Model Cars Magazine Forum

A corvette builders question

OK,

I've been asked recently what it would take to build every year corvette from 1953 to 1982 ?

He's asked to keep them all in same scale sizes so mixing scale will kill the project

Fill me in, is this even feasible without dropping huge coin on long out of production kits ?

Keep in mind, the Owner isn't after 100% accuracy just a nice display for his man cave / office shelf ( he has nice collection the garage of 1/1's already , just not every year)

If I get to do this they have to be able to represent OE stock looking cars right down to the stock hubcaps

Not hard at all but it won't be all shake the box projects. The mid 60's Sting Rays in 1/25 will have to be old OOP kits or resin, and the mid to late 70's will require some kitbashing. The 61 will have to be done from a 62 kit or resin, and I think all of the needed emblems can be found in MCG photoetch sets.

To echo what Craig said, you may have to fudge the scale difference somewhat on a couple of them. For example, the only '53 'Vette I know that's available, is the Monogram one and it's 1/24. The '55 that AMT did was 1/25 not a HUGE difference in scale, but some folks get silly between 1/24 and 1/25.

Sounds like a VERY ambitious project! I know I wouldn't have the time (or patience) to do all of them! That's a LOT of years to cover!

I've been collecting as many years of Corvette kits as I can find. I have managed to accumulate quite a few. A lot of years would still have to be kit bashed. So far I have the 53,55,57,58,59,60,62,63,65,66,67,68,70,71,72,78,82,88,90,91,92,93,95,96,97,98,99,00,01,05,06 and 10 kits and still trying to collect the years I don't have. I also have some prototypes and show cars. Bill is right, it will take a lot of time and patience to build 30 yrs worth of Vettes. It will be years before I have even half of these built along with rest of the kits in my stash. :D

AMT offered the 53 in both Glue and newer tooled SnapFast/Retro-Promo.

I do not know about the Snap, but the Glue was said to have the trim running downhill from front to rear.

or the rocker panels were lower at the front making it look that way

The AMT 55 may be based off that 53 kit.

Good Luck on this.

The Monogram/Revell 1/24 53 does have parts to convert to a 54.

Edited by Edsel-Dan

For the most part, you'll be paying $45.00+ for the MPC '73-'77 kits because they're virtually all that's available for those years. Yes, AMT took a couple stabs at a few C3s, but their body designs were visually "off" to even casual observers. 1978-1982 MPC 'Vettes are fairly cheap & with careful shopping can be had for around $10.00. The MPC "Dragon 'Vette" is supposed to be an '82, and while MPC did manage to add the Crossfire Injection badges to the front fenders, they neglected to make the necessary changes to the engine. The kit still contains the base L-48 carbureted small block, which was not available in '82. You'll need to do some kitbashing if that's going to be an issue. If you're going to build the '82 Collector's Edition, you'll need to steal the wheels from the Monogram kit and pray that someone makes 1/25 decals for it.

I feel bad that the '63 will have to be represented by either the ancient AMT kit with no suspension detail or the Revell snap kit, which I know nothing about since I can't be bothered to look at snap kits.

Sounds like a fun project!

Edited by Monty

Right now it's just a dream 'IF ' it could even be done. Costs will become an issue and may very well kill the idea before it even gets off the ground.

I didn't think the early to mid 70s cars was readily avail, and already forewarned him as such . It's the 63 to 67 cars I had no idea of

Modelhaus resin will be your friend for the Sting Ray years unless you want to kitbash the Revell 67 into the other years. Revell did the 68 and 69 back in the early 90's, and AMT did the 70 about the same time. That would take you through the 72's without any problems.

Edited by Craig Irwin

The Revell 63 snap kits (both roadster and coupe) are great curbside kits and should bash with the Revell 67 kits, which also are in both roadster and coupe bodys. The only external differance between the 63 and 64 are the grille, rocker moldings, wheel covers and the lack of the hood grids, which arn't molded in on the 63 snap kitanyway. Madelhous makes all of these parts.

Are your modeling skills up to changing the side fender vents on the 65 and 66's on one of the other bodys? Modelhouse does the hoods, grilles and such. Add the photoetch parts and.......

Not hard at all but it won't be all shake the box projects. The mid 60's Sting Rays in 1/25 will have to be old OOP kits or resin, and the mid to late 70's will require some kitbashing. The 61 will have to be done from a 62 kit or resin, and I think all of the needed emblems can be found in MCG photoetch sets.

Craig, can you elaborate on this? What's missing or in need of replacement?

It seems that the 73 to 79 cars will be some work or old OOP kits need to be found. The MPC Spoiler 'Vette will work for the 80 to 82 cars (with a cross fire injection unit needed for the 82) and it seems to be easy to find. I remember a good 78 pace car kit years ago which will also do a 79, but it may have been 1/24.

The 70 to 72 cars would be easy from the AMT 70 kit, as the only external differances were the color of the park lamp lens, clear on 70, amber on 71 and 72) exposed screw heads retaining the grilles on the 72, and a thief alarm switch on the rear of the 72 (looks like a trunk lock cylinder)

The 73 cars sat higher (federial standards on bumper heights), and had a new rubber front bumper without the rubber gards that came in for 75, a longer hood that eliminated the wiper door at the base of the windshield that was used from 68 to 72. also was a new open side scoop in the side fenders that replaced the 70 to 72 "eggcrates". These open scoops ran through 79.

The 74 cars would need the same work as the 73 but also got a one year only rubber rear bumper with a seam in the middle and no black rubber gards like added to the 75's. Also the rear quarter panels drop lower behind the wheels to match the bumper, you can still see the body line where the old quarters bottoms were. these new 74 rear quarter panels ran through to 82. With the new rear bumper the thief alarm switch moved to the left front fender near the Stingray nameplate. 74's have no crossed flag emblem on the gas cap.

The 75 and 76 cars got a new front bumper with black rubber gards, and a rased center that starts up between the front headlights a few inches. the rear bumper lost the seam and gained the rear black gards too.

77 lost the Stingray nameplates, gained crossed flags in their place, and the A post trim is now black. The Corvette block letters on the rear bumper are replaced with a one piece emblem, and the crossed flag emblems are a new style. Inside there were big changes to the dash and console. Also a new leather wraped steering wheel if T&T wheel equiped.

Sometime around 76 or 77 the hood lost the cowl grill near the windshield.

Thanks all.

I relayed all this info to the potential client and he's decide to kill the project.

I told him of the costs involved 'just in purchasing' several long out of production kits was enough to make him cringe.

I liked the idea and told him it would take a considerable amount of time,,,, i just wasn't sure of the kit availability ( I'm not a corvette fan per say)

I am going to look for 1959 Vette kit to do for myself though ( year I was born )

Thanks all.

I relayed all this info to the potential client and he's decide to kill the project.

I told him of the costs involved 'just in purchasing' several long out of production kits was enough to make him cringe.

I liked the idea and told him it would take a considerable amount of time,,,, i just wasn't sure of the kit availability ( I'm not a corvette fan per say)

I am going to look for 1959 Vette kit to do for myself though ( year I was born )

I wonder if you could still salvage this by offering to replicate the 1:1 cars he has in his garage.

The Last re-issued 78 Pace Car was Monogram's (Revell box) 1/24 kit.

I have one. MPC also did that kit.

In fact, MPC had 3 different box art kits for the 78 Vette. Annual, Pace Car, & Silver Anniversary.

I have 2 each of the Silver & Pace Car. and had one of the Annuals molded in Yellow.

I am not sure if I still have that yellow one.