Model Cars Magazine Forum

49' Mercury Speedster.. It's Done 5/4/13

BKcustoms

This has a lot of potential. Mike has a good eye in suggesting the rear overhang being too long...though I propose an alternative solution in relocating the rear wheels back a little bit rather than losing some tail length. Doing so would also help alleviate the slightly bloated look the current proportions give the roof, by creating a visual path that comes down the roofline and into the wheels, rather than behind them.

Since everybody is giving advice I will add my two-bits worth! I think that smaller wheels would change the overall look for the better. OK, I admit that I don't like the large new type wheels on 'classic' cars but those wheels are so large that it has an almost cartoony look to it. I like the lowered look, that made a big difference and maybe a flatter roof line would fit in with the lower line? (Easy for all of us, we are not doing the work!)

This has a lot of potential. Mike has a good eye in suggesting the rear overhang being too long...though I propose an alternative solution in relocating the rear wheels back a little bit rather than losing some tail length. Doing so would also help alleviate the slightly bloated look the current proportions give the roof, by creating a visual path that comes down the roofline and into the wheels, rather than behind them.

I agree, perhaps 3"16?

I'm no fan of modern wheels either, Daniel...though I think they might be fine on this one, if I can foresee the final product correctly. (I eez a wheezird! :P)

I agree, perhaps 3"16?

Might be enough, at that. There's a lot of room to wiggle around in back there. I'd just start moving a wheel around and see what pulled the lines into good mojo. It's there somewhere. :)

Thanks a bunch for all the suggestions guys, I did a quick photoshop to see how it would look with the wheel openings moved and I think I'll go ahead and move them back. It'll be a lot of work to get the chassis to line up but it really helps with the huge overhang behind the rear wheels.

49mercwheelopeningsmoved.jpg

I'm cutting the wheel openings now. Hopefully this works out!

Thanks Bill! this is the first build where I've just made it up as I went and I'm having a ton of fun with it.

I managed to get the rear wheel openings roughed in, I cut both of them out with 1/4 inch of plastic behind them and then just swapped the left for the right and right for left to end up with both sides moved back 1/4 inch.

100_2770.jpg

Wow! I am really liking this one, great concept. I'll be looking forward to seeing this one progress.

I'm going to agree with Daniel G on seeing what a smaller wheel would look like, not too small though. Maybe the big inch smoothies out of that Snap Fast Slammer car.

I'm woorking on my Merc tonight too (49 Merc Extreme Custom)

Thanks for the compliment John, I really appreciate it!

Erik, I've been following your merc from the start and it is part of what gave me the push to try out so many new things on this. And I have a plan in mind to make the wheels fit the car a little better, I just need to do some photoshops to see if it'll look right..

Nice trick on the opening swap.

Nice call on moving the wheels back instead of chopping off the trunk, I hadn't considered that option.

Kudos to Billy for allowing us to kibitz on his great idea, I may borrow some of these techniques for my own future builds.

Anyone that hasn't checked out Mark Gustafsen's Kustom Car Clinic (may have spelled that wrong), go have a look, he has good tips on tweeking custom design elements.

Nice trick on the opening swap.

Nice call on moving the wheels back instead of chopping off the trunk, I hadn't considered that option.

Kudos to Billy for allowing us to kibitz on his great idea, I may borrow some of these techniques for my own future builds.

Agreed on all points. I'm really enjoying this build.

Since it's still a relatively large but roundish car I'd suggest a medium to dark metallic color-something like the old Testor Kiln Red or a dark metallic green.If you want to go the opposite way try a pale yellow-something like Model Master Phoenician Yellow.

That does look loads better. Can I throw one more monkey in the mix? Now that the proportions are really coming together, one thing stands out yet - it's a bit thick though the cowl region. A pie-section out of the lower body would really bring this home, I think! Maybe 3/16 or so at the back of the front wheelwell, to 0 at the front of the rear.

Color? Something dark and sparkly! :P Tamiya Mica Blue, perhaps? Or maybe Testors Nassau Blue over a white base...Cruz did something modern in that color recently that really looked killer.

Good idea I had not even thought about a name yet. I'm not sure what to do with the headlights and grill yet, I'm thinking about 53 corvette ones and a 60 corvette grill or maybe Porsche style headlights angled back at the top with a stock grill.

Edited by BKcustoms