Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Bad drivers. I'm driving down Baseline here in Az. Speed limit on this section is 45mph. I'm doing 45 and the road is mostly empty. Nobody in front of me or in back for a half mile. Anyway, here comes this fool pulling out of a side road in front of me and he dies. I mean hes going like 20. Lucky I saw him and he didn't even stop at the sign before he pulled out. It was a close one I'll tell you. Why this fool didn't wait till I passed I don't know. He had a clear road after I would have passed. I will tell you, there are some bad drivers out here in the Phoenix area.

This is a daily occurance here in MPLS.

It irks me that the "irks" thread contiues to grow while the "positive" one kind of got lost and is filled with mostly sarcastic comments.

C'mon people, nothing to be grateful for and so much to complain about? I just got back from a work trip and I was overjoyed to see my wife and kids (and dogs), to come home to, well, a home. My heat is working, which is nice…Fall colors are beautiful right now…I have a relatively open weekend - model time!!!

If you look for "irks", you know what? You find them!!

I take offense to your statement, Pete. I've been riding since i was a little kid and the best people I ever rode with are those on Harley's - especially those that are used to group rides. Crotch rocket riders are a whole different story. I won't give you 2 cents for any one of them.

Jim, I did not say all bike riders. I would never paint that large of a swath with any group. I pretty much limited it to the young bikers with no sense and more bike than they should have. I got my first bike in 1966 and I had my share of close calls because of the way I rode it.

The day doesn't seem to go by out here in So Cal that I don't see some young jerk go blasting down the freeway and splitting lanes or popping a wheelie on the freeway at 5 pm in dense traffic. This is much more common than young idiots in fast car,s though they are out there too. The bikers doing that just seem to be more prevalent on the freeways of SoCal. There are certainly a large number of well mannered people on motorcycles out there being unobtrusive and riding well.

Edited by Pete J.

I used to work with a guy that had handicap plates on his truck. If/when he was somewhere and noticed illegal handicap parking, he would pull his truck behind the vehicle so it couldn't get out. Then he would call the police to issue a citation and demand that the cop call a tow truck for removal. Many time the owner would come out of the store before the cops and tow truck arrived. Paul would refuse to move.

Yeah, that's called "False Imprisonment" and it's highly illegal, more so than just being a jerk and parking in a handicapped spot. He has no right to restrain someone from moving their car , 2 wrongs don't make a right ...

Mysterious car stalling continues. The sad thing was I was on my way to pick up the part when it quit completely.

I ended up having to leave the car and walk home (about 1-1/4 miles) and waited for Dad to get home. By that point, the supsected electronics would've cooled enough that I could re-start the car; as it happened, I was going to need a jump-start anyway, as the repeated efforts to re-start the car (and the couple of times I actually managed to get it running) drained out the battery.

So I walk back home, wait for Dad to get back. The police call. This was a little before 9:00 last night.

Approximate sequence of events:

"What're you doing?"

"Waiting for my father to get home, which should be shortly, and we're going to go back and attempt to jump the car." Wait for dispatch to talk to lieutennant.

"The lieutennant doesn't want to wait."

"Okay, I'll call Land's (local tow service), and have them come and get it."

"They're our default shop, we can call them."

"Why, so they can charge me extra?"

(my emphasis) "No sir, it's the same price" (first time I EVER heard of a police and self-placed tow call being the same price).

"Oh, okay, go ahead and call them. The car is locked and I have the key with me. See if they can stop by the house so I can go over and unlock the car and it can be moved safely. You can tow it back here, I have a pretty good idea of what we think broke, and I was actually on my way to get the part when it quit."

"Okay, I'll let them know."

Five minutes later, tow truck shows up, I'm on the way over. I talk about my suspected issue (thanks to Dave Isle (MNwildpunk) here for putting me wise to it), with the driver and the two suspected parts. He agrees with Dave's assessment. We load the car. The patrolman on scene was a nice guy- very personable. Car loaded. Home again, home again jiggity-jig...

Upon arrival, I said to the driver "now the dispatcher from the police tells me this is the same amount of money regardless of whether they or I called."

"Nope. You call us, in-town service is $75, doesn't matter if it's move the car next door or to the other side of town. They call, it's $90." (Again, emphasis mine).

And the Marlborough Police wonders why it doesn't have my vote of confidence- or the vote of confidence of a lot of people?

A letter of complaint will be sent to the chief.

Charlie Larkin

Got up to find the Sunday paper was missing the comics section. Now this may not be a big deal to some, but I like to read them before digesting all of the news that is good or bad after. It brightens my day. Instead I got a double insert of the variety pages(crossword), and another load of store ad's, and flyers which I seldom look at.

This is a daily occurance here in MPLS.

Yep I gotta agree with you about Mpls. Driving truck through there is a real joy. People get on from the ramp, go all the way across3 lanes to the fast lane ten cut back of at the next exit. I would rather drive my rig in Chicago, than Mpls. That is why I retired from trucking.

Oh I will admit there is a lot of bad truck drivers out there also that shouldnt be behind the wheel.

