Model Cars Magazine Forum

Acrylic paints and floor polish. Tips to save money and get great results

• 2 months later...

Chris,

I experimented with Anita's Yellow and a Copper color from another manufacturer. It took a little practice with the speed and distance, but I was pleasantly surprised with the results. I sprayed the copper second and it laid down perfectly. I suspect that I had more success with the copper because I had already practiced with the yellow. In any event, I was also surprised with the coverage. I painted cut foam board pictures. I sprayed the side with the images to gauge the coverage. I achieved good coverage, even with the yellow. I plan to experiment with some clears, including Future, this weekend. I've heard of a few builders using Future as a barrier coat to more aggressive paints. I might give the barrier coat a try, primarily to see what happens. Thanks for posting your tips.

Rick

Chris,

I am glad you posted this. I have been a Dupli-Color guy since I started modeling. I have a couple non-model related things I want to spray and it always seems too humid when I do have the chance to paint (I have to spray outdoors). Being water-based this material should not be affected by humidity (plus I got an old hairdryer from my ex-girlfriend). I'm going to wait til you post the clear video before I attempt this.

Since I had to go to W/M today anyway I went down the craft aisle. I got the flat Apple Barrel acrylics you use for 50 cents a bottle. I spent a whopping $6.00 on 12 different colors. I already have Future and windshield washer fluid.

Thanks again and I can't wait for the clear video. I want to give this a try. It may well change the way I paint.

Chris,

I am glad you posted this. I have been a Dupli-Color guy since I started modeling. I have a couple non-model related things I want to spray and it always seems too humid when I do have the chance to paint (I have to spray outdoors). Being water-based this material should not be affected by humidity (plus I got an old hairdryer from my ex-girlfriend). I'm going to wait til you post the clear video before I attempt this.

Since I had to go to W/M today anyway I went down the craft aisle. I got the flat Apple Barrel acrylics you use for 50 cents a bottle. I spent a whopping $6.00 on 12 different colors. I already have Future and windshield washer fluid.

Thanks again and I can't wait for the clear video. I want to give this a try. It may well change the way I paint.

Here is the Clear coat with future video. I also have many more how I do it vids up on my channel. If you get a chance take a look at my Tutorials section.

Again, thank you sir! I think I should have enough info to give this a try. I'm going to set up my airbrush and compressor to your specs. More'nlikely I won't get to it til,at least, next weekend. I will let you know how things turn out.

I appreciate your input.