Model Cars Magazine Forum

39 Chevy gasser-outside my comfort zone-finished

slammedi'am

• 2 weeks later...

Small update...Git in primer then got some color....Deleted the bumpers on it and opened the rear fender well up a bit.......Starting to get there....I still need to wet sand and respray the body.....It is actually green pics made it turn out bluish

001-7.jpg

002-6.jpg

003-7.jpg

004-9.jpg

005-7.jpg

yea i like the scoop too..........i would lose the headlights tho, they lightened gassers up any way they could, drillin holes everyhwere, removing parts that werent needed...

very cool project!

cheers

bryan

Working headlights and tail lights were required in the NHRA for gas class cars back in the day when this car would have run. Here's a discussion over in Tips and Tricks on gassers.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75183

Any supercharged car would run a scoop.

Dale

Well the sun went away on me but managed to get a couple more coats of paint,decals on and got 1 coat of clear on it...Hopefully I can shoot another coat tomorrow and try to get the pics to show the actual color instead of turning bluish like its doing...I borrowed the decals from the 57 Ford....

003-8.jpg

002-7.jpg

001-8.jpg

Looking really fine. These things make great looking gassers. I like your wheel choice too, but one thing about those skinny-spoke front wheels is that they were spindle-mounts, which would make it hard to mount front brakes, a required item on gassers. Seems like I've seen some early Halibrand or Airheart front discs adapted to run behind these wheels.

Yup. wheels_12spoke.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Looking really fine. These things make great looking gassers. I like your wheel choice too, but one thing about those skinny-spoke front wheels is that they were spindle-mounts, which would make it hard to mount front brakes, a required item on gassers. Seems like I've seen some early Halibrand or Airheart front discs adapted to run behind these wheels.

Yup. wheels_12spoke.jpg

Sweet thanks for the heads up on it...Ill figure out a way for some front brakes on it.

Are you using the duplicolor clear?

All my paint is from them

Sweet thanks for the heads up on it...Ill figure out a way for some front brakes on it.

There's a version of this wheel that mounts with bolts / studs, allowing the use of conventional brakes. Just another option, depending on what period you're building and how 'legal' you want to be under whichever rules would apply in 1:1.

wrongwheel-3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...