Edited by Mercman

The guy (cough, cough) "working" on my pickup. He told me he finally got the frame work done (extending Ranger supercab frame and putting a long bed on it). I drove there today with a buddy. Not only has nothing been done, the bed is full of old tires and car parts. We're going back next weekend to get it. He promises it will be done, but his word is worthless. If the work is not done, I'll take it home and take him to court.

post-636-0-12102000-1382913490_thumb.jpg

Edited by LDO

This didn't irk me today specifically, but it happens so often I have to wonder what the "bleep" is going on...

I'm driving down the road, and there's some guy (or girl) sitting on a side street waiting to pull out onto the main road. I'm several hundred yards away, so the person has plenty of time to pull out onto the street before I get there.

But they sit. And I get closer. And they're still sitting. And I get closer. And I get so close that I think, well, obviously he (she?) is waiting until I pass.

Now I'm just yards from the cross street, and NOW they decide to pull out right in front of an oncoming car (me!). And to double my pleasure, they decide that 20 MPH is a good speed.

This has happened to me so many times I have to wonder what's going on? :wacko:

And to add to that story...

Same thing, but there's nobody behind me as far as the eye can see... yet instead of waiting for me to pass, they pull out right in front of me.

What is wrong with people?

I see this same stuff almost evertime I take my truck out of the garage. People (some) just don't know how to drive anymore. Courtesy is also something that you don't see too often anymore.

I've had that happen a couple times lately too Harry, the "driver" that did it to me on Rt. 38 yesterday instead of staying in the slow lane, joined me in the passing late, while maintaining that extra low speed.

Got a new one though.

My store is in the same strip mall as an Enterprise RentACar and they have about a dozen Chevy Express and Ford Econoline 15 passenger vans. Lately they have been parking the vans directly in front of my store and taking up all but the handicap spots. The store owner went to talk to them on it Friday, and all it got was another van added to the current row of vans today. There's plenty of parking elseware in the lot (the mall is half empty) as well as behind it, so there is no reason to dock the fleet where our customers could use it.

I've had that happen a couple times lately too Harry, the "driver" that did it to me on Rt. 38 yesterday instead of staying in the slow lane, joined me in the passing late, while maintaining that extra low speed.

Got a new one though.

My store is in the same strip mall as an Enterprise RentACar and they have about a dozen Chevy Express and Ford Econoline 15 passenger vans. Lately they have been parking the vans directly in front of my store and taking up all but the handicap spots. The store owner went to talk to them on it Friday, and all it got was another van added to the current row of vans today. There's plenty of parking elseware in the lot (the mall is half empty) as well as behind it, so there is no reason to dock the fleet where our customers could use it.

I'd call Enterprise Corporate and file a complaint with them.

Or the police and request a tow....

Charlie Larkin

This didn't irk me today specifically, but it happens so often I have to wonder what the "bleep" is going on...

I'm driving down the road, and there's some guy (or girl) sitting on a side street waiting to pull out onto the main road. I'm several hundred yards away, so the person has plenty of time to pull out onto the street before I get there.

But they sit. And I get closer. And they're still sitting. And I get closer. And I get so close that I think, well, obviously he (she?) is waiting until I pass.

Now I'm just yards from the cross street, and NOW they decide to pull out right in front of an oncoming car (me!). And to double my pleasure, they decide that 20 MPH is a good speed.

This has happened to me so many times I have to wonder what's going on? :wacko:

Yes, this happens nearly EVERY day to me, and I am not exagerating.

Maybe they are procrastinating or busy on their phone and then notice traffic coming...or they fear pulling out in on an empty road. ;)

My guess is busy on the phone. Probably texting. Jeez, who's bright idea was that? Everybody knows that when somebody is on the phone they're thinking of the conversation and not paying any attention to what's going on around them, so what do the phone manufacturers do? They bring out text messaging! Now cell phone users not only don't pay attention to their surroundings, but they don't even LOOK at what's going on around them anymore either. I sometimes have to wonder if the phone companies are trying to speed up natural selection.

Gotta love the day shift vs. night shift wars. Night shift has to do EVERYBODY'S work and then gets jammed up when everything isn't perfect for day turn. Changing jobs isn't going to help unless it's to someplace that closes at 5pm. Because this battle royale is universal.

The last place I worked that had a real split shift system, the day shift drivers felt they were special because they saw the sunlight. Forever late to jobs, late FROM jobs making night shift scramble for equipment, when they did show up trucks were out of fuel, low on fluids, had flats/mechanical issues, out of DEF, full of trash, etc. If we did shift change on site they'd howl like babies if night shift wasn't there precisely at 6pm, but they'd show up to relieve us at 8am-ish cause they'd stop and eat breakfast ON THE CLOCK.

It led to the point of near fist fights before corporate fired the local management and pulled the day shift aside sand pointed out the reason they were on days wasn't because they were special, but because they were all newly minted CDL holders and they managed to run over/onto/into enough things when they could see where they were going...they were terrified to let them operate in the dark.

Amen. :D

This one just drives me daffy. Here it is on a post it stuck to a model I got at a swap meet. I've seen it on the boards and other places.... how many years have you been awake in America? It's $5 not 5$ !

You can add...:

'69 = 1969

69' = 69 feet