Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford GT40 MkIV engine?

Hi,

Would any one happen to know a source for a 66' Ford GT40 MkIV engine?

Or perhaps a parts list I could use to build one?

I'm having a bit of a time wrapping my head around it. It seems to be an MkII engine/trans; 7L 427 (what a beastie).

Seems like a 66' Nascar Ford Galaxie would do the trick as well?

Or mebbe the Revell Ford 427 parts pack?

Edited by aurfalien

I personally think the Revell parts-pack 427 Ford engine kit makes a good, cheap starting point for any FE engine, and the kit comes with 2 4bbl carbs and manifold, a setup seen on some MkIV cars. The kit also includes an optional set of headers, the signature coolant expansion tanks found on these engines during this era, a manual gearbox, and a complete optional GMC blower setup. You can get 4 of them with free shipping on Ebay for $17, or one for about $7.

Some folks call these old Revell engine kits "fiddly". You'll need to strip the chrome, and they take some care in squaring up the many parts that make up the longblock assembly, but I think they build into really good looking models.

I don't have a good recommendation for something to use for a gearbox, but if you can score an old AMT Coyote kit cheap, all the guts in it should give you a reasonable MkIV, as the old MPC MkIV is the basis for the kit.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

What do you think about using the engine from a Cobra 427 SC kit?

Fujimi and Revell/Monogram have what look like good engines;

Fujimi 427 SC;

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10025342z/70/1

Revell/Monogram 427 SC;

http://manuals.hobbico.com/rmx/85-4011.pdf

* This is the Monogram kit, not the Revell one.

UPDATE;

After studying the instructions a bit, it seems the Monogram kit has a better rendition of the engine. For example, the distributor, carbs/air cleaners are integrated in the Fujimi kit. Were as they are individual parts on the Monogram kit.

Edited by aurfalien

The Mark IV only ever competed in two races, both in '67, the 12 Hrs of Sebring and the 24 Hrs of Le Man and won both races. Immediately after the Le Man victory 7 liter displacement engines were banned and this made the Mark IV obsolete.

All of the small scale 427's are junk. They are blobs and lumps of cheesy old tooling with poor proportions. If accuracy is important to you, you need good photos easily available on the web so you can modify what you have. It will show in the back of a GT. The best of the poor lot is Trumpeter's 1/12 from their MK II - and only because it's bigger and more easily corrected.

You'll need good accurate pics of the distributor, water pump, fuel pump, coil and intake.

Here's my Sideoiler; pay attention to the distinctive exposed exhaust ports and the angle of the plugs inserted in each bank. The coil correctly bolts to the left head face - a detail always overlooked but very visible. And the original plug wires were only 7mm - don't put thick wiring on it anywhere. Fuel line should be 3/8" hardline; braided is only seen on restored cars of today:

3_zpsb6071383.jpg

2_zps2c8bfd70.jpg

1_zpsed2b3d71.jpg

4_zpsfc0aedb8.jpg

Finally, here's my Trump MK II's engine; forget everything below the exhaust ports - you won't see it.

58Medium_zps3d0eaf93.jpg

A Ford FE engine is a FE engine regardless of wich displacement it is and you woun't see any difference on the outside except for different valve covers, intake and exhaust systems...so if it's a 352, 361, 390, 406, 410, 427 or 428 they all basically looks the same as they all are based on the same block and head designs, some special versions were available such as the Side Oiler, High-Riser and SOHC but they were not produced for very long.

I don't agree with the statement "All of the small scale 427's are junk"...as not all 1:24 and 1:25 FE engines are "blobs and lumps of cheesy old tooling with poor proportions".

The best looking and most accurate FE engine in my opinion in the "small" 1:25 scale is the one in the AMT 1960 Ford Galaxie Starliner kits...If you haven't seen one I suggest you take a look. particulary in the Custom or 2'n 1 kits where you get lots of goodies.

The FE engines in the AMT 66 Ford Fairlane 390 GT, 66 Fairlane 427 and 67 Mercury Comet aren't that bad either, and Revell did a decent High-Riser 427 in the 64 Ford Thunderbolt kits...these are 1:25th scale, if we go to the 1:24th scale you have the ones from the Revell/Monogram AC Cobra kits. wich are not that bad.

When the 7 litre engines were banned after the 1967 season they returned to the GT40 Mk I and won LeMans again 1968 and 1969 with 5 litre small block Ford engines.

Edited by Force

All of the small scale 427's are junk. They are blobs and lumps of cheesy old tooling with poor proportions. If accuracy is important to you, you need good photos easily available on the web so you can modify what you have. It will show in the back of a GT. The best of the poor lot is Trumpeter's 1/12 from their MK II - and only because it's bigger and more easily corrected.

You'll need good accurate pics of the distributor, water pump, fuel pump, coil and intake.

Here's my Sideoiler; pay attention to the distinctive exposed exhaust ports and the angle of the plugs inserted in each bank. The coil correctly bolts to the left head face - a detail always overlooked but very visible. And the original plug wires were only 7mm - don't put thick wiring on it anywhere. Fuel line should be 3/8" hardline; braided is only seen on restored cars of today:

4_zpsfc0aedb8.jpg

Finally, here's my Trump MK II's engine; forget everything below the exhaust ports - you won't see it.

Is that a "tunnel port" 427 Cato?

I don't agree with the statement "All of the small scale 427's are junk"...as not all 1:24 and 1:25 FE engines are "blobs and lumps of cheesy old tooling with poor proportions".

Then we can agree to disagree my friend HÃ¥kan. :)

As you can see, my frame of reference is 'hands-on'.

Apparently our efforts are not that important to the OP anyway.

The FE engines in the AMT 66 Ford Fairlane 390 GT, 66 Fairlane 427 and 67 Mercury Comet aren't that bad either, and Revell did a decent High-Riser 427 in the 64 Ford Thunderbolt kits...these are 1:25th scale, if we go to the 1:24th scale you have the ones from the Revell/Monogram AC Cobra kits. wich are not that bad.

Coolio, I thought the Monogram 427 Cobra kit looked pretty cool so I went with it for the engine etc...

I also have kind of hands on experience of the FE's, I don't own one myself but a couple of my friends in our car club who I share garage with have several of them, so I come in contact with them often.

If you haven't seen the engine in the AMT 1960 Galaxie Starliner Custom or 2n'1 kits I suggest you take a look...it's one of AMT's last developed new tooling kits and the engine is very nice...I think you will revaluate your statement after you have seen it. ;)

Edited by Force

This seems a little mean. I hope this was done in humour. Though, despite the "smiley face" it does come for that way.

Scott

This seems a little mean. I hope this was done in humour. Though, despite the "smiley face" it does come for that way.

Scott

No Scott it was a very polite way to say that I stand by my opinion and respect that HÃ¥kan stands by his. We each gave proof and he gave a very polite rejoinder to my comments. Disagreement does not mean nastiness.

He apparently has no ill feeling about my comments.

Nor should you.

Oh contraire mon fraire.

I learned a very good amount, mainly that you both have a very high degree of knowledge and attention to detail.

I also learned that there is no way I can, at my current skill level, produce an accurate scratch build of any kind.

So I am building to impress myself, so far so good :)

Oh contraire mon fraire.

I learned a very good amount, mainly that you both have a very high degree of knowledge and attention to detail.

I also learned that there is no way I can, at my current skill level, produce an accurate scratch build of any kind.

So I am building to impress myself, so far so good :)

OK, glad to see you participate.

Building for yourself is a great way to improve your skills. Study what the builders here share and you'll expand rapidly.

• 2 weeks later...