Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thanks Dr. Cranky!

Several months ago I viewed one of Dr. Cranky's videos where he was discussing clear coats. At the time, I didn't really think much of it, as I had my airbrushes, compressor, and dedicated paint area in which to apply my color and clear coats. After moving to an apartment in Central Florida, all of these items were in storage, and I asked myself "What is a guy to do"? So, I reviewed Dr. Cranky's video, and tried to see where I could find this stuff(DuPont™ A-7480S™ Acrylic Trim & Jamb Clear).

http://www.johnsonautobodysupply.com/Acrylic-Trim-Jamb-Clear.html Seemed that it was rather ellusive to locate via mail order... Now, this was probably operator error on my part, as a recent trip to Carquest Auto Parts yielded the knowledge that they carried it. I also learned that they custom mix cans of spray paint only 5 minutes from my apartment. Well, after trying the DuPont 7480S, I have to say "YEAH"! This clear coat went on smoothly and dried crystal clear. Two medium coats looked great on the trial spoon on which I had tested different colored primers under a coat of Krylon Cherry Red to match a particular color for a series of projects that I am working on. Even better is that I applied the 7480S over some custom made decals and it worked flawlessly!!! Can't wait to get some of these projects finished to see the final results! Thanks again Dr. Cranky! :D

After watching the same video I ran out to get some as well. After 6 hours of riding my motorcycle around to different paint, auto supply and hardware stores I found it at a local paint store that I thought had gone out of buisness years ago 113 miles away. I got so excited to use it but it started to snow on me on my way home. 5 days later the snow stopped but the temps dropped to single digits and have stayed that way for the last 5 weels. Needless to say I am still quite excited to try this stuff and I am really glad to hear a report from you like this. Makes me feel it was worth going after.

After watching the same video I ran out to get some as well. After 6 hours of riding my motorcycle around to different paint, auto supply and hardware stores I found it at a local paint store that I thought had gone out of buisness years ago 113 miles away.

Wow! Now that's dedication to the hobby!

• 3 weeks later...

I have yet to use my can that I got but I did ask Dr. Cranky if he decants it and he said no. Streight from the can only. If he uses stuff like pearl powders or any kind of bling in his clear he uses Model Masters High Gloss Clear for the airbrush. So I will be spraying it from the can as well as soon as it warms up. Hope this info helps.

• 3 weeks later...

LOL you can spend a week watching his video then you want to run out get a kit and everything he uses tyo do one and then have to watch them all over again to figure out what would be the best way to go since there are so many ways to do the same thing. Lots of options for sure.