Model Cars Magazine Forum

51 Fleetliner gettin mo ratty

CB

got to spend a couple hours at the wb coz its next to the AC!! :(:angry: and got all the trim offed the Fleetliner and some primer on it. Mo pix comin mebbe tomorrow <_<

monotrimpics013-vi.jpg

monotrimpics014-vi.jpg

Edited by Crap'n Blaque

Man, you're right about spending mo time workin on our models than on this here contraption, Florian! I been havin a kniption fit tryin' to get my pix off my fotki :D today! Worked just fine yesterday :D Here're pix of my removing the trim off my Fleetliner and squirtin it with some black lacquer sanding primer, tryin to do the 1:1 thing. Sorry, but hopefooly you can clink these links to see em

holes laid out & drilled as per reference photo

http://public.fotki.com/V866/no-mo-trim/monotrimpics008.html">

copying hole pattern to transfer to other side

http://public.fotki.com/V866/no-mo-trim/monotrimpics001.html

filing trim down to accept layout markings

http://public.fotki.com/V866/no-mo-trim/monotrimpics003.html

transferring holes layout

http://public.fotki.com/V866/no-mo-trim/monotrimpics004.html

attack of the pin vise

http://public.fotki.com/V866/no-mo-trim/monotrimpics007.html

curlycues

http://public.fotki.com/V866/no-mo-trim/monotrimpics009.html

airholes for the one barrel

http://public.fotki.com/V866/no-mo-trim/monotrimpics011.html

heavy chevy metal

http://public.fotki.com/V866/no-mo-trim/monotrimpics022.html

:D Holy Shamoly ######'n, glad you posted those pics cause it looked like you drilled em holes wit an AK! Yeesh your as bad as Bill when it comes to bein a stickler fer details,But I gotta admit ,it looks more an more rattier ever time I see it! Keep it up an pretty soon that rascals gonna be runnin on CHEESE! Lookin RATTY,######'n keep it up!!! :D;);)

man that is nice. If someone says that that chavy doesnt look good i dont know what they want to see. Keep up the good work. So how about those other 51 fleetlines that u and me were talking about :D:rolleyes:

I was thinkin Florian, I'm probly gonna get me another and do the gasser thing like you done. You got yours on the trailer yet? Mebbe when I get my gasser done (shut up, Gramps :lol: ).......mebbe when I get my gasser done, we can get 'em side by side with a tree 'tween 'em somehows B)

yeah lets try that. hope your gonna be in so cal soon than. :lol: I started my railer last night. Started out as revells hemi hydro boat trailer. Put a plate of styren on it after cutting out the center members. Well my gassers gonna be up tonight with pics. This weekend its gettin the paint, flat black base with ruby red metal flake oooooh :P Well i also started my truck but i only filled pin holes from the ejector and cot the hood sides away. If you is still online stay about 10 more mins so you can see mine if i can post all my pics. But yes if you ever in so cal email me apacheflock@aol.com so we might be able to meet :D

:lol: Holy Shamoly ######'n, glad you posted those pics cause it looked like you drilled em holes wit an AK! Yeesh your as bad as Bill when it comes to bein a stickler fer details,But I gotta admit ,it looks more an more rattier ever time I see it! Keep it up an pretty soon that rascals gonna be runnin on CHEESE! Lookin RATTY,######'n keep it up!!! :D:P;)

Tanks, George, and yeah, at one time I'd a gladly drilled a buncha holes with my (oops) AK!, but I'da never done dat to a Chevy :o !! (well, mebbe a pink 58 ;) ) I must be gettin like Gramps, gettin into the details, and I's diggin it. Don't think I'll ever be able to stuff an engine compartment like Gramps do, tho. I am thinkin of tryin some stripin on this fat rat, so.........I gotta go find me a chicken :lol:

Wow. That's lookin good man! Nice, stripped down rat. I'm lookin forward to seeing more of it.

