Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's see your geegaws!

Anybody know what this is? It's a stuffed animal, but what animal? It's from AMT 1962 Tempest kit:

7a81da42.jpg

Sorta looks like a Kewpie Doll Cow to me.

Speakin' of all the extras in various model car kits..I liked the mini-bike in the Monogram "Vandal" kit...then there was the Schwinn Stingray bike in the MPC 29' Woody .

I believe a few kits came w/ skateboards too.

The MPC Indy Turbine racer came w/ a Ford Wheelhorse type tractor as I recall.

One thing I liked to have is car club plaques..not the decal ones but the little rectangular ones w/ surface relief to them..like the ones in the Revell Roth "Outlaw"

( Tridents car club ) and the four plaques in the Revell Custom Car Parts Pack "Bumpers & Grilles ".

As popular as these items were in real 1:1 customs & rods back in the 50's - 60's I never understood why they weren't more accurately represented in kits.

through the years I only found one aftermarket company that did decent club plaques & they're long gone. I believe they were in Canada...and did plaques in photo etch for The Pharoahs, The Rod Benders, The Road Knights and The Kustoms.

Glad I bought a set before they went under.

The Nichimo 1:16 Ford Mutt came with camping gear, a guitar, a revolver and a rifle and a driver with a separate ten gallon Stetson.

Many of the old Japanese kits came with some geegaw or other. There was a series by Tamiya, where each kit contained a 1/24 car and a moped or scooter.

Most of the Japanese vans contained some kind of recreational gear, like skateboards, RC models, ghetto blasters, tennis rackets, the like.

The Monogram 1/24 Tom Daniel Red Baron comes with a little Fokker Triplane.

Edited by Junkman

John, I think you're referring to the two chrome whiskey cans , couple of guns , and whiskey bottles along with a violin case too. These were part of the driver and a another figure that could stand . All this came with in the 1928 Lincon touring car . Ed Shaver

Edited by Eshaver

I came across a small box of these collected items a few weeks ago so don't know what kits they all came from but they included:

-phones including a pay phone, cb radio sets and mics

-45 rpm record player

-reel to reel tape recorder

-televisions

-movie camera

-various trophies, some with cars or top and others with cups

-numerous styles of jacks

-small tool boxes

-individual tools including lug wrenches

-various cans and round jerry cans

-cinder blocks

-several types of engine stands

-chrome brake drums

-suitcases

-fire extinguishers

-a couple of different laying down dogs

-a short length of corrogated racing barrier

-drive-inn style window tray

-drag shutes including at least one kit that had an open one

-helmets, racing & WWII style biker helmets

-surf boards

Other have mentioned the mini bikes and go carts but don't forget the utility trailers & car hauler trailers.

Because many of these items were small they went into my spares boxes and didn't suffer the fate that many of the kits met from those early modelling days. Thanks for starting this thread, it was nice to be reminded of all these little suprises that were often found it the early car kits.

rob

If necessary, I'll get a picture of this up. Anyway, I think it was in 1961, the S M P Chevrolet Annual kit provided a small scale Bill board . I think it was also in the 1962 Chevrolet Styline Hardtop kit too.

Here is a scan of A M T's 1961 Buick Special station wagon accessories :

AMT61BuickSpecialpage4.jpg

The same parts were also in the A M T 62 Buick Special wagon and the 1963 Chevrolet Nova station wagon kits too

Ed Shaver

Hey James, AKA Joker, where did you get the skeleton that's on yer custom motor cycle??????????????????????

He's from the lil coffin show car..broke all the joints and reset him on the bike

had to fill in a hole in his head where he had his hand at.

I came across a small box of these collected items a few weeks ago so don't know what kits they all came from but they included:

-phones including a pay phone, cb radio sets and mics

-45 rpm record player

-reel to reel tape recorder

-televisions

-movie camera

-various trophies, some with cars or top and others with cups

-numerous styles of jacks

-small tool boxes

-individual tools including lug wrenches

-various cans and round jerry cans

-cinder blocks

-several types of engine stands

-chrome brake drums

-suitcases

-fire extinguishers

-a couple of different laying down dogs

-a short length of corrogated racing barrier

-drive-inn style window tray

-drag shutes including at least one kit that had an open one

-helmets, racing & WWII style biker helmets

-surf boards

Other have mentioned the mini bikes and go carts but don't forget the utility trailers & car hauler trailers.

Because many of these items were small they went into my spares boxes and didn't suffer the fate that many of the kits met from those early modelling days. Thanks for starting this thread, it was nice to be reminded of all these little suprises that were often found it the early car kits.

rob

Hey Rob, at your convenience, I don't suppose you'd be willing to show us some of those would you? Maybe some of the more unusual ones?

• 7 months later...

When I started this thread I intended to post photos of these, then I couldn't find them. I accidentally came across them this weekend.

A TV set. It's not easy to make out but showing in relief in the upper left corner is AMT, then HOT ROD, and you can just make out Hot Rod Cat driving a speedster.

TV.jpg

Brief case.

BriefCase.jpg

There was no weathering done to this gas can, this is just how it looks after getting kicked around in the parts box for a few decades.

GasCan.jpg

I love this. You can make out an early vintage Sgt. Snorkel on the TV screen.

TVSarge.jpg

Yet another different TV along with a reel to reel tape deck. (What's a cassette? What's an 8 track?)

R2RTV.jpg

And someone really threw them together for a complete surveillance control station, at least that's what it makes me think of.

CommCentral.jpg

The MPC '78 Dodge Little Red Express Truck kit had a tool box (w/ tools cast into the inside bottom) and a 2-piece floor jack. Not sure if the reissues have those parts.

I have a builtup AMT '61 Lincoln convertible that has a part that looks like an extra---a rectangular box w/ like six knobs on it. Someone long ago glued it in the middle of the back seat. Don't know what the part is or if it even came w/ the Lincoln.

Maybe one of the kit makers should include one of those stupid crybaby dolls that seem to clutter up every Main Street car show in the last five years...

2jbl18y.jpg

On second thought, never mind.

What we REALLY need is a little baggy of 1/25th scale angel hair so we can do an authentic early '60s show display!...

post-1305-0-02994700-1350576470_thumb.jp

Edited by John Goschke

no one has the bar from the AMT Chrysler Imperial - maybe '63?

it was an odd little thing that got glued to the center of the rear seat. not sure how the driver was expected to get a refill.

He gets a refill from the chicks that are always in the back seat of '63 Imperials, of course! :lol: