Model Cars Magazine Forum

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a model of an El Camino I owned many years ago . It had a 283 / 4 speed and was painted Roman Red with the Impala trim .

The model is a Revell '60 Impala with the roof and bed from the AMT '59 El Camino grafted on . I had to lengthen the bed about 1/4 " to line everything up , and modified the tailgate and rear bumper . I used the Revell chassis and modified it to show the bed floor and a new gas tank . The headers and exhaust were made from aluminum rod . The engine and tranny are from the revel '63 Impala . The tires are from Fireball Modelworks and I don't know where the Cragars came from , they were in my parts box .

I tried to replicate everything just like it was , right down to the 1987 license plate !

1_zpsb4b3e4cc.jpg

2_zpsb7f33a78.jpg

3_zps8513129f.jpg

4_zpsa7bfcb98.jpg

Just excellent!

• 6 months later...

I'm not sure what you are saying . . . SMP produced a promo style '60 El Camino and later AMT released the '59 El Camino which has been reissued several times . The SMP tooling is probably long gone and AMT isn't about to modify the tooling for the '59 since it is such a good seller . Likewise it's not very likely that Revell would modify or make all new tooling for a '60 as there isn't a big enough demand for it , the '57 Ranchero is a much more sensible choice .

As for my build , it is built using parts from both the '59 El Camino and the Revell '60 Impala .

Anyway , thanks for looking . . . I hope you liked it !

AMT-7660PB-2_zps7kxdip3n.jpg