Thanx Eric,

I didn't even know what a ratrod was 5 years ago when I saw this guys 51-53 (1:1)Oldsmobubble at a cruise. It was lowered a bit, rusty chrome, red wheels, scuffy black primer, solid. But the thing that blew me away -and I was so tempted to try it on this- is that after he took all the side trim and other mouldings off, he filled all the holes (and made more holes) with one and a half inch long SPIKES!! So cool! He had a shorty moto helmet sittin on the roof with a row of the same spikes mohawkin it, and he made a skeleton hood ornament outa cotter pins. If'n I ever find a large scale model of them early 50's GMs, I just might try that :lol:

Thanx Eric,

I didn't even know what a ratrod was 5 years ago when I saw this guys 51-53 (1:1)Oldsmobubble at a cruise. It was lowered a bit, rusty chrome, red wheels, scuffy black primer, solid. But the thing that blew me away -and I was so tempted to try it on this- is that after he took all the side trim and other mouldings off, he filled all the holes (and made more holes) with one and a half inch long SPIKES!! So cool! He had a shorty moto helmet sittin on the roof with a row of the same spikes mohawkin it, and he made a skeleton hood ornament outa cotter pins. If'n I ever find a large scale model of them early 50's GMs, I just might try that :lol:

the best thing to do when building a large scale model and u are going to change it anyway, buy one that is scratched. One its cheap and 2 your gona paint it differentaly anyway.

Guest Gramps-xrds
Tanks, George, and yeah, at one time I'd a gladly drilled a buncha holes with my (oops) AK!, but I'da never done dat to a Chevy :o !! (well, mebbe a pink 58 ;) ) I must be gettin like Gramps, gettin into the details, and I's diggin it. Don't think I'll ever be able to stuff an engine compartment like Gramps do, tho. I am thinkin of tryin some stripin on this fat rat, so.........I gotta go find me a chicken :lol:

######'n I never said a word ol buddy. (but I might have been thinking some :lol::D:P )

You're not fooling me. I know why you're looking for that chicken and it doesn't have anything to do with paint. ;);):o

check mine out just posted pics and everything. Hope u like it. U might have to fix the dash abit so it doesnt hit the glass.
just checked yer pix out Florian. :lol: I'm likin it. what's this bout the dash & the glass? I had the glass in mine before, with the tub in place and I don't remember any porblems, but.......... I did seperate the front glass from the back glass coz it was too short when they was connected-- :D wonder if that could be what's happenin with yours?

just checked yer pix out Florian. :D I'm likin it. what's this bout the dash & the glass? I had the glass in mine before, with the tub in place and I don't remember any porblems, but.......... I did seperate the front glass from the back glass coz it was too short when they was connected-- :P wonder if that could be what's happenin with yours?

Crapn i have no clue either. I painted the dash and put it in the tub. Then i put the glass just to check before paint and it pushe the tub away from the body :lol: So what i had to do was move the dash a bit forward by sandint the mounts lower it in the tub more by sanding bottom mounts in the tub and sand the part of the dash were it meets the glass. works fine now. glad on that and the firewall fits in the body smoothly so i am happy. i also cut the back and front apart because i didnt like the look of it but i didnt know it was to short oh well. cant wait to see urs completly done.

thats it im tired of sitting on the sidelines watching you guys (tear tear) im going to find me a kit and do a rat rod

###### what kit should i use

the hearse

good point voice #1 (bob)

Go for it Kevin! the mo' rats, the merrier :lol: I'd planned on rattin this 49Murky panel, but lookit what happen when I sent the 51 to paint shop and sat the Murky carcass on the 51 frame

--uh oh B)

Go for it Kevin! the mo' rats, the merrier :D I'd planned on rattin this 49Murky panel, but lookit what happen when I sent the 51 to paint shop and sat the Murky carcass on the 51 frame

