Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Amx

Bruno

Here is my entry in the community muscle car build. A 1969 AMX built using an old JoHan kit and many parts from the parts box. Paint is automotive water basecoat followed by urethane clearcoat in bittersweet orange metallic. Decals are from Keith Marks. It has a 390 engine and tan interior. Also added torque trust wheels and T/A tires.

5db8d2cae0.jpg

e84f850b62.jpg

4b31cf011d.jpg

fed7ff4e41.jpg

59f34c492e.jpg

f08f63a0c7.jpg

c13003b301.jpg

511891d11d.jpg

Aaaahh!! Absolutely beautiful!! B)

Every time I see one of these in scale, it brings back many fond memories of my 1:1 '69 which also had a 390 + 4spd. Many gallons of high test burned in that one running the streets here in Central PA!

Where did you source the engine? I have a couple '69 Johan AMX's (as well as a '70) and the engine is very incorrect. Also the chassis looks very detailed with the separate exhausts......very nice!

You did a great job on this build. I had the kit as well, Jeff must of had a better version on newer release or something. The one I had didn't fit for anything. It was the Testors reissue of the JoHan kit. Oh well maybe I will give it a whirl again. Yours sure did turn out awesome though!

Thanx everyone.

I found out the engine in the kit is a 327. I wanted a 390 so I went to the parts box to find parts that looks like 390 parts. I used the kits 327 block, transmission and air cleaner, chevy small block heads and intake manifold, ford valve covers, mopar exhaust manifolds and front cover and oil filter from a viper engine. I used BMF on the air cleaner lid and hand painted the red and blue. I drilled the block and installed the distributor in front and wired it.

d073a21267.jpg

Interior is all from the kit, except I added seatbelts.

The chassis has a Challenger rear section and a road runner front section and I modified the front inner fenders to look somewhat like AMX inner fenders (the kit had pickup style inner fenders) I used the kit's firewall and fabricated the exhaust from various parts I had.

Jo-han kits are not known to be detailed kits, so some work and fabrication is needed to build a nice and detailed model. But Jo-Hans body's are awesome, and this AMX body is no exception.

Edited by Bruno

That's a magnificent build of one of the most attractive (I think) cars ever made. I always wondered (and more so after seeing this) why a full detail, new tool never caught the imagination of AMT, Revell, or even Trumpeter.

Having butchered up one of these many years ago, I can fully appreciate the work you put into this project. I'd score it an 11 on a scale of 10.

Well done. Very well done.