Model Cars Magazine Forum

No plastic 2014 Stingray kits? Could it be?

if they did kit the 2014 Corvette, GM would find a way to recall it......... :D LOL

Don't give them any more ideas....

I think Revell should recall their snap kits for the plastic used in them, but that aside, they're actually very nice kits.

Charlie Larkin

I've been a Corvette Builder since 1958 . When I got back into the Model Car Hobby in 1984 , I decided to rebuild the string . I sold out in 1979 . It was tough to do this . By 2000 I had rebuilt the string . Hang onto my Hat ! Revelle took over the 1/25 Scale . BTW , the same folks that believe only Hot Rods sell . I do not fit this mold of Customer . I build Factory Stock . For instance ; Henry J - Willys '41) Coupe - etc. there are many more including especially re-pops . The same People that declare on the Instruction Sheet : "Discard extra leftover parts ." I knew immediately my string would be broken soon . As a result , I do not continue as there are missing MY's . I stop at 2006 - 2007 is a Promo . Not the same detail as my kit build ups . so ; 208 -m 2009 - 2010- 2011 2013 - 2014 don't count as I am unable to find these . I do build strings . America's Sport Car I am proud to collect . Vipers are in my mix too and I am disgusted I am not able to have one of a new generation . . I do not qualify as a GM goober smoocher . In fact , I am less so every year . I worked for them directly or indirectly for GM most of my 35 + years I worked in the Automotive Field . A portion of this time , spent with all other makes combined with the General's works . The other 10 was spent Driving 18 Wheelers , yes some of the Generals Finest too . I am again disappointed with no 2014 , Revelle , and GM . To put it mildly . So you may think Revelle would not be able to sell some of the Automotive Oddballs I have mentioned ? May I just say : Mobious ? Hudsons ? The "Red Headed Step Child" from Mother MoPar . The Chrysler Letter Cars . Then in the same breath , I wonder why the Ralphie Centuries did not make the Grade to be Kitted ? I believe I know .. Thanx ..

Edited by dimaxion

I've been a Corvette Builder since 1958 . When I got back into the Model Car Hobby in 1984 , I decided to rebuild the string . I sold out in 1979 . It was tough to do this . By 2000 I had rebuilt the string . Hang onto my Hat ! Revelle took over the 1/25 Scale . BTW , the same folks that believe only Hot Rods sell . I do not fit this mold of Customer . I build Factory Stock . For instance ; Henry J - Willys '41) Coupe - etc. there are many more including especially re-pops . The same People that declare on the Instruction Sheet : "Discard extra leftover parts ." I knew immediately my string would be broken soon . As a result , I do not continue as there are missing MY's . I stop at 2006 - 2007 is a Promo . Not the same detail as my kit build ups . so ; 208 -m 2009 - 2010- 2011 2013 - 2014 don't count as I am unable to find these . I do build strings . America's Sport Car I am proud to collect . Vipers are in my mix too and I am disgusted I am not able to have one of a new generation . . I do not qualify as a GM goober smoocher . In fact , I am less so every year . I worked for them directly or indirectly for GM most of my 35 + years I worked in the Automotive Field . A portion of this time , spent with all other makes combined with the General's works . The other 10 was spent Driving 18 Wheelers , yes some of the Generals Finest too . I am again disappointed with no 2014 , Revelle , and GM . To put it mildly . So you may think Revelle would not be able to sell some of the Automotive Oddballs I have mentioned ? May I just say : Mobious ? Hudsons ? The "Red Headed Step Child" from Mother MoPar . The Chrysler Letter Cars . Then in the same breath , I wonder why the Ralphie Centuries did not make the Grade to be Kitted ? I believe I know .. Thanx ..

What!? I don't understand just about anything you said here, John. The only thing I could make out is you may have directly or indirectly worked for GM, and you started building Corvettes back in 1958 (kits, full size, what?). What does "rebuilding the string" mean? There are other parts of this posting that left me confused. What are "Ralphie Centuries" for example? And what is a "GM goober smoocher"? Was this posting written is some kind of code? It wasn't written in a form of English I understand.

Scott

Oh I dunno, guys, just dig through it some:

“I’ve been a Corvette builder since 1958 – in fact, I went through the entire string of Corvette model years till I had to sideline from the hobby for a while in 1979 and sold ‘em all out. When I got back into the hobby in 1984, I decided to rebuild that string, and I finally got it back up to speed in 2000 – and uh-oh, hang onto my hat, Revell’s pretty much taken over 1/25 scale by then!

Yeah, the same manufacturer that seems to believe only hot rods sell – can’t say I fit that mold. I build factory stock. So the Henry J, Willys ’41 coupe for example, and many more especially including reissues - no stock versions, nothing for me, just old rods from a manufacturer declares on the instruction sheet, “Discard extra parts.”

And if these are the people running the 1/25 game, I knew my model year string wouldn’t go much further. Sure enough, had to stop ‘round 2006 – only a promo was available for 2007, lacking the same detail as my other built-ups. So 2008, 2009, ’10, ’11, ’12, ’13, ’14 – don’t count ‘cause I can’t find ‘em. And being proud to collect America’s sports car, I’d be happy to finish that string.

