Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where Were You In ......72?

novadose71

Every year our club builds a display to go with the theme at the Milwaukee NNL. This was ours two years ago. Around 6 months to build. About 4x7, all buildings(each member built one,mostly at home), gas pump islands,power poles, traffic lights, signs, etc., were scratchbuilt, several vehicles built and some old builds that fit in with the times tossed in, modified figures and detail items from anywhere we can find them, and several 8-10 hour Saturdays working on the base. I burnt out a bit on this one, but glad to be a part of it. Questions and comments welcome.

P1010784.jpg

P1010763.jpg

P1010800.jpg

P1010801.jpg

P1010724.jpg

P1010779.jpg

P1010759.jpg

Edited by novadose71

This time of the year in 1972 I was gettin' ready for my first taste of Junior High School! :lol: So all of those cars are very period correct for the era...........and I remember 'em all well!

I have to say that is one of the neatest Dio's I've ever seen! :lol: Ranks right up there with the "Skip's Drive In" Dio that was featured in Scale Auto back in the '80's.

Edited by MrObsessive

:huh: Wow!! Great Dio. The people really make it come to life. I really like the people in the buildings (like the one building a model). Nice looking buildings. That last pic looks real. Great job! I won't mention where I was then. :)

Great Work! I remember the gas lines of the early 70's, the price of 57.9 really was a looooong time ago. Was the Clark station scratch built? Very nice work, by the way I graduated high school in 72, had my first car a 72 Gremlin, I saw the billboard ad for a Gremlin in one of the scenes.

I too was in Jr High School in '72 and this dio is spot on except for one thing.... the girl in the window. No one sold panties or swimsuit bottoms like that in 1972! Check out the movie Alien and the bottoms that Sigourney Weaver were wearing at the end of the movie (Oh, you know what scene I am talking about!) are period correct for that hottie in the window....

Am I wrong? :)

Thanks for the comments guy's. I was born late 72, so I have little memory of this. Yes the Clark station was all scratched, pumps too, not by me though. Check out the scratchbuilt fluorescent lights. Same guy built the fire station, w/living quarters and a kitchen,dishes etc, wish I had some pics of that. And a yet to be discovered cutting edge panty designer lives above the bar, her time wouldn't come for ten years or so. :D The bar patrons don't seem to mind though.

0211build5.jpg

0211build4.jpg

awesome job..nova...i was getting married in 72...and just celebrated my 35th wedding anniversary last weekend so it was a memoriable yr for me...was driving a 63 split window vette...which i sold in 96 to buy my streetrod....thanks for the drive down memory lane and sharing ur diorama with me....neal

• 2 weeks later...

Wow i really dig this i was 4 years old in '72 and still riding around in the old torino countrysquire wagon the parents owned . the only thing is the radio station billboard the lil pic of KISS would be incorrect for the 1972 but otherwise this is one rockin diorama your club did a fantastic job.

Michael

Great job that brings back a lot of memories. In 72 I was 39, married with two sons, into water ski racing and using a 70 Ranchero to tow my ski boat. Retired from racing, swapped the 351 Cleveland in my car with the 427 medium riser (530 dyno HP) in my boat and went Corvette hunting. Loads of fun!!!!! He He He

Great build,, loved looking at all the cars of the time even the superfly caddie....I was married and in the army in 1972....and my daughter was born in 1972...........what a great year....in high school I worked part time at a Clark Gas station in Chgo were I grow up before moving to Iowa........thanks for the look back in time.......... :huh:

Edited by GMCMAN52