Model Cars Magazine Forum

1941 chevy pickup lowrider (Hell Train)PAINT TIME

Try candy red or brandy wine with some patterns done in gold and silver as your base :D .

Also instead of putting your hydros and batteries in the bed and making it look cluttered try putting them under the bed. Go get some angled styrine (the stuff theat looks like angle iron) and fab up your battery rack and hydro rack. That way it looks clean simple and perfect rather then cluttered. The only thing that will show is your hydraulic cylinders in the center of your bed :P

The bed I was thinking of flush mounting the amps and speakers, and making the inside of the box coffin shaped and then put the pumps and batteries in that coffin shaped area.

Try candy red or brandy wine with some patterns done in gold and silver as your base :) .

Also instead of putting your hydros and batteries in the bed and making it look cluttered try putting them under the bed. Go get some angled styrine (the stuff theat looks like angle iron) and fab up your battery rack and hydro rack. That way it looks clean simple and perfect rather then cluttered. The only thing that will show is your hydraulic cylinders in the center of your bed :D

DSCN1596.jpg

This is what I have planned for the bed, boxed in with a coffin shaped opening that will house the batteries and pumps, amps and speakers beside it. The opening will extend to the floor board of the bed to be 3d and in the sides of the opening can install other items like more amps and speakers or other stuff. I did it on another truck that i never finished and it was looking pretty good on that truck, should look good on this one. In fact using a coffin shaped opening could call this truck the grim reaper then.

Edited by Darren B

DSCN1596.jpg

This is what I have planned for the bed, boxed in with a coffin shaped opening that will house the batteries and pumps, amps and speakers beside it. The opening will extend to the floor board of the bed to be 3d and in the sides of the opening can install other items like more amps and speakers or other stuff. I did it on another truck that i never finished and it was looking pretty good on that truck, should look good on this one. In fact using a coffin shaped opening could call this truck the grim reaper then.

this is looking real nice sir. im loving the idea you have going for the bed. cant wait to see this thing finished

To go along with the "Grim Reaper" theme, lay down a dark charcoal metallic, & then a transparent "Candy" red, you'll get a very deep "Old Blood" candy red that will come alive along the highlights.

I like that idea with the dark charcoal metallic as a base that could be used and then airbrush skulls and other reaper type images on the charcoal in a lighter color like silver that would show thru the transparent candy red for ghost patterns that works, i like it. Ill have to work something out like that maybe on the fenders and running boards is what I had in mind for that, then on the bed and body could do a contrasting color to set it all off! Have to wait on that any way too cold to paint here till bout march, but that will give me time to work out some kind of lowrider suspension and how im gonna make it all come together. That's my next hurdle getting it to sit right.

Edited by Darren B

Yes, yes, more, more . . . this one is looking good. I can't wait to see it painted.

I would love to see how you would have painted this one. If I had the money and you would do It I would ship it to you for a Cranky 1 of a kind paint job. You would do this thing justice on the paint. I am a long way from paint i'm afraid, my next biggest thing is getting the door panels figured out and what Im gonna do on the interior to match the style of the bed and a reaper/gothic/halloween style build.

Edited by Darren B

• 3 weeks later...

Still swamped at work however had a few hours last night to work on this little truck. I lent out my good camera so I had to take my pics outside with my back up camera as it does better outside by the garden.

IM009007.jpg

Started to work on the interior door panels.

IM009002.jpg

IM009004.jpg

Finally boxed in the bed coffin shaped bed cover.

IM009005.jpg

Someone on this or another forum gave me an idea to put all the hydros and pumps under the bed to make a cleaner install, so that is what I am going to do. Made some battery shelves for two batteries and the pumps will be behind the axle. All plumbed and wired and working on the hydro cylinders right now.

IM009006.jpg

and I am going to hinge the bed so that it will raise up and move to the rear so all this work is not hidden when it is finished.

Edited by Darren B

Not much done but did get some work on the chassis, added the trays for the batteries, a brace for the hydro pumps, and decided to use the front suspension as not sure how I would adjust it custom like. May add some hydro cylinders to the front anyway to match the back.

IM009026.jpg

IM009027.jpg

IM009028.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I built a similar style seat once. I used the foam filled poster board from micheals and used bmf as the mirrors. recently saw the tuturial on here for tufted interior, so I would use that if I did another one. let me know if you need a better explanation.

I built a similar style seat once. I used the foam filled poster board from micheals and used bmf as the mirrors. recently saw the tuturial on here for tufted interior, so I would use that if I did another one. let me know if you need a better explanation.

Thanks Ray, was thinking originally of using sheet plastic to cut the cross backs to shape but worried in scale that they would be to fragile. I may still try to make one as close as possible as Im finding out that the ones I have in the pic are too big. by the time that I do the door paneling they may rub on each other or the doors. but also thinking of just using one seat and centering it in the middle kinda like a cyclops. but will see.

Edited by Darren B

you could use styrene also just put on multi layers one at a time . makes the curved back easier. I like the idea you used but would maybe find smaller peices for the backs. crafts stores have alot of those kinds of things in the scrapbook aisle. if you find a thinner one you might even be able to curve them.