Model Cars Magazine Forum

Freightliner, Finally Got it to Sit Level....Page 3

Thanks, Guys, on your wonderful and helpful comments.....I, actually found that it's the ladders that are touching the tires, keeping it from sitting all the way....I already lowered the gear shift tower, and discovered the real problem.....I'll have to move the ladders back, somehow, but I'm ready to move on, so, I'm not sure when, if I ever get to that.....

nice truck i see what you mean about the ladders it almost looks to me that maybe they are backwards The back side towards the tandems looks like its angled more to clear the front tire .just tryen to help out

That's just it....Per the instructions, that's where they're supposed to be.....And, it seems, every 1:1 Freightliner I see don't even use these ladders.....One day I'll get around to modifying them....But I'll have to be REALLY bored.... ;)

Edited by kilrathy10

• 3 weeks later...

JT, Looks great with the bullrack on! I have built about 15 of these over almost 40 years of glue sniffing, finger cutting fun, and you got the ladders right. The problem with this kit is the front axle is to far to the rear. Put the alignment tab on the axle in front of the forward alignment block on the spring, and that problem is solved. To make the wheelwell correct, you need to remove 3mm of material from the front, measured at the very corner of the cab. The oldest pic i can find on the net is 1969 for the three step ladder, the newest is '71 maybe '72.post-11762-0-36876900-1385245257_thumb.jpost-11762-0-35909700-1385245356_thumb.j

Think nothing of it, JT. It makes th build so much more enjoyable. I am almost ready to post some pics of a 104 BBC I am working on. Watch the on the work bench section and I will show photos of what I am describing. I think you will like this truck, CMT photo etch grille, emblems, etc... Detroit Sliver 92 with corrected valve cover, 220" streched wheelbase. Let me know what you think. Should be there next week or two. Here is a pic of a realigned and shaved WFL.post-11762-0-90087200-1385256151_thumb.j

Keep up the good work,

Mark

Edited by purepmd

Think nothing of it, JT. It makes th build so much more enjoyable. I am almost ready to post some pics of a 104 BBC I am working on. Watch the on the work bench section and I will show photos of what I am describing. I think you will like this truck, CMT photo etch grille, emblems, etc... Detroit Sliver 92 with corrected valve cover, 220" streched wheelbase. Let me know what you think. Should be there next week or two. Here is a pic of a realigned and shaved WFL.attachicon.gif100_0337.JPG

Keep up the good work,

Mark

Stretch??? Did you say, Stretch??? I like it already....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Got it to sit level, finally....All I can say is, YAAAAAYYY!!!!! I figured it out....After taking a flashlight to it, underneath, I found the shift tower was back too far.....I worked to get it to fit for a while, but I finally did away with it, all together.....That worked, quite well :D....I figure it will never go to contest, anyway, and it was bugging me every time I walked into the garage: so I figured this was my best option....I can live without the shift tower, but it's not setting right was driving me NUTS....THIS I can live with....

0011024x636_zps6239f7fe.jpg

0081024x588_zps4509d836.jpg

0121024x686_zps7eb87c93.jpg

0211024x768_zps77fd13dc.jpg

0271024x559_zpsb6e3c669.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

That looks awesome with the Wilson Trailer. I sure would hate to drop the coin to fill those fuel tanks.

I did not attach the shift tower on mine till the last step. After the cab was mounted I taped the assembly to the bottom of the floor , lowered the cab . Grabbed a small paintbrush with a small amount of liquid cement and attached it to the frame mount. Perfect lineup and fit. Used a pair of tweezers to remove the helper tape and all was good.

I got most of it done, yesterday, but I can't get the cab to sit level....I'm just gonna have to leave it alone....I'll just mess around and break something, so I guess this is what it's gonna look like....I still have to make lines for it and a few other things, but this is the jist of it....

148a_zps74ddcfb5.jpg

146a_zpsa12279fb.jpg

143a_zpsc7d9f94b.jpg

138a_zpsdd90e49e.jpg

136a_zps98d6ab5d.jpg

134a_zpsc1001602.jpg

130a_zps751da415.jpg

JT,

Looks good! Good old AMT kits, the cab never fits right on these. I made one into a day cab and found it to actually sit level. Still a good kit and great looking truck when completed.

• 1 month later...