Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro Touring 70 1/2 Camaro *First post here*

ll Brandon ll

AWWWWW MAN!!! I've had those problems too. I do love the car though, don't give up on it. I really like the fab work. The bodywork is killer too. What kit did the suspension components that weren't scratch built come from? That is exactly the look I need for the chassis on my Merc (49 Merc Extreme Custom). I'll be looking forward to seeing more progress. Hope you can get her ironed out.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, back from the dead. Ive done some work and got it somewhat back to good. I decided to redo the frame and Im much more satisfied with the results, tho getting there has been very frustrating. For every thing I redesigned, something wouldnt line up and that would have to be redesigned, which would then cause something else to not work. But, I got her there. And, imho, it came out alot better than before. I also wasnt happy with the interior tub I did, so I am gonna redo that too. Ive not gotten much done there, mostly in the design phase right now. Anyway, thats where Im at. New frame, new suspension, and new interior in the works. Ill get pics up tommorrow. I dont have any good lighting right now, so I wanted to wait.

Thanks dude. Im pretty happy with the result. The new frame seems to be so much straighter. I was working on the interior last night and everything is lining up alot better, Im not having to force things. Lesson learned. I guess sometimes having to start over may not always be a bad thing.

Great looking...very nice scratch building skill! Not sure what your plan was for that hood scoop, but maybe a tip of the hat to the ZR1 corvette and do some type of see through hood scoop, or a shaker style hole in the hood?

Ive not 100% decided yet, but that sounds like a pretty good idea. I might rough something out and see how it looks. I like the more hard angles, gives it a more aggressive look and that would fit the bill perfectly. Thanks for the comment and the suggestion.

The engineering work on the frame alone is major modeling effort..... very nice work here..... welcome and thanks for sharing.... hope to see more of this soon...

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

Thank you. Yes, it was a pretty big undertaking for me, it was my first time building one and when I decided to go that route, I honestly didnt think it through or I might not have went this deep into it. I didnt think about having to do the interior from scratch and things like that. When I had to start over, I was almost upset enough to trash the model but Im glad I didnt. I took what I learned from the first frame, some inspiration from some builders on here (Psychographic's front subframe), and I really think the result was worth starting over.

That said, the work on the interior has started. The frame is pretty much done. Anyone have any suggestions for mounting options for the frame into the body? As always, comments and criticism is welcomed and appreciated.

Edited by ll Brandon ll

. I took what I learned from the first frame, some inspiration from some builders on here (Psychographic's front subframe), and I really think the result was worth starting over.

That said, the work on the interior has started. The frame is pretty much done. Anyone have any suggestions for mounting options for the frame into the body? As always, comments and criticism is welcomed and appreciated.

I get blamed for everything! :P

As for mounting the body, if you don't have the kit's floor/trunk or if it's part of the chassis, your going to have to make one, then you can mount your interior tub to the floor and your body to the interior. You could also make tabs on the inside of the body to mount to your floor/trunk.

This is my favorite Camaro body style, your doing a great job and I can't wait to see it finished.

Hey man, that thing is looking better and better the 2nd time around. Sucks you had to re due it all but it looks well worth the trouble. Rather then lower the motor down, I too was going to suggest a shaker hood with that beautiful motor. All thou I really love the cowl hood you built for it the 1st time around, just went with the hard lines perfectly. I'm liking those mirrors as well.

I was also looking at the side view picture and thought it would look good if you were to fill the sides of the lower front spoiler like you did with the rear spoiler. Just a suggestion, anyways it's coming along real nice, keep it going. Can't wait to see it back in paint.

Ok, so update again. It seems like everytime I change something, even small stuff, I have to redesign all kinds of stuff. So, that said, the rear suspension wasnt right for the new chassis. Originally I tried to just swinging the shocks out a little but it killed the articulation. That and the mounts were too weak. So, I redesigned, and simplified, the mounts. Stronger and cleaner looking. Also got the interior scratched out. I plan to add door card detail and what not. I had to build an entire interior, dash and all. So, Ive got the dash scratched out, the gauge pod built (which Im very proud of). The best part was I think the decals for the original guages will be a perfect fit. I didnt bother to check before I started LOL. Anyway, ON TO THE PICS!!

Front subframe completed and assembled:

stp61498.jpg

stp61508.jpg

stp61509.jpg

Rear suspension redesign:

stp61513.jpg