Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ancient history 32nd scale GMC General double sleeper

While I feel somewhat sorry for other people's ancient builds, I feel sorry for a few of my own, too. A decals wanted thread here at MCM prompted me to fish out another of my ancient history builds just to see how it was holding together in storage, and to see if it was salvageable for display again. Not too bad, had to pop a couple of pieces back on temporarily with Elmer's glue just so they'd stay put for the photos.

I built it in late 1981, an effort to combine what I preferred from the Monogram Bison & General kits, with an excuse to indulge in my liking of double sleepers. From the Chevy, I chose its quarter fenders, capped straight stacks, air deflector & bumper (minus some lights), and I used the General's grille and headache rack. The 'tag-axle-in-the-air' appearance is not intentional, but is instead an indicator that my frame extension ended up not being all that happy over time.

489013374_GMCGeneralfr.JPG.fa6245dd87efb5933428e99760b7db40.JPG

1565904645_GMCGeneralbk.JPG.de0bf1adabac4fc167391d9075f2816f.JPG

741773781_Generalhiview.JPG.e0758da5eccc9cbf93091aee98b0935b.JPG

1080062547_GMCGeneralsd.JPG.70176990ac90b54c23b20b552effca13.JPG

Fun exercise in a simple original paint design, but built with rather inexperienced teenage model building skills. I'd say it is worthy of some restoration / cleanup work: polishing out the orange peel, ditching the air deflector, blackwash for the grille, fixing / lengthening the frame a bit more, substituting some better wheels and tires, plus some other tweaks to punch up its appearance. Wouldn't take a whole lot to get it looking really nice and sharp.

Edited by Russell C
fixed busted photo links