Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hi I am new here and looking for Chaparral 2D detail pictures for my project.

I plan on taking the Mongram 2D kit and doing a super detail build with it. The kit is really weak so I am going to build a custom chassis, engine and so on.

So any pictures are going to be greatly appreciated and I will post pictures of the build as it goes along.

Thanks

Mike

I'd visit GPMA.org and look there. The yahoo group could also be helpful. I googled it and there is very little on this car. I hate to say it but you might have the best look using a die-cast as your reference material.

Mike

I searched google with very little luck too, I did find a desent video on YouTube of the 2D (Sebring body) being inspected with both the front and back body pieces removed.

Also found a cutaway drawing but it isn't that great, mostly because of the angle.

This might be useful:

MC_V3N8_p388.jpg

You can find the whole article here:

http://www.vsrnonline.com/Mags/MC/MC_Plans_1.htm

Scroll to near the bottom, in August 1966

And it’s worth exploring from here (the home page)

http://www.vsrnonline.com/VSRN_Main.html

They have a lot of Chaparral material... I haven’t found much more on the 2D (C, E and F, yes...), but I haven’t really looked exhaustively.

bestest,

M.

Thank you for the information, I had read that the Sebring & Daytona 2D were the same but with different bodies. But I didn't look for the 2

I am also looking for the right velocity stack for the 327, I would like to know if there are any good after market companies that you would suggest. I am also searching for the transmission as well. I have a ton of muscle cars both fully built and still in the box that I can scavenge the engine block from, but the transmission is the kicker.

Thank you for the information, I had read that the Sebring & Daytona 2D were the same but with different bodies. But I didn't look for the 2

I am also looking for the right velocity stack for the 327, I would like to know if there are any good after market companies that you would suggest. I am also searching for the transmission as well. I have a ton of muscle cars both fully built and still in the box that I can scavenge the engine block from, but the transmission is the kicker.

Hi Mike

The 2D used Weber Carbs with tall stacks. I seriously doubt you'll find a detailed trannie for the 2D. The Mini Exotics 2 has a fair replica of it but it's a stright axle not a independent rear. The closest in detail is in the IMC/Union 2E but it's in 1/25.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

I may have found some Weber carbs that I can make work, inthe the kits that I kept from the large haul I got moving my wife's aunt after her husband ran off ( about 150 or more kits ) there was a mostly completed Accurate Miniatures Corvette grand sport.

The body is painted & decaled, but the decals are smoke stained or something. So I am going to take the carbs, the engine is a 377 and I need a 327.

I need to find better wheels too, is there any after market companies that would have the right wheels?

As far as progress I have the front and back of the body removed and all the ducts opened so that I can use screen instead of painting the molded in screen.

Once I start taking pictures of this build should I post them here or start a new thread in another section

Received_19_10_2007215028-vi.jpg

Unless you are cutting open body panels, the only part of the powerplant that will be visible is the top. I used the upper half of a show truck block...

MVC051S-vi.jpg

...and made a platform to get it at the height I needed.

MVC052S-vi.jpg

I used Chaparrel resin wheels from Perry's; rears on the left; fronts on the right. I moto tooled the widths down to flush with the tires.

DSC00002-vi.jpg

This is a vintage kit, with slot car roots that go back to the sixtees. I was aiming for a decent shelf model.

DSC00006-vi.jpg

I am making the back and front body sections removable to show the entire engine and rear chassis including suspension I plan on doing the same on the front, showing the duct work & suspension. I have found good pictures of the 2d with the body removed ( even a video of the Sebring 2D on YouTube with fully exposed chassis).

I only plan on using the body and certain parts of the kit for this build, the rest is going to be scratch built.

I wlill search out those wheels, is there a website?

That is fantastic on the engine! It is already wired, just need to modify the manifold and set the weber carbs upright. Being the I work in an aerospace parts manufacturing plant I am thinking about machining the tall stacks for it out of aluminum and then painting them the right color. But I also am thinking of using aluminum tubing from the local hobby shop and swedging them out.

I looked for the Perry's Chaparral wheels and found that they no longer sell them. Is there any other source on these wheels. I have items for trade if anyone has a set. Lots of "parts" cars, partially done and untouched kits. Mostly drag cars, muscle cars & a few NASCAR kits that I would be willing to part with for parts for this project.

Well, I good news on the wheels but bad news for the Monogram kit. I talked the owner of my local hobby shop and he said the same thing everyone has said about finding a good set. So I am going to pick up the Fujimi 2D kit and start over.

This is ok though, it is a much better kit. I looked thru it and I will still be doing much of the same scratch building as it has the the same lack of internal detail.

I had gotten the most awesome email yesterday too, I got in contact with the Chaparral museum in Midland Texas, had a back and forth conversation with the curator about my build. So yesterday the guy in charge of the cars (Ron Lowe) contacted me because the curator forwarded my email to him. He sends me photo's of the car from his personal files and tells me that the next time he takes the body off he will take a bunch of detail pcs for my project.

