Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th 57 Chevy Turbo ProMod (03-14-13) Finished Bull-Horns with V-band clamps

Prostreet

Bart:

Center to center is 7-9/16"

398668722.jpg

joe, minimum of 2 inches of the ground behind the front tire. 3 inches in front of the front tire..

2" (1:1) = .125" (1/16) and 3" = .1875

That looks HOT!!! Makes me want to purchase one now. :) I am very excited for you in this build, this is going to look fantastic!

First off I want to say, build the chassis how you like and to what makes you happy because I don't want to create any bad feels with you or anyone else on the forum. I am here just to help others achieve that next level, if scale realism is what you would like to go after.

With that being said, if you are interested here is my feedback.

If you are looking to build your chassis close to scale, my suggestion would be to roll your rear wheel forward and shorten that wheelbase. Your 7 9/16" works out to be a scale 121" which is longer than the Maximum requirements. If you can my suggestion would be to shorten it up by 3/8 and you will be right at the Max 115 inches for the scale requirements or you can go even smaller. Each car is different, as mine is sitting right at 112" wheelbase.

No worries Bart, I like the feedback and like to know what other modelers suggest. I'm always looking to improve and make things better, So far i'm happy the way it is turning out. Going to move the rear wheel up and see what it looks like. Hope to have some more pictures of progress tonight.

Been to busy to get much more done right now, managed to get some of the rear done. This is the third shot at the rear section, I didn't like the first two i did. Still have to add some more bars and the body mounts, Not sure if i'm putting the batteries or the fire bottle back there yet. Hoping for rain tommarrow so i can work on this lol.

398734235.jpg

398734233.jpg

398734238.jpg

Been to busy to get much more done right now, managed to get some of the rear done. This is the third shot at the rear section, I didn't like the first two i did. Still have to add some more bars and the body mounts, Not sure if i'm putting the batteries or the fire bottle back there yet. Hoping for rain tommarrow so i can work on this lol.

398734238.jpg

Joe, it looks pretty darn good to me from here. Very impressive for your first go round, I applaud you taking this on as your first chassis build! What rear end will you be using? The Mark Williams 11" or the Fabricated 9" rear? The best thing for you to do unless you have already done this is set up your chassis at ride height, set the rear end in at Ride Height. This way you can tell if your rear section is kicked up high enough. As well as being far enough apart to accept the 4 Link once mounted to the rear axle section. And last but not least your rear shocks will line up perpendicular to your rear axle and mount in the right spot.

If you have those things all aligned and your tongue sticking out just right and the stars aligned you should be good. Don't worry I tore my rear section off multiple times because of the above things... And of course not liking how it was coming together.

May I suggest as well, to cut your Access Hole in the Rear Deck lid of your 57. This way you can look down in side and make sure the chassis isn't riding anything on the body. I like to draw a center line on the front of my car and the rear on the inside. This is how I know the chassis is staying aligned with the body as well.

Thx. Bart, Using the mark williams rear. I aligned everything off the rear at ride height like you said, That's why i had to redo it the first time lol. I also cut out the access hole, only thing i didn't like is the rear section is a little lower than the access hole to my liking, would have liked it up a little tighter but most of the 57's i was able to get decent pictures of kinda looked the same. Need to order my tubs from TDR, there 1/16th lenco looks pretty sweet to. Trying to get them to do some of there turbos,steering racks and u-joints in 1/16th also. Hopefully i will be able to knock out the rear tommarrow and start on the front.

Thx. Bart, Using the mark williams rear. I aligned everything off the rear at ride height like you said, That's why i had to redo it the first time lol. I also cut out the access hole, only thing i didn't like is the rear section is a little lower than the access hole to my liking, would have liked it up a little tighter but most of the 57's i was able to get decent pictures of kinda looked the same. Need to order my tubs from TDR, there 1/16th lenco looks pretty sweet to. Trying to get them to do some of there turbos,steering racks and u-joints in 1/16th also. Hopefully i will be able to knock out the rear tommarrow and start on the front.

Good to hear... I have the tubs ordered not sure if I will use them or not, but we will see. I saw the Lenco tranny sections, plan on buying them, but kinda expensive for 4 parts, but Dave says they are pretty detailed stuff with the materials they are using. I was going to send them an email about making some Ujoints in 1/16 as well. I would like to have a set, and shouldn't be to hard for them since they already have them in 1/8 scale.

My rear section is pretty much complete, just need to get my Wishbone mounts in place (need to decide do I want it above or below my rear end on the Mark Williams 11") and my mounts for my two bottles (fire suppression) mounted up. Waiting on my first order from Jim L, so I can wrap up some of the details and possibly have him work on cutting a few more things for me.

Then wrap up the tranny mounts, Tranny tunnel and pedal mounts... Chute Pulls, pulls for fire suppression system, and NOS bottle mounts. and stuff like that in the drivers area.

Man...another FANtastic build going on right here...... B) B)

Joe, great to see you joining the growing list of larger scale ProMod action. :) May need to add one 'o these 57's to my list.... :wub:

The chassis work so far looks excellent mate. Can't wait to see what's next.

