Model Cars Magazine Forum

1955 Chevy Cameo Pick-Up custom

So here's my first try at something custom. I did a lot of reading from this forum for ideas for this build. I wanted a lowered truck with some nice wheels and a hinged tonneau cover. I was thinking about opening the doors but there was such a huge gap between the body and interior, I deemed it to be beyond my skills at the moment. The wheels are from an old Ertl "Fast and the Furious" Camaro kit that my friend gave me recently.

Here you can see where I blocked up in front of the leaf spring to lower the back end.

IMG_0421.jpg

Here I put the axle on top of the leaf springs and cut the springs to lower the front end. Its a little scabby but it worked.

IMG_0423.jpg

I added the sun visor but i wanted it to look smooth and one piece. I also wanted the lines to be straight all the way down the truck, so I built up the areas behind the doors with putty and sanded smooth.

IMG_0455.jpg

Here you can see how much I had to build up to achieve the effect.

IMG_0457.jpg

Here's my hinged tonneau. I used a sheet of styrene and half round rods for the edge trim.

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

I didn't want the big ugly badge on the front either, putty putty

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

And here it is primered

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

Edited by northendmetalallstar

Actually its this AMT kit

product.jpg

oh, ok. I'm building the other AMT '55 with the other box art... well sort of

I'm with Chris on the color. I like the way it looks now. Esp. with that lowered stance, well done on that too, BTW

EDIT: Does the glass fit bad on your kit as it does on mine?

Edited by Edward Gore

The poor fitting glass is one of the several quirks of this kit. Not only does it not quite fit right to how the kit is designed (flush with the cab), it's not prototypically accurate to the 1:1, as the top of the glass is actually about 2" in from the edge of the cab roof. Here's a pic of how it should look.

2549740050092261295S425x425Q85.jpg

I think the ill-fitting glass is just a feature of the kit. I have a '55 and two '57s and they all fit horribly.

You know, I haven't even taken the windows out of the plastic yet. Kinda disappointing to hear poorly fitting windows are standard with this kit. Hopefully the sun visor can hide it somewhat.

Jay,

It looks like you're off to a good start on your custom Cameo.

Here's a couple of pictures of ones I built several years ago.

57ChevyPickup10-vi.jpg

55PSPickup101-vi.jpg

To fix the ill fitting front windshield, I glue a strip of 0.03" styrene to the bottom edge of the glass, (actually its the window trim), and sand to fit.

Once you've got it fitting well you can either add Bare Metal Foil or paint to cover the styrene you added.

Later,