Model Cars Magazine Forum

History of Monogram's Dodge Ramcharger

Fabrux

Do a search in the Under Glass section as I recall seeing at least two there in the last year or so.

I did and found them. I have searched many sites and have only found like 10 or so builds with pics! I know there are more out there!

• 2 years later...

After Revell's acquisition of Monogram, they decided to reissue the Ramcharger again in 1992.

Excellent kit history, as usual. Minor point, Monogram actually acquired Revell and joined it together with Monogram as a new, combined company operating out of the Chicago area Monogram facilities. The Monogram staff carried over into the new entity. I'm a little foggy on the exact details (not near my reference library right now), but this was the jest of the action.

Thanks again for the great kit history info...TIM

There seemed to be some interest in this kit, so I figured I would do this one next.

Monogram originally released the Dodge Ramcharger in 1980. The kit was molded in off-white, carried the stock number 2263, and depicted Dodge's new-for-1980 integrated roof model of the popular truck (prior to 1980 the roof was removable). This kit depicts a stock, four wheel drive model of the Ramcharger. Options include a CB radio/antenna and a roll bar. Wheels are 5-slot mags with Goodyear Tracker A-Ts.

Minor point but the 1980 vehicle as depicted in the kit still had a removable roof, 1981 was the first year for the one piece roof-

• 1 month later...

I've had all three of the releases too. I loved the "High-Roller" series.

Here's what survived;

The High Roller is now camo/black-out and the top removed.

The original issue was built box stock and is on the rebuild list.

The Bass Buster version got crazed plastic from too hot a primer and is now junk.

post-1766-0-85934900-1414459429_thumb.jp

post-1766-0-45184900-1414459461_thumb.jp

post-1766-0-98649900-1414459493_thumb.jp

I was 12 when the "Gone Fishin" set came out. I really wanted that Dodge Ram but I think it was right around $20 for the set compare to around $5 for a single kit. So a kid at my age, that was big bucks. For about a year I wanted that kit, waited til WalMart had a clearance and by that time they were all gone. Twentyish years later these kits seem to still have that "day late, dime" short with me.

Nice write up!

• 1 year later...

Excellent kit history, as usual. Minor point, Monogram actually acquired Revell and joined it together with Monogram as a new, combined company operating out of the Chicago area Monogram facilities. The Monogram staff carried over into the new entity. I'm a little foggy on the exact details (not near my reference library right now), but this was the jest of the action.

According to Wikipedia--

In 1986, Monogram was bought by Odyssey Partners of New York. Later that same summer, Odyssey purchased Revell Models of Venice, California. Subsequently Odyssey Partners merged Revell with Monogram and moved all its usable assets to Monogram's Des Plaines, Illinois Plant Number 2.[citation needed]After Revell was merged with Monogram, company headquarters was moved a short distance to Northbrook, Illinois.

• 1 year later...

I just picked up the latest reissue of this kit. If it weren't for it being only $6.50 at Hobby Lobby, I would have left it, I hate the 1980 Grill. I have been working with a guy here that has super skills with 3d modeling software, he is making a 1974 Dodge and 1974 Plymouth hood and grill. I need to get mine ordered and I will hopefully show it off soon. It will make these kits so much more attractive.