I asked if it would be ok to send him pics of the build to critique them and let me know if every thing is looking right. He said he would love that and asked if I would like for him to ask Jim hall to sign it when it is done! I don't know about him signing the car itself, but I plan on scratch building the display and will find a way to place this signature

I thought it would be a long shot to ask the museum, but they are thrilled to see interest in the cars is still strong.

I picked up the Fujimi kit earlier l, I talked the shop owner into trading it for a few of my kits. I took a little bit of hit on the trade, but the kits were not as interesting to me as this build is. Traded a Lindberg Little Red Wagon, Revell O'Reily's top fuel, Revell "Chi-Town Hustler" and 2 Dale Earnheart NASCAR kits. But I am happy about the trade and my wife is happy that I didn't spend any money, at least not on the kit, picked up a flexi file too.

So now I get to start sanding and cutting body panels again.

How do I post pictures from my iPhone? I really want to post the picture Don Low sent of the engine.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry that it has been a while since an update.

I have taken a few pics of the progress, but have yet to upload them as I do not have Internet here at the house (except this iPhone). So I will have to get enough to do it at work.

So I have the body cut into sections, I plan on cutting the doors after I get the cockpit built so I have a sure size reference. I cut the transmission off at the point that the "half" transmission from the Fujimi kit starts and the fit was great. The kits transmission is far too round and the detail is mostly wrong or lacking, so using the picture of the engine Ron Low sent I puttied up the tranny. Using 1/16" styrene dowel, I made the raised bolt moldings on the top of the tranny and sanded in the detailing. Turned out well with minor imperfections that will mostly be hidden by the spare tire. Still need to add in the bolts though.

Started working on the new manifold, first sculpting it from Sculpy clay but wasn't pleased with the outcome (I use it for lure making, my other hobby that connects to my passion for fishing.). So I got out the .010" aluminum roof flashing and went to work, I will go into detail on this when I post the pictures. Same with the carbs and the modifications needed to make them work.

Should have some pictures up soon.

this is a bit off topic but i thought i would ask since it has bugged me since the 60s!

i always liked that monogram kit and have built one much like the one shown here with a motor stuck in the back and some aluminum intakes. but i have never been sure whether the actual car had those sailpanels in the rear? what i mean is they are more or less hollow on the inside and i always thought that might be a shortcut in the model manufacturing process and they were really supposed to be filled in. But now i see others have built what seem to be well researched models and left them as is. are they correct? what i mean is the panels with the quarter windows in them. you can see them well in this pic:

DSC00006-vi.jpg

and man that was great to have that kind of response from the museum! to get 1 of a kind photos exclusively for you...who would have thought they would be that cooperative! i gotta get to that museum one of these days!

great work and should be super when its done.

i dont think i have ever seen the fujimi version of this car...could you post a pic of the box art please? do you suspect it used the same molds as the monogram one with some mods or is it an entirely different animal all together?

this is a bit off topic but i thought i would ask since it has bugged me since the 60s!

i always liked that monogram kit and have built one much like the one shown here with a motor stuck in the back and some aluminum intakes. but i have never been sure whether the actual car had those sailpanels in the rear? what i mean is they are more or less hollow on the inside and i always thought that might be a shortcut in the model manufacturing process and they were really supposed to be filled in. But now i see others have built what seem to be well researched models and left them as is. are they correct? what i mean is the panels with the quarter windows in them. you can see them well in this pic:

DSC00006-vi.jpg

and man that was great to have that kind of response from the museum! to get 1 of a kind photos exclusively for you...who would have thought they would be that cooperative! i gotta get to that museum one of these days!

great work and should be super when its done.

i dont think i have ever seen the fujimi version of this car...could you post a pic of the box art please? do you suspect it used the same molds as the monogram one with some mods or is it an entirely different animal all together?

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1368&bih=774&q=fujimi+chaparral+2d&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

I am not 100% sure about the openings, the pic I have seen of the Daytona 2D that showed any thing with the rear body panel had it opened up at the track and I don't remember seeing them.

The Fujimi kit is the Sebring body and is a much better kit but still lacks in the detail department.

I figured it would be a long shot to ask the museum, but it paid off. I can't wait until he pulls the 2D out for the drive next time. We I upload the pics I will be sending him a few for any corrections needed, hopefully this might "inspire" him to give it an inspection so that he can get me the detail pictures.

I am not 100% sure about the openings, the pic I have seen of the Daytona 2D that showed any thing with the rear body panel had it opened up at the track and I don't remember seeing them.

The Fujimi kit is the Sebring body and is a much better kit but still lacks in the detail department.

I figured it would be a long shot to ask the museum, but it paid off. I can't wait until he pulls the 2D out for the drive next time. We I upload the pics I will be sending him a few for any corrections needed, hopefully this might "inspire" him to give it an inspection so that he can get me the detail pictures.

The body panels on the Daytona and '66 Sebring car from the rear window back were just body thickness open areas. If you are going to do a detailed version the inside was bare fiberglass.

The Fujimi kit is for the '66 Nurburing, LeMans and '67 Daytona / Sebring cars. If you are planning to do the '67 car you'll need to remove the "Parascope" rearview mirror and replace the small block with a 427. I'll be looking forward to seeing your build progress and hopefully the reference images from Midland, TX.

Ed