Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 1969 Chevelle Convertible

Toner283

Same goes for the Super Sport option on the 1969-only Custom 300 coupe : allegedly no mention of such a combination in the brochures (according to the owner of the gorgeous red car featured in the M.C.R. article) .

Well, they're not in the showroom brochures because they were a mid-year introduction as a "Road Runner fighter." I don't recall reading much if anything about them in the hot rod press of the time, either. Like the COPOs, they were a very low-key deal, but available if you knew who/how to ask.

Come to think of it, '68-'69 2-door 300s of ANY power were pretty rare. I doubt I've seen a dozen of them in all these years. Apparently those wanting a 2-door moved on up to the Malibu, and those wanting a cheap Chevelle also wanted too many doors on it.

Edited by Snake45

Well, they're not in the showroom brochures because they were a mid-year introduction as a "Road Runner fighter." I don't recall reading much if anything about them in the hot rod press of the time, either. Like the COPOs, they were a very low-key deal, but available if you knew who/how to ask.

Come to think of it, '68-'69 2-door 300s of ANY power were pretty rare. I doubt I've seen a dozen of them in all these years. Apparently those wanting a 2-door moved on up to the Malibu, and those wanting a cheap Chevelle also wanted too many doors on it.

Always thought it was weird that Chevy, the entry level GM brand didn't have a Chevelle 2dr sedan from '70-72, yet Pontiac, Olds and Buick did..that made no sense.

How is the fit of the AMT 70 MONTE CARLO chassis under this kit?

Poor. The wheelbase is longer. So is the wheelbase of the '67 mentioned in an earlier post.

As stated earlier, the AMT 69 Cutlass W-30 kit chassis and running gear fits well under either the hardtop or the convertible bodies. Added bonus is that it is an easy kit to find and can usually be had for around $10. In full scale the frames would have been virtually identical across all of the mid sized GM musclecars. i.e. Chevelle, Cutlass, GTO, Skylark, GTX, Lemans, Tempest, etc from 68-72.

I have also been playing with the chassis from the Revell 72 olds cutlass kit. It needs a few modifications at the front and rear to fit nicely but after a bit of trimming it seems to play well with the Chevelle body & interior. I havent gotten any farther than mock up yet though. In addition to the chassis, the Cutlass supreme kit(not the Hurst/Olds issue) also has a convertible up top that fits the Chevelle. the Hurst/Olds kit does not have the up top in it. Both the Hurst/Olds and the Cutlass Supreme have a seperate TH400 auto trans or muncie 4 speed. The TH400 would be correct for an automatic transmission behind a big block.

For a well detailed big block I use the one out of the Revell 65 Chevelle Z16 kit. With some paint detailing and a bit of wiring this is a very realistic looking engine. Far better than the lump of plastic that comes in the 69 Chevelle kit. If you were to choose the automatic transmission then the AMT 68 El Camino kit has the correct automatic transmission console with the "horseshoe" shifter. That console should be correct for either 68 or 69 Chevelle. If you were wanting to build a 68 hardtop or convertible then the Modelhaus makes a conversion kit. The grill, the tail lights and the dash are the main differences. some of the trim and marker lights also need to be changed to build a correct 68 or 69. The trim on the bodies are currently kind of a mixture of the two years.

Hopefully some helpful information.

Edited by Toner283

Always thought it was weird that Chevy, the entry level GM brand didn't have a Chevelle 2dr sedan from '70-72, yet Pontiac, Olds and Buick did..that made no sense.

I've often wondered the same thing.

There are a lot of options to the builder of this '69 Chevelle convertible kit.

I think the '69 Cutlass is a great choice to update the old Chevelle kit chassis. Another option is cut 4 scale inches off the front half (forward of the firewall) of the new '70 AMT Monte Carlo kit. The Chevelle wheelbase is 112 versus 116 on the Monte Carlo which is a modified A body. I guess it depends on how much kits cost and whether you have a Cutlass or Monte in your basement for parts. My observation is the '69 Cutlass is cheaper to buy?

About the 375 hp engine; I thought I was a matter of aluminum heads on a 396. Paint detail might imply that engine?

About the 375 hp engine; I thought I was a matter of aluminum heads on a 396. Paint detail might imply that engine?

Not so. The regular 375-hp L78 had cast iron heads. IIRC, the aluminum heads were their own option, L89.

The L78 did have the aluminum intake manifold, though.

Edited by Snake45

Well, this topic the moderator decided to dump my question into doesn't really have much to do with the old release. :angry:

Thanks for the help, and I have enough info to make a decision now!

Well, the last issue I had was from the Countdown Series. It was typical Sixties AMT ware a bit from towards the lower end of their portfolio.

I remember the taillight treatment being truly awful and that this issue still had the glass piece that was a carryover from '68, thus it still included the vent windows,

something I believe was indeed rectified in later issues.

I agree, your queston pertained an entirely different kit and should not have been tossed in here.

Edited by Junkman

The biggest sore spot for me with the '69 Chevelle is the tail lights. They aren't even close. Nor are the originals. I made a set for my Chevelle using the top portion of the custom tail light housings, styrene and putty. This is one that I did a quicky foil and paint on. When I do it for good, I'll add a square of foil for the back up light and cover it with either future or windshield glue. I'm going to cast a couple of sets once I do a final tuning on these just in case I ever decide to build more.

