Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mack DM600 yard goat

Hi all
This is just a fun project as a relaxation from my other projects. This one will be build up only from old parts and spare parts. Well at least I will try to do it like this. Last year while I was looking for truck pics in the internet I find some of old fleet trucks which are used as so called “yard mules”. They got a lifting fifth wheel and a second life moving trailers around.
That is the idea behind the project. I started with an old build. It is a Mack DM 600 hood and cab on an Italeri frame started as a logging truck. I was not happy with that build so it is perfect for a second start.
The parts: Engine, AMT’s Detroit diesel changed into a six cylinder version. Frame and axels from Italeri. Transmission and rear springs, resin parts from the spare box. The tire and rims are from Revell. The rest, well from here and there. The used model was started with a normal frame from Italeri, built it together and placed the cab on it. It looks grate but it’s not very realistic, a strait frame not very common for Mack. The whole thing wasn’t that what it should be, not a Mack
That was the truck:
SAM_0633.JPG
I lowered the front springs, spread the frame in the front to make it more Mack like and shorted the frame for a single axel version. After the frame was changed the hood had to be hinged again to fit to the wider frame. The engine a Detroit Diesel 8V-71 from AMT was changed into a 6 cylinder version and with a Mack transmission it was placed into the frame.
With some small modifications everything fits quiet well. I know many of the Mack enthusiasts will be a bit disappointed of an DD in a Mack. But as the whole truck is build up from spare and used parts I would say the DD is grate.
SAM_1348.JPG
SAM_1352.JPG
SAM_1354.JPG
SAM_1359.JPG
SAM_1360.JPG
SAM_1361.JPG

Edited by Arnd

SAM_1362.JPG

SAM_1368.JPG

SAM_1369.JPG

SAM_1372.JPG

SAM_1373.JPG

SAM_1375.JPG

SAM_1376.JPG

SAM_1377.JPG

The pictures are not very well but I hope they are still good enough to get an impression how this think is started. I will post some mode detail pics tomorrow.

So long

Arnd

Edited by Arnd

I like this too

And a DD in a Mack is Not unheard of. They Sold a truck the way the buyer wanted it,

If it was ordered new.

And an engine can always be a replacement!!

Being a yard Mule, it very well Could have had a replaced engine!

If sold New with a different brand Engine Mack painted the hood mounted Bulldog Gold,

If it had a Mack Engine, it was Chrome

(I think that is correct. Or is it backwards?? and the Cold was for a MACK engine,

and Chrome other supplier??)

Edited by Edsel-Dan

I like this too

And a DD in a Mack is Not unheard of. They Sold a truck the way the buyer wanted it,

If it was ordered new.

And an engine can always be a replacement!!

Being a yard Mule, it very well Could have had a replaced engine!

If sold New with a different brand Engine Mack painted the hood mounted Bulldog Gold,

If it had a Mack Engine, it was Chrome

(I think that is correct. Or is it backwards?? and the Cold was for a MACK engine,

and Chrome other supplier??)

Mack engine, trans & drive axles gave you a GOLD dog.

Any vendor engine, regardless of drive train, a Chrome dog was standard

Now if the DM was a factory 4x2, with ONE drive axle, Then this is a DM-400T (T - tractor)

Hallo all

First of all thanks a lot for all the information and advices. The thing with the color of the bulldog is really nice. It seems that for Mack it was important that everyone could immediately recognize if its a mack with a real mack heart or not.

I tried to change the title but it didnt work or better said I do not find out how to do it. Perhaps someone can tell me how it works.

I worked again on the Mack the last few days. I reworked the steering system and moved it to the inner side of the frame the original shaft from the kit has to be a bit reworked to fit with the cab.

SAM_1383.JPG

SAM_1393.JPG

I restarted the fifth wheel. The one I build up is more common on the real yard mules as I remarked on many pics in the internet. And with the advice from Gary it is clear that the fifth wheel has to be reworked. I started with the frame.

SAM_1460.JPG

SAM_1461.JPG

Then I added the bars which hold the fifth wheel and make it possible to elevate it. There are some little details still missing but the main part is done.

SAM_1466.JPG

SAM_1467.JPG

The fifth wheel it self is from Revel I reworked it, added a working king pin jaws and the king pin jaw locking cylinder. It is not perfect but it works.

SAM_1462.JPG

SAM_1463.JPG

I hope to have tomorrow some more time to work on that old lady.

So long

Arnd

Hallo all

Gary, you do not have to apologize I am very thankful for all this advices which make it possible to build up the truck as realistic as possible. I didn’t like it my self from the beginning on because it is definitely not for such a truck build and I had a big problem with the lifting hydraulic cylinder because of the rear axel it was impossible o fix it in place. I worked again a bit on the truck just a little progress.

SAM_1468.JPG

SAM_1469.JPG

And one with the whole trailer. Looks nice that girl.

SAM_1470.JPG

I tried some thing out like the place for the battery boxes instead of the right fuel tank and about the air tanks. In my mind Mack uses air starter. Now with all this thoughts many questions come up. How many batteries do Macks have? Do they work with 12 or 24 volt? Do all Macks have air starter or is it optional? I hope some of you has some answers for me. Thanks for your effort.

So long

Arnd

Really looking good.

Air start is a customer spec (very expensive) and could be applied to most any engine back then.Lots of pros and cons to it. If you put air start, the starter motor itself is considerablly different in appearance and there will need to be a third very large air resevoir somewhere. Some of the big fleets have had an on again off again affair with them but I have not seen many of them in recent years. With the advent of electronics, starting is a lot easier than it used to be...atleast as long as the electronics work.

If you use air start on your kit, then TYPICALLY you only have pure 12V system and one or sometimes two batteries tops. No need for massive battery power so one battery box will be the norm.

Most non air start trucks back then were 24V with (4) 12v batteries. I have seen a few with 12V, 36V, and 48V starters and of course more batteries. Again, variations exist but the rest of the truck USUALLY remains 12V. You can get all into series and parallel circuits to figure out how that works. Keep in mind I am dating myself and been out of the game for many years. Senility is possible so someone feel free to pipe in.

Air starts are fun in real life. They are going to spin that engine no matter what and are quite noisy. Very unique noise. Check one out on Youtube. Air start is great just as long as there is not water or fuel on top of a piston (it will bend a rod in a second) and there is air in the tank. If you want to do some research on them Ingersol is one of the more common builders of these starters.

Really neat truck.

Edited by olsbooks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hallo all

I had some time and worked again on the Mack. The brake system is ready and plumbed. The air tanks, the valves, air dryer and brake chambers are on the right place. The air brake valves were reworked and cast in resin. Like this it is easier to use them on different trucks. The electrical wires are on the right place. I worked out the hydraulic system with the tank and switch unit for the fifth wheel cylinder. On the right side the battery boxes are placed instead of the fuel tank. The front shock absorber, the rear lights, the brackets for the rear mud flaps and many many more little details were added.

SAM_0781.JPG

SAM_0783.JPG

SAM_0785.JPG

SAM_0798.JPG

SAM_0803.JPG

SAM_0805.JPG

SAM_0806.JPG

SAM_0807.JPG

SAM_0804.JPG

Excellent work!

Since your Mack is for lighter duty, it would be a U-600 instead of a DM-600. The DM stood for Dump/Mixer. The U series (U-600 and U-400) were lighter weight springs, axles and frame rails for highway duty. The U used the same cab/hood/grille/ etc as the DM's.

Tim