Model Cars Magazine Forum

4 furry paws melted my heart

mnwildpunk

IMG350.jpg so for christmas the soon to be wife got the boy two kittens. Oh yippie skippy I'm not a cat person me and cats have had a pact for as long as I can remember. I hate them they hate but we leave each other alone. Of the two kittens one of them didn't get the memo of our pact. I find her in my shoes in my chairs and under my feet. Blah. It started if she was in my spot I pick her up and set her on the floor. Which she would promptly jump up on my lap. I tolerated her. Then well darn it as jacqui says she is the new love of my life.

How sweet. I had a similar pact with the ex-wifes cats. I hated them, they pooped and peed on my floor. About 4 years ago a friend came to visit and I discovered some cats can be quite nice. I rescued my kitty from the street, and although it took awhile, I'm am now her Mom-cat ( or dad-cat ) and love her so much.

DSCN1197-vi.jpg

I just got to the point that I didn't want to face losing another animal. So we don't have any.

I like cats but never enough to want one, that is until the day at the city dump the guy on the dozer found a bag with 5 kittens in it that someone had dumped. Only one was left alive and it was almost gone.

He was gouing to call the animal control but I decided to take it to our Vet.(we had a dog at the time)

Well 75 bucks later I had it home bottle feeding it and pushing meds into it. He came back strong.

Every morning he would sit on my feet in the bathroom and at breakfast until I had to put my boots on for work.

Then he would sit in the window and watch me leave and be sitting in the window that night when I pulled into the drive.

His name was Sylvester and he stole my heart.

He wanted nothing to do with the rest of the family and followed me everywhere I went, inside and out.

He was about a year and half old when one morning he didn't greet me when I got up. Came out of his bed just before I left for work.

He seemed tired and was losing weight even though he was eating good. Then he stopped that, didn't hardly eat just picked so I decided he needed to see the Vet.

Turned out he had Feline Lukemia and the prognosis for recovery was not good.

The Vet sais we were looking at several thousand dollars to treat and he did not think it would work, he was just too bad of shape.

Now I have had to put animals down before, some my own but having Sylvester put down just tore me apart. I sat and held him until he was gone, then took hi home and put him in Grandma's little animal plot behind her house on the hill.

Have never gotten attached to an animal since.

Our cat, Twinkie, used to sit on my lap as I built. I have a picture of her supervising there as I worked on a '40 Ford pickup. The years have gone by; our furry kids (we had two dogs, too) have crossed the Rainbow Bridge and circumstances are not right for a pet right now... it sux...

I just got to the point that I didn't want to face losing another animal. So we don't have any.

I like cats but never enough to want one, that is until the day at the city dump the guy on the dozer found a bag with 5 kittens in it that someone had dumped. Only one was left alive and it was almost gone.

He was gouing to call the animal control but I decided to take it to our Vet.(we had a dog at the time)

Well 75 bucks later I had it home bottle feeding it and pushing meds into it. He came back strong.

Every morning he would sit on my feet in the bathroom and at breakfast until I had to put my boots on for work.

Then he would sit in the window and watch me leave and be sitting in the window that night when I pulled into the drive.

His name was Sylvester and he stole my heart.

He wanted nothing to do with the rest of the family and followed me everywhere I went, inside and out.

He was about a year and half old when one morning he didn't greet me when I got up. Came out of his bed just before I left for work.

He seemed tired and was losing weight even though he was eating good. Then he stopped that, didn't hardly eat just picked so I decided he needed to see the Vet.

Turned out he had Feline Lukemia and the prognosis for recovery was not good.

The Vet sais we were looking at several thousand dollars to treat and he did not think it would work, he was just too bad of shape.

Now I have had to put animals down before, some my own but having Sylvester put down just tore me apart. I sat and held him until he was gone, then took hi home and put him in Grandma's little animal plot behind her house on the hill.

Have never gotten attached to an animal since.

I know exactly how you feel. I had to have a cat put down after having her for almost 15 years. She was a stray someone found for us. It still hurts to this day when I think of her but there's also a good feeling in my heart for her because we gave her so many good years of love and care. Another 4 month old sweetheart walked into our lives 9 years ago, cold hungry and exhausted. She's our "Baby". That's her name. We know we'll experience loss and sorrow when she passes but we're going to spoil her until then. There are so many unloved stray animals that need us. Maybe looking at it like that might help.

