Model Cars Magazine Forum

I have until January 10 to finish this for the CARS in Miniature Club Banquet theme. Wish me luck!

The idea is to do a mid-60's style VW bus as a Woody, but with applique as station wagons of that era were done. Had a little extra bleed through on the chrome strip separating the white from the orange, but BMF will take care of that. Needs a little touch up and then clear coating.

Just a hint of what is going on:

DSCF9621_zps83caf15b.jpg

Getting closer. Here are most of major parts/subassemblies:

DSCF9629_zpsc8f88a6a.jpg

Here is a better idea of the woody concept on this early 60's bus

DSCF9630_zps682acebe.jpg

DSCF9631_zpsd12ccc7d.jpg

Conceptually, this is reminiscent of the 60’s wagons where the wood siding was an applique. I am attempting to recreate that here. Also, since this is applied to the body, I made allowances for gas filler and side vents. Since the doors create an asymmetric design, the wood effect reflects this.

For the interior, I went with a tan naugahyde theme in keeping with older woody interiors. Since this is a mid-60’s theme, I placed a record player and some photo-reduced album covers as part of the interior layout.

DSCF9632_zpse10ce234.jpg

Even the roof area of the van gets some wood trim and I am working on how to get the surfboards and carrier mounted with clearance for the sliding canvas roof part.

DSCF9633_zpsa886c408.jpg

I have a week and a half to get this done. It will be tight.

• 2 weeks later...