Model Cars Magazine Forum

Engine options for peterbilt 351

I know the "standard engine" in many of the Peterbilt 281/351, 282/352 trucks from that era was Cummins NHC 250 but there were other options as well, the NTA 370 might be one, Detroit Diesel 6-71, 8V-71 and 12V-71, possibly some Cat 1160 V8, 1673 I6, 1693 I6 and 1676 V8 found their way into some Pete's.
I'm speculating a bit here but this question are for Tim Ahlborn, he would know for sure.

Edited by Force

I know the "standard engine" in many of the Peterbilt 281/351, 282/352 trucks from that era was Cummins NHC 250 but there were other options as well, the NTA 370 might be one, Detroit Diesel 6-71, 8V-71 and 12V-71, possibly some Cat 1160 V8, 1673 I6, 1693 I6 and 1676 V8 found their way into some Pete's.

I'm speculating a bit here but this question are for Tim Ahlborn, he would know for sure.

Cheers. I found the answer of the truck I was looking at. It's in another state and I tracked down the owner and gave him a phone call. I don't think he got what I was talking about but he gave me the info I was after. His particular 351 has a Nhc 250 cummins with rubber block Hendrickson and 5 spoke spider wheels.

Ben

Yes...more power equals more heat so they need more cooling, that's the reason they abandoned the narrow nose trucks in the late 60's and did a wider hood so they could fit a wider radiator for better cooling.
High horsepower engines from all suppliers often needed more room, for instance the Detroit 12V-71, Cat 1693 and Cummins KTA 600 as they are quite long and some are also taller than the less powerful engines.

Edited by Force