Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project: "Inferno" 49 Merc - *Update p17* 3/13/15

JasonFL

The only issue I see with that, and thats if you are going for realism, is that your exhaust would cause the suspension to bind up. Now, you could try something like this if you dont mind changing up your design a little: [img=http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae297/TotalCostInvolved/Mustang/IMG_4861.jpg] Or something more like what you want. All the stuff I was able to find shows the exhaust running up above the rear end and then around the gas tank. Where is yours going to exit? [img=http://garagescene.net/gallery3/var/resizes/Builders/Sportmachines/702ndChance/2012%2003-12%202nd%20Chance%20Camaro%20High%20Speed%20Welding%20001.JPG]
Thanks a lot for the photos Brandon. I'm pretty sure that's tha way I'm gonna go, up over the rear and around the tank. I might cut the tank and the spare tire out but still not sure, just kinda playin it by year. If you look on page 2 post #21 it shows where the exhaust will exist.

My best opinion...it's a custom. Ditch the spare tire all together and locate a fuel cell from another kit. Throw the fuel cell in the trunk and fill the gaps left in the floor. If you don't have any styrene stock right now, use an old "For Sale" sign, a spare flat hood, or one of those credit card things with no raised letters everyone sends you in the mail to fill in the gap. (I make roll pans out of those cards sometimes.) With those items out of the way, your worries will now be minimumized. Also as described above, the "purple pond" is simply degreaser. It's called that because it's highly popular to use Purple Power or a similar brand in that color. Dollar Tree also has a brand called "L.A.s Totally Awesome. I use it quite a bit...It is in a clear bottle and has a yellowish tint to it. The reason so many people refer to it here as the"purple pond" is because they pour it into a container slightly larger than the model when they want to strip all the paint from it...just let it sit a couple days and then take a brush to it under running cold water when it comes out to get the old unwanted paint removed. In essence, it soaks in a pond of it.
Ken, I have thought about that a lot but I'm still not sure. If I put the fuel cell in the trunk then I have to open that up and that's something I really wasn't planning on doing. I'll have to start saving all them old credit cards. I've used them for other things just never thought about making roll pans out of them. Thanks for the help on the purple pond stuff. I'm pretty sure I have 1 or 2 other different kind of degreasers in the house. I know one is simple green,not sure what the other is called. Is this what everyone uses to strip chrome as well? I'll have to start testing them out.

That stuff call Totally Awesome is THE best chrome stripper Ive ever used. It strips chrome clean in under 30 minutes. And its pretty good on paint too. As for your fuel tank, you dont really have to open the trunk, it could just be one of those trust me its there sort of things. Thats what Im doing for my Camaro since there will be a rear diffusor covering that area up. Just keep it simple, thats almost always the best solution.

Ken, I have thought about that a lot but I'm still not sure. If I put the fuel cell in the trunk then I have to open that up and that's something I really wasn't planning on doing. I'll have to start saving all them old credit cards. I've used them for other things just never thought about making roll pans out of them. Thanks for the help on the purple pond stuff. I'm pretty sure I have 1 or 2 other different kind of degreasers in the house. I know one is simple green,not sure what the other is called. Is this what everyone uses to strip chrome as well? I'll have to start testing them out.
Yeah, a lotta people remove chrome with it. Others use oven cleaner. I like glass cleaner like Windex because I always have some and it usually works quickly.

• 2 months later...
That stuff call Totally Awesome is THE best chrome stripper Ive ever used. It strips chrome clean in under 30 minutes. And its pretty good on paint too. As for your fuel tank, you dont really have to open the trunk, it could just be one of those trust me its there sort of things. Thats what Im doing for my Camaro since there will be a rear diffusor covering that area up. Just keep it simple, thats almost always the best solution.
Yeah, a lotta people remove chrome with it. Others use oven cleaner. I like glass cleaner like Windex because I always have some and it usually works quickly.
Thanks guys for the advice. I'll have to try some of these when I'm ready to strip some chrome. I haven't been to the bench lately but I've worked a little on the 4 link. I might not run the exhaust through the back, not enough room so I might run them out the side and use the cone things on the rear for tail lights. We' ll see, thanks for all the help

Ive gotta copy that faux bag idea...maybe not exactly..I had a different idea,but same concept..lol..if that makes any sense,but this car you're building is looking far superior to mine...you've got quite a skill set at this bro
Thanks man. This is the first time attempting any of this so I'm just taking my time.
nice!
Thanks.

• 1 month later...

First off thanks everyone for their help and input so far. Its been a lot of help so keep it coming, its much appreciated.

Haven't gotten to much done lately. I finally figured out what I'm doing with the rear so that's being finished up as we speak. In the meantime I did a few simple mods to clean it up a bit.

I started by moving the mirror down onto the door. Thought it looked better then were it was so I made a tiny hole with a thumb tac (only thing i had small enough to make the hole).