Not to say I’m a GM goober-smoocher – less so every year in fact. Got Vipers in the mix, pretty disgusted I can’t have a new-generation kit. I did work directly or indirectly for GM, most of the 35+ years I spent in the automotive field, but I also spent a fair portion of that time with other makes. Spent another ten driving 18-wheelers - yes, some of the General’s finest, too.

Upshot? I’m again disappointed with Revell’s utter lack of ’14 GMs, to put it mildly. But for those of you who think Revell wouldn’t be able to sell some of the automotive oddballs I’ve mentioned, may I just say one word:

Moebius.

Hudsons, anybody? That “red-headed step child” from Mother Mopar, the Chrysler letter cars? And then – in the very same breath – I wonder why certain Buicks haven’t made the grade to be kitted…

No GM. Again. Hmm. I believe I might know after all. Thanx…”

Now I gotta cop to a W-A G on "Ralphie Centuries" - Ralphie from Stephen King's Storm Of The Century - ? "Give me what I want and I'll go away"?

That's the only "Ralphie Centuries" google reference, but if you treat "Century" as a Buick, you can bend it all back to a "No GM" context.

85%, anyway?

I think "Ralphie" could be a Cupertino for a misspelling of "early". So maybe "early centuries". Not sure if that means early 20th century, early 21st century, or early Buick Centuries...

Anywho, back to the OP, I don't have to venture too far out on a limb to say there will no doubt be plastic kits of the new Vette. It's a no brainier. There's plastic promos coming in the next month (interested to see by who) if there's not a kit out or at least an announcement of a kit by the end of the year I'll eat my hat.

Oh I dunno, guys, just dig through it some:

“I’ve been a Corvette builder since 1958 – in fact, I went through the entire string of Corvette model years till I had to sideline from the hobby for a while in 1979 and sold ‘em all out. When I got back into the hobby in 1984, I decided to rebuild that string, and I finally got it back up to speed in 2000 – and uh-oh, hang onto my hat, Revell’s pretty much taken over 1/25 scale by then!

Yeah, the same manufacturer that seems to believe only hot rods sell – can’t say I fit that mold. I build factory stock. So the Henry J, Willys ’41 coupe for example, and many more especially including reissues - no stock versions, nothing for me, just old rods from a manufacturer declares on the instruction sheet, “Discard extra parts.”

And if these are the people running the 1/25 game, I knew my model year string wouldn’t go much further. Sure enough, had to stop ‘round 2006 – only a promo was available for 2007, lacking the same detail as my other built-ups. So 2008, 2009, ’10, ’11, ’12, ’13, ’14 – don’t count ‘cause I can’t find ‘em. And being proud to collect America’s sports car, I’d be happy to finish that string.

Not to say I’m a GM goober-smoocher – less so every year in fact. Got Vipers in the mix, pretty disgusted I can’t have a new-generation kit. I did work directly or indirectly for GM, most of the 35+ years I spent in the automotive field, but I also spent a fair portion of that time with other makes. Spent another ten driving 18-wheelers - yes, some of the General’s finest, too.

Upshot? I’m again disappointed with Revell’s utter lack of ’14 GMs, to put it mildly. But for those of you who think Revell wouldn’t be able to sell some of the automotive oddballs I’ve mentioned, may I just say one word:

Moebius.

Hudsons, anybody? That “red-headed step child” from Mother Mopar, the Chrysler letter cars? And then – in the very same breath – I wonder why certain Buicks haven’t made the grade to be kitted…

No GM. Again. Hmm. I believe I might know after all. Thanx…”

Now I gotta cop to a W-A G on "Ralphie Centuries" - Ralphie from Stephen King's Storm Of The Century - ? "Give me what I want and I'll go away"?

That's the only "Ralphie Centuries" google reference, but if you treat "Century" as a Buick, you can bend it all back to a "No GM" context.

85%, anyway?

A noble effort. You could work at the UN! :lol:

Still wondering about the "Ralphie Centuries," though...

Maybe a character named Ralphie in a TV show or movie drove Buick Centurys.

Speaking of a Buick Century, there are a few years that would be neat to see in scale..specifically '54-57 and '73-75...I am surprised the 1950 Buick has never been kitted..the 'grille eating the bumper' front end is incredible..

Edited by Rob Hall

Chuck your amazing. Your translation made sense and looked right. Now I get the posting. Everything but the "Ralphie Centuries". And in general, now that I understand the posting, I can agree with it for the most part.

And here I always thought they spoke English in Indiana. Thankfully there are people from California who can understand Indianin.

Chuck your amazing. Your translation made sense and looked right. Now I get the posting. Everything but the "Ralphie Centuries". And in general, now that I understand the posting, I can agree with it for the most part.

And here I always thought they spoke English in Indiana. Thankfully there are people from California who can understand Indianin.

When I've taught, I've had kids that are born and bred here....and I still can't understand anything.

Maybe I should transcribe the conversations and send them to Chuck assuming I end up back in a classroom next year.

Charlie Larkin

First i have to say i love corvettes, darn near all of them. I was really excited by the pictures of the 2014. However, i followed one for several miles both from behind and on the passenger side and i must say my current impression is that it looks like a kit car. Not that i can buy one, probably a '15 Mustang, but i would like to test drive it.