Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sneak peek .... Lindberg Charger Police Package

SteveG

EEEYYYOOOWWWW, Bob! UNMARKED Police cars are ILLEGAL in Georgia???!!!??? Yeeesh, Now there's a law I could live with! Around here, Our Allen Park Cops have Crown Vic's that are gloss black, with all the Police markings in a wierd reflective FLAT BLACK. So even though it LOOKS like an unmarked car, it isn't! An they ALL light up like that spaceship in "Close Encounters,,,,," Yeeesh! :)

George,

What Bob didn't say is the fact that many of the "marked" cars now have darned nearly undetectable markings; ie, Dark blue cars with

a barely lighter shade blue lettering, dark grey letters on a black car etc...

Will scare the stuff outta you when you realize there around!!!

Edited by camaroman

Here's a few more CHP pics for you...

Thanks Dave !!!

Your photos are always great, I have searched your Fotki albums on many occasions.

It's interesting, I've seen photos of about a dozen different CHP slicktop Chargers and this is the first one that I noticed where the paint appears to be Black Metallic instead of pure black. The Florida Highway Patrol Cars appear to be the same way.

There's a Flickr Photo Group dedicated to the Charger Police cars with over 400 photos that have been very helpful to me including more of the CHP cars.

Dodge Charger Police Cars

Also, here's the link to Dave's Fotki photo sharing site. If you've never checked it out your missing a lot !!!

SoCalCarCulture

-Steve

Ooooooooooooooh!!! That is gonna be great!! NJSP doesn't have any of these in livery service yet. But, we do have some super sneaky unmarked ones with the hubcaps and SXT badging!! No tint, no aerials!! Just the wigwags in the head and tails! Are they doing Philadelphia precinct decals too, or just the highway patrol? Thanks for the great info you've shared so far!! Howbout maybe some parts pack/decal sets? ;);)

Haha, when my little sister bought her 3.5l/Touring suspension equiped Charger SE last fall, Dad when to the dealer's web site so I could see that car and the first thing that came to mind is that it looked like an un-marked police car. We don't have very many Chargers around me as cruisers, mainly CV's and Explorers.

Here's my Sister's car for comparison :D

100_0754.jpg

I'n not a big fan of modern cars, but that's one I would like to build! I really like the intimidating looks, it has "I gonna get ya" written all over it. First one I saw was an Oklahoma Highway Patrol cruiser, and it was almost scary to see it in the rear view mirror... like an angry animal or something. :D

That's what I think every time I see my sister's from the front, or get one like her's behind me in traffic. IIRC that snarely look wasn't by accident though, probably did it to make up for the excessive number of doors :rolleyes:

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw the pre-painted one at my LHS the other day. Are they still planning on an all plastic kit?

The pre-painted kit is a metal body kit that has been out for quite some time now.

DSC00006-vi.jpg

The plastic kit is what we are waiting on.

Death, taxes, and major delays from Testors... three things you can count on in life. B)

• 1 year later...

Shut up no they aren't... :D

O.K. so maybe they are, but until I have one in my hands, and/or see one in someone elses hands here on the board I refuse to believe this myth, this legend is finally coming to fruition.

Wonder if this means I have to cover my pre-order on the case of Blank white ones... :D

Shut up no they aren't... :D

O.K. so maybe they are, but until I have one in my hands, and/or see one in someone elses hands here on the board I refuse to believe this myth, this legend is finally coming to fruition.

Wonder if this means I have to cover my pre-order on the case of Blank white ones... :D

A case at the current model prices geez. Hope you can take out a second mortgage.

Of course...as soon as the new 1:1 model arrives, a kit of the old one becomes available. Isn't that what always happens?

Lindberg's '97 Crown Vic, Revell's FWD Impala, now the Charger. Every one of them a "used car" replaced by a newer bodystyle by the time the kit hits the market.

The Charger kits were announced by Testors in July of '05 at the IPMS Nationals in Atlanta. At the time they mentioned a police version available "in about a year". When announced, the Testors rep at the show said the regular R/T and Daytona versions that had just been approved, would be on the market by Christmas that same year. I did the math in my head, on the shelf 5 months after starting from scratch... I knew they were absolutely full of it, a new kit never gets done that quickly, figured a year would be more like it, and of course it was...for the R/T and Daytona (nice kits when they finally hit). So they're only about 5 years late to the party with the police cruiser, having gone from a Testors box to Lindberg, having Chrysler go through three owners in the meantime. Cue the golf clap, we set a new world record! :D

That said, I love it! Charger & Magnum police cars look killer. Pick up some Revell Uptown Magnums if you want a base-model non-SRT Magnum to kitbash w/police parts. You'll have to add door handles.

As for the Lindberg police cars...ever skeptical, I'll believe 'em when I see 'em :D

I hedged my bets and picked up a diecast Testors Charger police car as an insurance policy, "just in case"...

They may be late to the party, but they are the ONLY source of current, state-of-the art equippage such as light bars, radios, laptops, prisoner seats (for the rear), MOPAR/Charger steelie 'cop wheels,' rear-view mirrors with integral emergency lights, and those new style pushbars!

Magnums, Chargers, 300s, Silverados, Tahoes, even late model CV PIs can all benefit from the parts in these kits.

Even more interesting is that the price is advertised at about $20* ... not much by today's standards.

*At least at certain suppliers.

I, too, staved off the hunger by purchasing a couple of the die cast kits. The parts are awesome.

Bring 'em on.

:)

Not only do they have all the modern high-tech cop goodies, but they're a fairly complete (read no snap-tite curbside here)kit too, the civi-versions were like 155 parts.

A case is 6 @ $20...$120 isn't going to break me, I spend more than that for food at truck stops during the week.