Model Cars Magazine Forum

Storing tips and tricks on your computer

my66s55

I have pondered posting this trick for quite some time, but finally decided to come forth. First off. I don't use windows or Mac as an operating system. I have created within my system,a folder for tips and tricks. In this folder, I copy both texed and pictorial information from this and other website to create my own file for reference. It eliminates the need to search for info on subject when needed.

• 4 weeks later...

I have pondered posting this trick for quite some time, but finally decided to come forth. First off. I don't use windows or Mac as an operating system...

So what do you use? I'm not aware of any computers out there that you can buy that don't come with either one or the other. What else is there? Did you build your computer in your garage or something???

No, DOS is not coming back. Harry, many people are unaware of Linux. A simple read through at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux will help to educate anyone on what it is. You might be interested to learn that the Android system used on smart phones and tablet computers is Linux based. If you open and read the wikipedia page, you will learn how widely used Linux is in all sectors and countries. I believe there are 58 versions of Linux at the present. I use one called ubuntu.

Simple Harry. If you read through the weki, you would learn that it is faster, easier to use and supported by many companies like Oracle and free. Linux doesn't know what an executable file is, so no hijacks, worms virus's etc. I had my computer hijacked 3 times a year and a half ago by Eastern Euro's and there phony virus software. I got it once from downloading a video of Jay Leno's Model T. Once you use Linux, you won't go back to windoz. If I need to run a windoz program in Linux, Oracle makes a free virtual windows add on program that runs inside Linux to do that. I find that there are very few equivalent programs that aren't available in Linux. It runs on a regular pc. If you really want to know why I use it, ask yourself why you use a Mac. Because it's better. So now you know Harry. There is another operating system for a pc. It installs as easy or easier than window and in my opinion, is much better. Go here and learn what it is and see why I use it. http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/why-use-ubuntu. You can't learn why until you know what it is.

Edited by my66s55

I understand Harry, but you asked me why use it. I simply explained. I know your on a Mac. The Linux community is larger than you think and growing. 99% using windows is a little high. I used IBM OS2 from 1995 to 2000 and only had to give it up when IBM, as usual, quit supporting it.

DeBary, with 1 r is were I live Tim. I have not had any problem with drivers. I'm using an AMD 64 setup with an ATI graphics card, Canon Pixma printer. Ubuntu releases a new version every 6 mos and supports released versions for 2 years after release with continual updates. I use version 10-10 which was released when I installed it in November of 2010. The 10-10 stands for October, 2010.

• 1 month later...

Patrick no U can't first off Linux has its own operating system and secondly Y would U want to place a virus on a completely clean and easy to use system that works better than all the others, wot R you jealuos of Linux. My wife and I operate 2 laptops she has Windows and all the strife in the world and I use Linux no problems at all and it's so simple even a blind man could use it no so with windows, besides i think the M.S. built all the prolems into their software so they could sell all the patch programs to save evry computer program they sell they R real shockers and real ripoff merchants. Go Linux. Oh by the way this is being written on the Windows Laptop.

Dingo B)

Edited by Dingo5162

• 3 weeks later...

Was this thread supposed to be about computer stuff, or did it just turn out that way because of the OP? Seems like it was intended for tips and tricks about car modeling.

I just discovered that the best way to see mold lines and other flaws is to take your model outside early in the morning or late in the afternoon. But that tip has nothing to do with Linux, so maybe I'm in the wrong department?

Was this thread supposed to be about computer stuff, or did it just turn out that way because of the OP? Seems like it was intended for tips and tricks about car modeling.

I just discovered that the best way to see mold lines and other flaws is to take your model outside early in the morning or late in the afternoon. But that tip has nothing to do with Linux, so maybe I'm in the wrong department?

It just turned out that way because of Harry (If you don't use Windows or Mac, what do you use?). What the OP was trying to say is that when he sees a useful tip on the internet, he copies it and saves it to a file in a directory on his computer. That way, it is easy for him to find again. Non-computer/OS specific. People do it with index cards and paper notebooks, too.

I think when people see the subject line and start scrolling down, they see only computer info, and assume that that's what the thread is all about. Which it is.

What about changing the subject line to "Computer Tips and Tricks for Modelers"? If you reply "Hey, that's a good idea!" I'll recommend it to Gregg.

I'm not arguing with you, I was just curious, since 99% of PC people use some version of MS Windows.

As for me, I don't use Windows at all, I'm Mac all the way and have been from day 1. So Windows vs. Linux doesn't even apply.

For my $0.02, the Mac operating system has evolved from a BSD-based (UNIX) operating system; Linux is an open-source variant of the UNIX operating system. I know there are lots of symantecs here that the Mac folks might step on my toes over, but in a nutshell this is where they come from. Plus Linux OS variants are USUALLY free!