--uh oh :huh:

man that looks sweet. what are you gona do for the interior since there is no tub? Glad someone is doin somethin different with the new merc. Hey i thought ur gona start those other 2 fleetlines ;):D:D just kidn. Well i cant start them right now cause i need to finish my 41 and trailer and the paint. Now paint that merc a pearl purple with steel wheels that are chrome :D

:rolleyes: ######'n tried to tell ya this 2 days ago, but the storms took out all mysh8t. I do believe there was a seam down the middle of your hood, on the 51/52 's the hood stampings were two seperate pieces and they were joind down the center and the sean was covered by a moulding! since you took it off, there should be a seam showing. My Dad had both a 51 & 52 an both of em had this type of hood.I hope you get this caz my internet connection keeps goin in an out!BUT it is STILL lookin pretty ratty, Keep it up!!!! :angry::lol::D:D

:rolleyes: ######'n tried to tell ya this 2 days ago, but the storms took out all mysh8t. I do believe there was a seam down the middle of your hood, on the 51/52 's the hood stampings were two seperate pieces and they were joind down the center and the sean was covered by a moulding! since you took it off, there should be a seam showing. My Dad had both a 51 & 52 an both of em had this type of hood.I hope you get this caz my internet connection keeps goin in an out!BUT it is STILL lookin pretty ratty, Keep it up!!!! <_<:lol::D;)
What kinda storms you get George that take out all yer sh8t? Seems the storms I get just keep dumpin sh8t on me - wonder if its some o' yours :D . I know, trials and tribulations, but I got Help. Hey, thanx for the ifno and fer tryin to reach me. In my research for 51s with no trim, which was pretty hard to find, I did find a guy who's fixin up a 51 and showin' progress pix. I remember him sayin that he took the hood trim off, and welded up the seam. Guess I like the look of the holes, but I probly will fill em. Gonna leave the two that held the front bowtie on tho. Apparently there were 3 bolts there, but the lower one holds the hood latch on so I did what he did and 'welded' it and smoothed it over.

Yer gonna hafta get yerself a generator so's we can keep in touch. Can't let Gramps get too comfy now. :angry: Hey, didja see the pic of Gramps' old ride? His 36 Chevy pu? Sweeeeeet! It's on Florian's gasser thread. I'm hopin he builds a model of it, if'n he aint already got it on his shelf somewhere. Love ta see it. Tanks again buddy.

<_< Yer more'n welcome ######'n, I jus figgerd if you goin this far.....Honestly never thought about weldin up the seam,but yeah, makes sense to me now.The storms took out the cable(Comcast) but not the juice.no phone,TV or internet.Just had sporatic service, you know on an off sh8t.the cable co. just called about 20 min.ago and after 2 days I got all my sh8t back!NOTHING like what happened to Abe though,Thank God!Hopin every things cool with all you other guys!!!! :rolleyes::D:lol::angry:

man that looks sweet. what are you gona do for the interior since there is no tub? Glad someone is doin somethin different with the new merc. Hey i thought ur gona start those other 2 fleetlines :huh::D:D just kidn. Well i cant start them right now cause i need to finish my 41 and trailer and the paint. Now paint that merc a pearl purple with steel wheels that are chrome :lol:

Whatta ya mean, aint no tub? :angry: its just them big huge sidewalls o dat Murky coverin it up! and whatta yer talkin 2 Fleetliners??? I only greeed to do 1 -a gasser 51 to blow yer doors off (well, right now, anyhow ;) )...... dude, you gotta quit givin me ideas :rolleyes: pearl purple w/ chrome steelies fer the Murky Panel-excellent suggestion!! might hafta try some flames on that too! Tanks, Florian!! <_<

:rolleyes: ######'n,Just checked Flor's site out to see Bills truck.Yer right it IS cool to see the ol Dude's ride,But I think it's even cooler that a 14 yr ol kid likes old cars!Florians passion for the ol buggies makes me feel good about the next generation of builders, and gettin hands on experience with his Dad will only help him build better models cause He'll have worked on the REAL things!You GO Florian!!!!! :angry:<_<:lol::D