Model Cars Magazine Forum

trumpeter kit PE question

I have a trumpeter 60 Bonnie conv. that I am working on.. i know there are several of you guys out there that have done this kit and I am hoping that you can lend me a hand. I have a question regarding the PE, that comes with the kit, for making the hood hinges. According to the instructions. it says to join the two parts (or three...) with the brass wire provided. Then, to lock the pieces together, you are supposed to mash the ends of the wire .

PE-hinge.jpg

My question is... How do I mash the ends of the wire? Or are there any alternatives to this method? Any advice would be very appreciated. I'm trying to get this done for my Dad by Christmas, and I am quickly running short on time..

thanks-epi

I would place one end of the brass rod on a very hard surface (steel plate, anvil, etc.) then give the other end a whack.

I also wonder if using a centerpunch would work, too. You'd really need to make sure it's centered, but I bet the centerpunch would mushroom the end of the brass rod very nicely.

Easier to use aluminum rod. It's much softer than brass and will be easier to "mash" the ends. But don't be disappointed when you find that the hinges don't really work. They're very fragile, and even if you manage to get them put together, odds are they won't work very well or for very long before breaking.

Easier to use aluminum rod. It's much softer than brass and will be easier to "mash" the ends. But don't be disappointed when you find that the hinges don't really work. They're very fragile, and even if you manage to get them put together, odds are they won't work very well or for very long before breaking.

So do you think I should just use the optional molded plastic hinges instead?