I consider my cats my kids, since i dont have children, wherever i lay to sleap or watch tv my male cat (Garfield) has to lay on my chest, and if iam at the computer desk he has to be laying on it. My female cat after 10 of having her she past away, it about killed me. So yeh i love my cats.

I have 2. Adopted them about 5 years ago. They were 7 at the time. Cats are cool but somtimes want things on their terms. One of our cats ( Cali ) follows me around the house like a puppy. She will sometimes be sitting and waiting for me by the bathroom door. She even seems happy when I come home. Cats as a rule don't get excited like a dog will.

My current cat,Zoey,is from my daughter's ex boyfriend's house when she lived there.The ex boyfriend's idiot mother told him to find Zoey a new home or she was going to put him down.My daughter went there and got Zoey and,in tears,brought him to me saying that she'd find him a new home soon.Nearly 6 years later now Zoey still hasn't left.He's become my buddy and my shadow-constantly following me around the house,even staying in the basement with me when I'm painting models.He's happiest when he can "lap nap" on me when I'm watching TV in my recliner.

Awww ... she's a cutie! You've been officially adopted!

IMG350.jpg so for christmas the soon to be wife got the boy two kittens. Oh yippie skippy I'm not a cat person me and cats have had a pact for as long as I can remember. I hate them they hate but we leave each other alone. Of the two kittens one of them didn't get the memo of our pact. I find her in my shoes in my chairs and under my feet. Blah. It started if she was in my spot I pick her up and set her on the floor. Which she would promptly jump up on my lap. I tolerated her. Then well darn it as jacqui says she is the new love of my life.

I consider my cats my kids, since i dont have children, wherever i lay to sleap or watch tv my male cat (Garfield) has to lay on my chest, and if iam at the computer desk he has to be laying on it. My female cat after 10 of having her she past away, it about killed me. So yeh i love my cats.

. I know how you feel man I had to put my horse down after having her all my life it was allmost as hard as loosing my mo....I thought of my horse as a friend/ family member it about sent me off the end ...

My maternal grandmother gave my sister a cat (young cat , but not a kitten) for Christmas in 1985 ; a pretty yellow-orange tabby .

By Spring 1986 , "Delilah" was looking a bit bigger in the belly (!!) , and on 12th April 1986 (four days before my 16th birthday) she gave birth to four little bundles starting at around 0700 HRS .

I was never much of an animal person until around that time . My family did have two Dauchunds when I was young ("Burgie" and "Pepper") . My parents got them in '68 ; they didn't think they were going to be able to have children and needed some companionship :D .

After Burgie passed away in 1980 , I was greatly saddened . I briefly considered adopting another dog , but never really followed through .

My outlook on animals changed forever when my sister got Delilah :wub: .

With the exception of a few brief intervals , I have never been without at *least* one feline in my life !

My two present "kids" are both shelter rescues :

Molly (full name : Molly Anne McCalico) is my first rescue . She'll be eleven years on 18th May ; I adopted her when she was six months . She's the most colourful Calico I've seen to date ; borderline Tortiseshell , as she's got very little white .

Her best patches are : an Africa-shaped black patch on her left side (a nod to her descendants , the African Wildcat ) , and the face of a bearded man right behind the Africa patch .

Her most easily recognise sound is her "Jake Brake" growl when ...

Oliver , my American Shorthair , tries to play with her :lol: . Oliver is shelter rescue number two . He'll be ten years this 4th of June ; I adopted him (actually , my mother picked him out :D ) when he was 8 months .

American Shorthairs (not to be confused with their Brighton relatives , the British Shorthair) are a stocky , solidly-built cat . Most of their features are shared with Brits ; the puffy muzzle ; the big round eyes ; the thick , tapered tail ; the canine temperment (they absolutely must be in the presence of someone , but conversely , aren't dependent upon anyone) ; and their overall stature . But , unlike their U.K. relatives , they're athletic !

American Shorthairs are typically referred to as "Ship's Cats" .

MNWildPunk : It please me greatly that you have recognised the wonderment of feline companionship ! These guys are like little angels !

One of the best things about kitties is that they're "self-contained" : they don't have to be exercised ; they don't have to be bathed ; and they don't have to solely rely on anyone for food sources (in es , if they are turned back into the wild , they'll adapt quicky , as they're still "feral" , regardless of their domestic stature) .

May your kitties bring you many years of absolute bliss and unwavering companionship :)