DSCN6615.jpg

I use black marker as an etching guide

DSCN6546.jpgDSCN6539.jpg

Then I made it flow with the body.DSCN6537.jpgDSCN6535.jpg

Edited by JasonFL

Just to clean the interior up a bit I shaved the dashboard smooth of the clock, radio, glovebox/lock, and those lines, not to sure what they are.

Then I followed that nice body line all the way through.

DSCN6573.jpgDSCN6576.jpg

DSCN6578.jpg

Edited by JasonFL

I also shaved the tires down a bit to help with clearance and get it down a bit lower.

Weapons of choice: power drill, bolt, 2 wing nuts, a spacer, and some sanding materials.

DSCN6527.jpg

I used wing nuts with a smooth side so the ridges didn't dig into the tire.

DSCN6516.jpgDSCN6520.jpg

They also fit perfectly into the tire.

DSCN6528.jpg

Left side: unshaven

Right side : shaved

Not much difference but you can see its a little smaller then the original.

DSCN6524.jpg

That's it for right now. I'll try and get some progress photos up of the rear frame section soon. Thanks for looking.

Edited by JasonFL

Every thing is looking great Jason ! I really like the smooth dash , what a difference ! Nice job with the tires too , I've been doing it that way for a long time . Keep up the good work !
Thanks Bob, I appreciate it. Glad you like it

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the lack of updates but its a pain in the a$$ to get my photos up.

After some broken parts and a lot of trial n error, I finally finished the rear set up. This was the first time ever scratch building this small so it took a lot longer then expected but I'm pretty satisfied with the results.

I decided to go with a 4 link. The first thing I did was make a cross member so I can attach the tabs to it.

I found this piece of old parts tree that fits perfectly.

011_zpsdc6f462c.jpg

Then I made a bunch of tabs out of some old bread plastic clips.

First making rough outlines/cuts then I shaped them and last I punched some holes through.

020_zpsb865e755.jpg

Wasn't going to make the holes but I figured the extra step was worth it. I didn't have a drill bit small enough so I had to tap the holes out, then slowly push it through the rest of the way so i didn't split the tabs apart.

017_zpsc070ed44.jpg

I also made tabs for the shocks out of the old cross member they used to attach to.

147_zps1cee4e87.jpg

151_zps7cd6b31c.jpg

152_zps8a8f26f0.jpg

When I finished making the tabs I figured out where everything had to go. Keeping the clean look of my bridge I decided to attach them to the cross member and rear end. After that I did the body work and more shaping. Still have some touch ups to do.

113_zps9d887b99.jpg

107_zps18225d9e.jpg

033_zps26f70caa.jpg

030_zpsf39a54cd.jpg

I made a backing plate so I can attach some more tabs. I made it line up with the lines that were already on the rear.

037_zpse1ddeb75.jpg

038_zps0f246140.jpg

100_zps3442d8dc.jpg

DSCN7136_zpse2f3566a.jpg

Thought it looked a little empty and weak so I added filler plates and rounded the back edge off to

162_zpsdb56ad31.jpg

DSCN7126_zps9af1fdb5.jpg

**If anyone can please tell me why these keep showing up as links instead of photos? I copied the photobucket IMG link but it keeps showing like this.**

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af128/JBrackneyFL/49%20Mercury/DSCN7127_zps42ad72df.jpg

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af128/JBrackneyFL/49%20Mercury/2a9cdf98-ec08-4897-9960-aa3e5879cc6d_zps6d81bb49.jpg

Edited by JasonFL

I cut the shocks down and cleaned them up a bit to fit into the scheme of things.

156_zps2bf7f237.jpg

I finally found the only thing in my house that comes even close to the size I needed for the link bars and it happened to be the straw off the 3M Dust Remover can.

86f155d73522e72ec72ecc8fc4f29675_zpsc677

027_zps659ed0c0.jpg

In order to get the bend I wanted and not have it move out of place I used a piece of paper clip to stick inside.

145_zps09336670.jpg

Did a little body work and its good to go.

DSCN6945_zpsde98edc7.jpg

DSCN7119_zpsb4f804d5.jpg

I have to run out but here's a little teaser. I'll post photos of the complete set up later on tonight.

125_zpsde1970cb.jpg

131_zpsefa73a1c.jpg

And this is everything installed on the frame. I was going for that smooth flowing look with nice lines.

Still some touch up work to do but you can see the look I was trying to achieve.

DSCN7093_zpse5baef9c.jpg

DSCN7081_zps49cde59b.jpg

e18c1135-8342-4260-8667-ccd4b728e58f_zps

DSCN7098_zpsa8bfd841.jpg

DSCN7090_zps25f5b9b2.jpg

This is everything mocked up on the frame with all 4 wheels, motor, and drive shaft.

f0e29df4-7420-42e1-bb46-75e326369a8c_zps

DSCN7089_zps86d8f0c2.jpg

Thanks for checking out the build. I have more photos to load with some other things going on with the build that I'll be posting soon. I think you guys are gonna dig it.

Edited by JasonFL