Edited by stump

Nice work Joe. How do you like the 57 body? I can't wait to see more pics.

Paul, the body is very nice. They are on the thick side which is good because it makes them less fragile, the nose on mine the one side flares out a hair more than the other . The only way i noticed it was when i traced the outline onto the paper, But other than that i like it alot. Flash point is working on a 68 camaro promod i wanna pick that up next.

Good to hear... I have the tubs ordered not sure if I will use them or not, but we will see. I saw the Lenco tranny sections, plan on buying them, but kinda expensive for 4 parts, but Dave says they are pretty detailed stuff with the materials they are using. I was going to send them an email about making some Ujoints in 1/16 as well. I would like to have a set, and shouldn't be to hard for them since they already have them in 1/8 scale.

My rear section is pretty much complete, just need to get my Wishbone mounts in place (need to decide do I want it above or below my rear end on the Mark Williams 11") and my mounts for my two bottles (fire suppression) mounted up. Waiting on my first order from Jim L, so I can wrap up some of the details and possibly have him work on cutting a few more things for me.

Then wrap up the tranny mounts, Tranny tunnel and pedal mounts... Chute Pulls, pulls for fire suppression system, and NOS bottle mounts. and stuff like that in the drivers area.

Bart:

Tim replied back and put the steering rack and u-joints on his site in 1/16th and will have the turbos up there shortly, The lenco is a bit pricey, I will probably just use the flashpoint one for this build. I think it will detail up nicely.

Man...another FANtastic build going on right here...... B) B)

Joe, great to see you joining the growing list of larger scale ProMod action. :) May need to add one 'o these 57's to my list.... :wub:

The chassis work so far looks excellent mate. Can't wait to see what's next.

Thanks Greg.

Bart:

Tim replied back and put the steering rack and u-joints on his site in 1/16th and will have the turbos up there shortly, The lenco is a bit pricey, I will probably just use the flashpoint one for this build. I think it will detail up nicely.

Thanks Joe, I see the 1/8 and 1/12 u-joints but nothing in 1/16 yet. Either I missed it or he hasn't put them up yet. Patiently waiting and Thanks for the update!

Flash point is working on a 68 camaro promod i wanna pick that up next.

I will hold off, the Camaro is nice, but I want the other two he is working on. 68 Mustang and 63 Corvette.

I have pictures of the 68 Mustang, and it looks really nice. It is in primer now, but needs a few tweaks based on what Terry is saying. As for the 63, my understanding it is a ways off from being added to the site for purchase. I guess, I will either wait for Flashpoint to finish his 63 or I will be working on my own Pro Mod using an original 63 1/16 model. Just have to figure how much time I want to spend on body work. :D

I will hold off, the Camaro is nice, but I want the other two he is working on. 68 Mustang and 63 Corvette.

I have pictures of the 68 Mustang, and it looks really nice. It is in primer now, but needs a few tweaks based on what Terry is saying. As for the 63, my understanding it is a ways off from being added to the site for purchase. I guess, I will either wait for Flashpoint to finish his 63 or I will be working on my own Pro Mod using an original 63 1/16 model. Just have to figure how much time I want to spend on body work. :D

Ahh, I have a 1/16th 55 chevy i wanna do as a prostreet car. May have to start on that this winter. Stop holding out on the mustang pictures :D PM maybe? lol

Joe... your build is coming along very nice man. Any more updates to share with us?? Can't wait to see more.

Bart... I can't wait to see what Terry at flashpoint has in store for the 68 and 63 Vette. I keep tossing around a few ideas for bodies for the pro mod I want to build and still debating on cutting up a body that I have or go with a resin body. although I am undecided at this point.

Ahh, I have a 1/16th 55 chevy i wanna do as a prostreet car. May have to start on that this winter. Stop holding out on the mustang pictures :D PM maybe? lol

Joe I am all over the place with builds... lol... I have been eyeing a 41 Willys in 1/16 scale that I would like to build up as a Pro Street/Pro Touring car as well.

Joe... your build is coming along very nice man. Any more updates to share with us?? Can't wait to see more.

Bart... I can't wait to see what Terry at flashpoint has in store for the 68 and 63 Vette. I keep tossing around a few ideas for bodies for the pro mod I want to build and still debating on cutting up a body that I have or go with a resin body. although I am undecided at this point.

Chris, or I could always wait on you to build a nice body and see if I can talk you out of it! :rolleyes:

lol, i hear ya Bart. Chris haven't had any time last 2 days, Hope to work on it tommarrow night and have some updates.

Joe I hear you when you don't have the time. I know there are times that I just want to build and can't cause of other things that life brings up. Look forward to more soon

Bart, Yeah i received an email from shapeways that my order didn't hit the printer yet, just excited to get the turbos lol.

Chris, Yeah been getting ready for winter, Once it starts getting dark at 5pm i will hit it hard.

So i didn't like the original motor mount/firewall, so i redid it and got it skinned. will still need some final body work and i want to round the edges more where the inserts are, I received my order from RB Motion so i can get started on my suspension and links once i get my motor mount and the trans mount done.

398877489.jpg

398877487.jpg