Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi Roadster

o-man

Haven't seen many of these done on any of the forums I surf. Not much done other than wash parts and glue on rocker panels. Surprising that it has REAL suspension springs. Decent details; left and right hand drive dashes. Reminds me of a Tamiya model. Did read something about bad dash fit causing body not to sit correctly; we'll see. Somewhat leaning towards a metallic Gunmetal with black and brown interior and brown top vs. ubiquitous red. I am very open to suggestions for color other than Sublime Green Mike! Also thinking about aftermarket wheels from pictures below.

DSCN2143-vi.jpg
DSCN2144-vi.jpg
DSCN2145-vi.jpg
DSCN2146-vi.jpg
DSCN2147-vi.jpg
DSCN2162-vi.jpg

Edited by o-man

Made some headway this afternoon.
Body in primer.
DSCN2163-vi.jpg

Chassis in body color, still needs details for heat shield.
DSCN2164-vi.jpg

Body painted with top to show color contrast and with different wheels. Paint may have too much "flake" in it. Krylon Gunmetal metallic. Leaning towards the second set of wheels, but with spokes painted silver. Opinions welcomed.
DSCN2166-vi.jpg
DSCN2167-vi.jpg
DSCN2168-vi.jpg
DSCN2170-vi.jpg

Very nice Mazda Miata MX-5 NB. The body colour/soft top colour go well together. As the car was designed to be as light-weight as possible, the appearance of the ten spoke wheels best match that thinking in my opinion. It looks like the six spoke whites are larger in diameter and to me don't suit the car as well. I will enjoy following this one. Thanks for posting.

A little update. Tried something I read about in tips and tricks forum about using dull clear to knock down some of the flake. Not sure it made a difference.
Body after two Krylon flat clear coats.
DSCN2171-vi.jpg

Body after 3=4 coats Krylon acrylic clear gloss.
DSCN2183-vi.jpg

Same body, no polish outside. Its plenty shiny to my eye.
DSCN2195-vi.jpg
DSCN2194-vi.jpg

"engine" and accessories in place in bay.
DSCN2193-vi.jpg

Chassis started.
DSCN2188-vi.jpg

A shot of one suspension corner to show the real spring.
DSCN2196-vi.jpg

More progress on chassis and finished. Had to enlarge most of the holes for shields, otherwise fit has been very good.
DSCN2197-vi.jpg
DSCN2198-vi.jpg

Last picture of started interior and engine bay sitting on chassis.
DSCN2200-vi.jpg

Might have this finished tonight but definitely by tomorrow. Need to install gauge decals, finish interior and see how body fits to chassis. Thanks for looking.

Very small update on this. Taking FOREVER to put together fiddly head and tail light units. Directions show putting clear lens behind bumper, but there is no way that I could figure out how. So, I put main cluster in and then clear on outside of bumper. Still have to work on one of the clear tail light lens.

Headlights. There are three separate "lens" that fit in there. Put a blue dot in one of the headlights to simulate HID. Wasn't sure it would show up, but apparently it did.
DSCN2203-vi.jpg

Had to modify tail lights due to fact they were supposed to be mounted before bumper install; oops. Tried to paint outer portion black to cut down on chrome. Also used an orange Sharpie to simulate turn lens. Can also see third brake light and hardtop mounts installed in a couple of the pictures.
DSCN2207-vi.jpg
DSCN2210-vi.jpg
DSCN2206-vi.jpg

Got a little more done on this. I had read there was some type of interference with the interior and body. Well I trimmed the dash back and left off the huge windshield header. Still have some issue that makes front of body sit high and that also causes front fascia not to sit correctly. May be time for some super glue and some clamps. Painted center of wheels Tamiya Metallic Gray. Applied a few of the Mazda decals. Still have to install side mirrors and then I think it will be finished.

DSCN2282-vi.jpg
DSCN2285-vi.jpg
DSCN2286-vi.jpg