Model Cars Magazine Forum

Does anyone out there carry the aircleaner for a mack r model with a tip turbine setup? I believe that the aircleaner is taller than the one in the amt kit, and also has provisions for 2 intake hoses. I could modify the kit one, but was hoping that someone already took the time to do so. Thanks

AMTI resin do a full resin kit of the rubber duck truck with the correct airfillter . But thats very expensive ! Here is a pic of the fillter on my duck truck the fillter is from an Italiari western star with the correct bands and pipes heated to fit .You are correct the hight is different and the bands are in different places on the can

post-10436-0-62451000-1373984268_thumb.j

You may have to alter the hood slightly for the pipes to fit snuggly if you need any more help just ask somone will be able to help you

That pic helped out a lot actually. I hadn't thought of aitm. I am mostly gathering parts and plans for future builds right now. I've been so busy with work and planning a wedding for the beginning of september that its really cut into my build time. I really appreciate the help.

look for ne of the old MPC macks,they have the tall cleaner on them.It is chrome but is easily painted over,also some of the macks had a small scoop mounted backwards on the hood,it was a sign of the bigger mack motor,there is a name for it but I cant think of it right now.On the cleaner it has 2 hoses one is to let the motor use heated air when it is cold out,kind of a recirculating feature?. Harvey

the macks with the scoop on the hood were called a 300+ .meaning it could of had 315 hp. or 350hp.as for the air cleaner.i think the mack cruiseliner kit had the the can with the duel intake holes.which you might be able to use.the cruiseliner kits are very expensive now but you might be able to find a gluebomb on ebay or even trade for the part in the trade section.hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...

Your best bet is to scratch one. the tall top cleaners in the MPC / AMT /ERTL DM-800 has the side detail for starting the process, but the true unit you are looking for has not been modeled or offered in resin by anyone. In the real world of truckin & power from any of the 673 -675's w. SCAC, we found that when under load, the tip fan pulled air so hard that it would starve the engine of combustion air.

SCAC = Series Charge Air Cooled, this was the cooler that was part of the intake manifold front 1/2. The tip fan (also called the tip turbine) was driven by pressurized air via a small pipe connecting the fan turbine to the engine intake air tube between the intake turbo outlet & the cooler / manifold inlet. when more power is needed & the driver presses down on the accelerator, more fuel to the engine = hotter exhaust - spins the turbocharger faster = pushes more air to the tip fan, which is pulling filtered air from the same air cleaner to blow across the manifold mounted cooler. It is this action that was starving the engine of combustion air. The end result was Mack adding the reversed hood scoop to the hood. In the quarry, we added a second air cleaner (on the DM-800's) under the front fender, right behind the head lamp to feed only the engine combustion air (turbo intake).

Then the air cleaner up on the side of the cab feeds air only to the cooling airflow thru the tip fan & cooler grid.

In my files i have the engineering layout for how this works, i will dig it out & post it later. I will also find a few photos of the under hood connections for the "hood Scoop" SCAC.

Ap40

Thank you Rick for the wealth of information. I had a feeling I was going to be scratchbuilding one if I decided to go with it. I will have to make a trip to measure up the truck I am wanting to replicate. Again, thank you for the info.

Chris

i have make the air intake for the rubber duck whit two hoses [ its from aitm , the rubber duck kit ]was only one

after lookin at a lot of pictures make the second hose connection [ can see on the forum rd ]

aitm have a brockway 361 resinmodel if i am correct

and i am glad richard for al the info , thanks its make a lot of clear whit good pictures

jacobus

i have make the air intake for the rubber duck whit two hoses [ its from aitm , the rubber duck kit ]was only one

after lookin at a lot of pictures make the second hose connection [ can see on the forum rd ]

aitm have a brockway 361 resinmodel if i am correct

and i am glad richard for al the info , thanks its make a lot of clear whit good pictures

jacobus

AITM only has the 700 series so far, none of the 300's as of yet

Ap40