Model Cars Magazine Forum

In Progress: Revell Dodge Ram VTS

So, as happens so often with me, I hit a roadblock on a build and got frustrated with it, boxing it back up for awhile. Looking around the stash for something else to work on, and saw my Ram VTS pickup kit sitting there. The mind started (slowly) turning...not gonna do a lot with this one, pretty much box stock with a couple tweaks here and there...

P1040271_zps7c972758.jpg

Wheels are from the Revell Dodge Magnum kit, stripped of their chrome. I will be leaving them unpainted, I like the molded color. This is just about what the stance will be as well, based on early test-fitting.

P1040273_zps3e68e07b.jpg

Interior color scheme is Testors Fabric Gray and gray primer, dash is Walmart's brand flat black.

P1040275_zps0efd1384.jpg

I wanted a more traditional, old-school Mopar look for the engine, so the block is painted Testors Hemi Orange, transmission is a mix of Tamiya colors, and the intake, valve covers, and headers are, I think, Krylon silver.

P1040272_zpsa4e66b3f.jpg

On the hood, I filled in the creases with Tamiya putty and will mold on the scoop off a Monogram '79 Z28...I got the idea from a build of Sean Svendson, which has a resin hood incorporating a AAR 'cuda-style scoop.

Color scheme, I think, is gonna be Testors White Lightning one-coat lacquer, with some sort of graphics in Testors GTS Blue Pearl. Stay tuned...

IIRC, some of the early Shelby Dakotas were convertibles, weren't they?

Nope, Dakota Sports were the only to carry the convertible ideal.

here's a modded one I found on the interwebz of a Dakota Sport

ea21bd85.jpg

and a shelby dakota

10360d1096652898-fs-1989-shelby-dakota-894-11.jpg

Very nice build thus far!

Edited by relaxednoma

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of progress on this one...

Interior done:

P1040279.jpg

Didn't like the size of the kit's brake rotors, so I made my own from steel washers and bits of painted styrene:

P1040281.jpg

Engine and radiator installed:

P1040289.jpg

Chassis completed:

P1040292.jpg

Grille and bumper grilles opened:

P1040287.jpg

Hood scoop molded on, although now that there's color applied, I see it needs a bit more massaging and smoothing along the sides of the scoop:

P1040288.jpg

My paint scheme also changed from what was planned...I had shot it with Testors White Lightning lacquer, but wasn't sold on the appearance, so new color is Testors Citrus Yellow lacquer, and it will have black stripes of some sort along the sides of the body. Unsure if I will keep the black insert in the hood scoop or just black out the middle portion of the hood altogether...

Stay tuned...

Edited by Captain Obvious

• 3 weeks later...