Model Cars Magazine Forum

A 1925 Mack AC Bull Dog tractor trailer

I started with the Mongram 1926 Mack Bull Dog and removed 1 1/16 of an inch from the frame , then anouther 1/2 inch from just behind the rear springs. Then made a new rear frame piece with a curve then used fine strip stock to make the new rear frame then framed it and added a new spreader bar . After thaht was done I assembeled the frame as normal, also the motor . Then I moved on to shorten the drive shaft and brake rods to fit.

After all was done on the frame I set it saide to let the glue dry , then went to work on the cab it is box stock except I carefully removed the molded in screen and the IM emblem and replaced the screen with fine screen from 3 old aerators I also used the same screen on the fan shroud. then next modifaction was to remove the molded in gas tank so the cab would fit correctly on the frame then used evergreen tubing to make a new gas tank . then after all was done I primered the frame then painted it gloss black, set it aside to dry then painted and detailed the motor. whille the frame and cab was drying I went to work on makeing the fifth wheel from pics and measurements provided by Vince Putt that consists of 30 pieces .

th_DSC00333.jpg

th_DSC00332.jpg

th_DSC00340.jpg

th_DSC00342.jpg

the finished truck

th_IMGP2364.jpg

th_IMGP2362.jpg

th_IMGP2361.jpg

Now moveing on to the trailer .

Haveingonly two pics to work from this build was all guess work . The trailer was made from sheet stock and evergreen strip stock other then the sub frame , springs , axle , tires and wheels. It measures 6 inches long with no landing legs as they were supported by heavy jacks when disconnected. I am thinking this trailer was a Fruehauf trailer , Mack also made trailers at the time and the fifth wheel is copied from pics of a Fruehauf fifth wheel .The trailer is made from 73 pieces the sub frame is from Mack AC also the tires and , axle and wheels .The rear door hinges are ho scals hinges I bouth years ago and almost the right scale for the doors .Again thanks to Vince Putt for the pics and measure ments of the fifth wheel .

th_DSC00341.jpg

th_DSC00337.jpg

th_DSC00336.jpg

th_DSC00338.jpg

The completed rig

th_IMGP2354.jpg

th_IMGP2353.jpg

th_IMGP2352.jpg

th_IMGP2351.jpg

• 2 months later...

aerator screen is in the end or your kitchen or bathroom faucet you can but replacements from the hardware stor or any plave carrying plumbing supplies it can be taken apart to remove the screen Ihad replaced mine in my faucets and cleaned the old ones for this build

I'm blown away by this build! I LOVE IT!!! I have been thinking about doing an AC Bulldog as a Tanker/trailer. I have two of the tank truck kits and was going to use both tanks for the trailer... Thanks for the tractor pics! They answered what questions I had in reference to the tractor conversion, 5th wheel style, etc...

I'll definitely post pics of the build... If you're up for it, there's 22 various Monogram 1926 Mack kits on Ebay, averaging around $25.00 per... there's a couple of complete/started kits for around $3.00 bid with 5 days left... Every once in a while, someone will put several on for a .99 opening bid and flood the market. That's how I got my tanker for $7.00 with S&H... Got it in the last minute for the opening bid...

• 2 weeks later...