Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hey everyone :D I know a lot of us here like trains, both real and scale so I figured I'd start a train thread for everyone. I saw Highway's plastic kit thread was getting discussion on electric trains and the "Interests outside of model cars" thread involved real ones. So that we don't steal threads and such, I thought this was a good idea.

I think this should be open to All kinds from scale to 1:1. From Locomotives that you've detailed or rolling stock, To pictures you have taken along the lines. I Hope you all enjoy it and jump in with anything you have to share B)

I figure maybe I'll start this with some of my H.O. Scale trains that are some of my favorites. I do intend to detail and weather a lot of my stuff. Actually I never thought I had what it takes but I have learned so much here at MCM that now I can apply it here to my other "models" I hope you like them. First up is one I stole off ebay for dirt cheap....

DSC06506.jpg

BNSF C44-9 from Athern

DSC06509.jpg

Santa Fe, I don't remember the type B) By Spectrum

DSC06512.jpg

Santa Fe GP38-2 by Athern. I bought this one when I was 16.

DSC06513.jpg

Southern Pacific C44-9 by Athern

DSC06517.jpg

Soo Lines GP38-2 by Athern. Another one I bought at 16. I need to restore her.

DSC06524.jpg

CRI&P switcher (Dummy) by Athern. This is a thrift store find I plan on restoring.

DSC06530.jpg

CRI&P GP-9 by RSO. Thrift store find.

DSC06520.jpg

Southern Pacific Daylight by Bachmann. Ebay score for $25 with shipping.

DSC06532.jpg

F59PHI by Athern Genesis that I will painting to match this........

DSC06539.jpg

Cab control car with 2 other passenger cars from the Seattle Sounder.

Great idea Brian! I guess this will give me an excuse to drag the trains out of the closet! B)

Just in case some of you missed my thread Brian mentioned, this is the model he was refering to in that thread.

Revell of Germany (Monogram Snaptite) Union Pacific "Big Big" 4-6-6-4 #4006

HPIM1709.jpg

This was also pictured in that thread, but this is a powered unit for my someday layout.

Spectrum Cass Scenic Railroad Shay #5 with Walthers Cass Scenic Railroad C&O style Wooden Caboose

HPIM2805.jpg

And the two together.

HPIM2807.jpg

I also have another train model to build, a 1/25 scale MPC kit.

HPIM2797.jpg

HPIM2798.jpg

I'll have to dig out the rest of my HO engines and rolling stock, I have some that are quite special I want to share. :D

Matt, you need to build the General for a heavy haul B)

Either you're joking or you just don't pay attenion in the chat room!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::D

That is the plan for the "General", it will be a part of a heavy haul truck convoy.

The Bachmann engine is from their Spectrum line and it is a Dash 8-40CW.

Thanks bud! I was thinking around those lines but brain farted. That one I picked up for around $30 and it pulls like a champ. Has Kadees on it but the roof visors fell off. Some rails are warped and need replaced. I want to detail it and get one more just like it to make a BNSF patched unit.

Here are some BNSF trains I caught in Williams, Arizona ( Flagstaff area ) It was pouring and I had to pretect the camera but it was worth it.

DSC04495.jpg

DSC04496.jpg

DSC04501.jpg

DSC04502.jpg

DSC04503.jpg

DSC04505.jpg

This one used to be a bridge for the old school days of Santa Fe having passenger service.

The sign is coming back through the paint and you can read " It's fun to ride " Santa Fe

DSC04566.jpg

Hot shot intermodal/container trains are awesome. Big power, multiple units, and long stacks.

Grain trains here are also sweet; 100+ hoppers of all shapes riding behind Dashes and big EMD power. Until GM shut down the Moraine facility, along with the DMax plant and most of the Delphi plants, we had some nice auto carrier trains as well as boxes of auto parts.....sadly most are gone now.

Edited by whale392

I don't have a train layout anymore, Mom gave it away when I returned from the service in late 69.

It was 32 foot long and sixteen foot wide, took up the entire attic.

All Lionel 027 I believe.

All I have left are some old metal cars that used to be on the trainset.

Hot shot intermodal/container trains are awesome. Big power, multiple units, and long stacks.

Grain trains here are also sweet; 100+ hoppers of all shapes riding behind Dashes and big EMD power. Until GM shut down the Moraine facility, along with the DMax plant and most of the Delphi plants, we had some nice auto carrier trains as well as boxes of auto parts.....sadly most are gone now.

I still love the autoracks. I have a couple big auto unloading spots around here. The Union Pacific yard is hard to get to but BNSF serves the far west valley. That yard is so big an independant company uses some GP9's.

I don't have a train layout anymore, Mom gave it away when I returned from the service in late 69.

It was 32 foot long and sixteen foot wide, took up the entire attic.

All Lionel 027 I believe.

All I have left are some old metal cars that used to be on the trainset.

I have one Lionel set that is still boxed. Steam engine with a tender that makes noise as a part rotates around. Sorry to hear you don't have your layout anymore.

Brian,

I love your Williams BNSF pics. The cold gray rainy drizzle reminded me of Autumn in NE Ohio- kinda made me homesick. :huh:

I saved a couple snaps in my screen saver slideshow, I hope you don't mind.

Regards,

David G.

Hey I do not mind at all David! In fact that style of shot makes me Really miss the 3 years I lived north of Seattle. I had a park I went to relax after work almost everyday. It was like rain forest then you walked up an Aztec style stairway to a bridge. The bridge went over a 2 track mainline with a siding shared by BNSF, Amtrak,(including the beautiful Amtrak Cascades Talbo units) and the Seattle Sounder. After the bridge was a spiral stair case that dropped you down on the sandy beach of the Puget Sound. I'd watch the trains rain or shine. The worst part is I had no camera so the only pics I have are in my head and who knows how long that will last :huh:

Hey I do not mind at all David! In fact that style of shot makes me Really miss the 3 years I lived north of Seattle. I had a park I went to relax after work almost everyday. It was like rain forest then you walked up an Aztec style stairway to a bridge. The bridge went over a 2 track mainline with a siding shared by BNSF, Amtrak,(including the beautiful Amtrak Cascades Talbo units) and the Seattle Sounder. After the bridge was a spiral stair case that dropped you down on the sandy beach of the Puget Sound. I'd watch the trains rain or shine. The worst part is I had no camera so the only pics I have are in my head and who knows how long that will last B)

I think that actually is rain forest up there. The only one in North America, I believe. It sounds like a beautiful place, adding the trains to a setting like that could only make it better.

Thanks again for sharing the pics.

Regards,

David G.

Next up is the steam engine from the GCR. It's a 1906 American Locomotive Co. 2-8-0. This engine pulled the train from Williams, Arizona to the Grand Canyon for years before the Alco units arrived. I think she is down now do to the boiler is in need of overhaul. I hopw to ask these guys for more pictures from the yard. They have another steam engine and from the freeway I could tell they have VIA F or E unit in storage. Enjoy!

DSC04594.jpg

DSC04590.jpg

DSC04600.jpg

DSC04599.jpg

DSC04591.jpg

DSC04592.jpg

Edited by Railfreak78