006_zpsiywfdohb.jpg

Here it is dry fit into the model.

009_zpslq7wswmy.jpg

Well, the last issue I had was from the Countdown Series. It was typical Sixties AMT ware a bit from towards the lower end of their portfolio.

I remember the taillight treatment being truly awful and that this issue still had the glass piece that was a carryover from '68, thus it still included the vent windows,

something I believe was indeed rectified in later issues.

I agree, your queston pertained an entirely different kit and should not have been tossed in here.

Not really...same kit, different body. 95% of the parts are the same.

An odd thing--the windshield was fixed IIRC in later issues of the hardtop, but the convertible still has the '68 windshield. Another issue has always been the missing turn signals from the front bumper. The Countdown Series was the first appearance of the convertible kit, there was no annual of the convertible back in '69 (though I think there was a promo?)

1970 L89-equipped L78 375 hp / 396 in a 1970 Nova . Note its natural-finish aluminum heads :

http://www.supercars.net/Pics?viewPic=y&source=carGal&carID=4785&pgID=1&pID=775126

Very cool! I didn't know Chevy still offered 396s in '70 Novas. I wonder if it's a phantom? Either way, the workmanship on that car is amazing.

Very cool! I didn't know Chevy still offered 396s in '70 Novas. I wonder if it's a phantom? Either way, the workmanship on that car is amazing.

That particular Nova is alleged to be the only L89-equipped Nova for 1970 . Most aluminum head 396's were installed in Chevelles and the Camaro .

1970 was the last year for the 396 Nova . A former coworker of mine had one ; Shadow Grey with base SS black interior , 4-speed , 3.42 gear with Posi .

He bought it in the 80's before the first Muscle Car boom .

He parked the original engine and transmission in his garage , and replaced 'em with a 502 , backed by a Doug Nash 5 speed (5th is Direct) ; he left the stock 3.42 gear , but the differential was rebuilt / "C"-clips eliminated .

It is strange that the '68 windshield is still in the kit. ERTL removed the vent glass from the hardtop. I liked the '68 glass to do a '68 convertible.

The turn signals are on the annual, Countdown and Matchbox issues. ERTL opened up the bumper in the '90s and forgot the turn lights.

This is how I dealt with the taillight issue. :D

133_3376-vi.jpg

Did you make those taillights or did you buy them in resin? and did you make the nose to match? I think a matching pair of Beaumont convertible & hardtop cars would look great sitting beside a pair of convertible & hardtop Chevelles.

Either way need to see more of that car. Preferably a front three quarter shot.

As stated earlier, the AMT 69 Cutlass W-30 kit chassis and running gear fits well under either the hardtop or the convertible bodies. Added bonus is that it is an easy kit to find and can usually be had for around $10. In full scale the frames would have been virtually identical across all of the mid sized GM musclecars. i.e. Chevelle, Cutlass, GTO, Skylark, GTX, Lemans, Tempest, etc from 68-72.

I have also been playing with the chassis from the Revell 72 olds cutlass kit. It needs a few modifications at the front and rear to fit nicely but after a bit of trimming it seems to play well with the Chevelle body & interior. I havent gotten any farther than mock up yet though. In addition to the chassis, the Cutlass supreme kit(not the Hurst/Olds issue) also has a convertible up top that fits the Chevelle. the Hurst/Olds kit does not have the up top in it. Both the Hurst/Olds and the Cutlass Supreme have a seperate TH400 auto trans or muncie 4 speed. The TH400 would be correct for an automatic transmission behind a big block.

For a well detailed big block I use the one out of the Revell 65 Chevelle Z16 kit. With some paint detailing and a bit of wiring this is a very realistic looking engine. Far better than the lump of plastic that comes in the 69 Chevelle kit. If you were to choose the automatic transmission then the AMT 68 El Camino kit has the correct automatic transmission console with the "horseshoe" shifter. That console should be correct for either 68 or 69 Chevelle. If you were wanting to build a 68 hardtop or convertible then the Modelhaus makes a conversion kit. The grill, the tail lights and the dash are the main differences. some of the trim and marker lights also need to be changed to build a correct 68 or 69. The trim on the bodies are currently kind of a mixture of the two years.

Hopefully some helpful information.

Chris,

I agree that the Z-16 has an awesome big block, but GM changed the accessory drive in 69. The Monte Carlo engine is spot-on for a 69-up big block, and it comes with A/C. I have been wondering if it would be possible to slice and dice the Chevelle chassis with the Monte Carlo to come up with the right wheelbase and more detail.

Chris,

I agree that the Z-16 has an awesome big block, but GM changed the accessory drive in 69. The Monte Carlo engine is spot-on for a 69-up big block, and it comes with A/C. I have been wondering if it would be possible to slice and dice the Chevelle chassis with the Monte Carlo to come up with the right wheelbase and more detail.

You could graft the front part of the Elky or M.C. frame to the Chevelle chassis plate if the frame rails line up. IIRC, I used the M.C.s engine in my Beaumont with the underhood sheetmetal from the Elky.

I'll post up the Beaumont in the under glass section for you Scott and I'll explain about what I did for the conversion and adding detail to the kit.