Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1973 Chevy Custom Van - Dirty Donny VANTASY

Anyone have pics of the content (other than body)? Curious how it compares to the A-Team issue or the older '70s issues as far as the wheel choices, etc.... still waiting on mine to ship...

With any luck it will come with the steelies and dog dishes, 5 spoke wheels like the box art and the A-Team turbines! With the exception of leaving out Mr. T and cleaning up the body tool, they could just do a straight parts or parts reissue of the A-Team van with that this kit's decal sheet and I would be happy. It would be nice to see this kit come back with all of the optional parts they offered over the years in one big box and an expanded decal sheet :D

With any luck it will come with the steelies and dog dishes, 5 spoke wheels like the box art and the A-Team turbines! With the exception of leaving out Mr. T and cleaning up the body tool, they could just do a straight parts or parts reissue of the A-Team van with that this kit's decal sheet and I would be happy. It would be nice to see this kit come back with all of the optional parts they offered over the years in one big box and an expanded decal sheet :D

On one of the boards someone said AMT had backdated the body the '71-72 style, undid the A-Team changes (rear license plate location, sunroof, side badges)..

This is a picture of the just-released kit, correct?

Are my eyes correct seeing no roof rib detail on the AMT body? :huh: This kit has a smooth roof now? Or did it always? :blink:

Hmmm.... I seem to remember the '70s 'Kandy Van' version I built as a kid having a smooth roof. The A-Team version had a smooth roof w/ a sunroof opening, IIRC...

Hmmm.... I seem to remember the '70s 'Kandy Van' version I built as a kid having a smooth roof. The A-Team version had a smooth roof w/ a sunroof opening, IIRC...

I've never build any variants of this kit, so I was just curious.

Fortunately, the GM full-size vans had raised roof ribs IIRC, so they are easy enough to add with some styrene strip if desired.

This is a picture of the just-released kit, correct?

Are my eyes correct seeing no roof rib detail on the AMT body? :huh: This kit has a smooth roof now? Or did it always? :blink:

It's smooth as a babies ass ( the roof ) , Thats my thread i posted on vannin I'm not at all happy with the kit , yeah if your in to decals and art work thats over the top how ever the box art shows a shorty and you get a long wheel base van . The tires are thin like a stock van . I bought four kits and brought three back the only reason i kept the one was because i opened it .

I think the AMT kit's body looks too bulbous, and rounded off in a lot of areas, but I'm no GM van expert.

I grew up with those (my folks bought a '78 and an '87 Beauville new and just scrapped the '87 back in '08) and I always thought that the AMT's looked about right. I showed that picture to my Dad and he didn't think the Revell kit looked all that right either, but all the custom goodies might help hide what doesn't look right. They were pretty rounded, especially in comparison to the Ecnolines l, the flat nose vans that came before and body on frame onesnthat have come since.

Edited by Joe Handley

Picked up one today at a LHS...(still waiting on the one I ordered). Nice..reminds me a lot of the Kandy Van version I built as a kid 33 years ago...has the stock '71/72 body w/ trim, steelies and dds....I'll probably build one as a custom van (has portholes and skylights on the clear tree, roof wing, custom front end, wide 5 spoke wheels) w/ murals, one as a plain beater van, and one as a cut down for an motorhome conversion I've been wanting to do for a while...

I have one on order as I was in the Van parts manufacturing business. The first order of business will be to scratch build a replicia of one of my Birch wood snack trays . You betcha , sittin right up there holdin a java ! Ed Shaver

LONG LIVE SOUTHERN VAN COUNCIL MEMBERS - WHERE EVER YOU ARE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OH Scrubba sez,He loves ya too

Picked up one today at a LHS...(still waiting on the one I ordered). Nice..reminds me a lot of the Kandy Van version I built as a kid 33 years ago...has the stock '71/72 body w/ trim, steelies and dds....I'll probably build one as a custom van (has portholes and skylights on the clear tree, roof wing, custom front end, wide 5 spoke wheels) w/ murals, one as a plain beater van, and one as a cut down for an motorhome conversion I've been wanting to do for a while...

Which custom front end? The original Vantasy had a forward leaning "grill" as well as the stock grill/bumper piece. Speaking o which, what A-Team van parts remain besides the wing?

Which custom front end? The original Vantasy had a forward leaning "grill" as well as the stock grill/bumper piece. Speaking o which, what A-Team van parts remain besides the wing?

The custom front end in this issue is unchromed, a one piece recessed tube-style grille w/ a custom roll pan where the bumper would be w/ two small slots on the right and left side of the pan. Also has an optional sun roof, rear louvers, chrome side pipes and plastic side sills w/ exhaust cut outs..not sure if there are any other A-Team parts included--the turbine wheels and GMC grille aren't here.