Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Jason.... thank you. I am hoping to get a little bench time in tonight. It may not be much time but will be starting on the dog house now that I have the dash location set.

Mike.... thank you for the encouraging words. I have to admit it give me that extra motivstion I need at times when I feel I am so.ehat burnt out in working on the same piece over and over it seems like.

Scott... thank you my friend. Those adjustments on the fly are the best...lol. The mid-plate fix was a big one that needed to be done. I am glad to have majority of it fixed other than I need to add some bondo and do the finishinf body work to it ao I can get some primer on it. Its a sense of relief now knowing that the little twist that the motor had is not fixed and it sits straight the way it should of been.

Well it feels like this body tin work has turned into a small project of its own. From when i originally started scrarch building it, i didnt think it would take this long but it will be nice when i can get it into primer. I will be focusing on it this week. I will start by working in the dog house as I mentioned above then i will have the dash blend into the body. I need to add the sight glasses in the firewall. Then i need to cut out and add the portion that will clear where the steering rod come thru. I think once i get all that done it, the fabrication may be close to being done on it. Then its just doing some of the body work and final sanding before shooting some primer on it.

Dave... Thank you Sir.

Well Fellas.... I did some more work last night just was a little tired to download the pics off my camera and post last night. I was working on the front windshield, drilling out the rivets and transferring the holes to the body for the Rivets. Once I got that done I started to make a make shift template for the dog house that goes around the blower. I still have to make it and starting to make this gage to figure out the size of things. Here are a few shots, I know this update isn't too exciting and hopefully I will have some better updates soon.

Here is the front windshield, I started by taking my xacto knife and cutting the rivet a little flat to give me starting point where to drill my holes and then I transferred them to the body and installed the rivets for fitment:

DP-Army-Vega5122-1_zps6a8c4499.jpg

DP-Army-Vega5124-1_zpsf2fd44b0.jpg

Inside of the body, I will have to go back and cut the length down on all of these rivets but it will be done at a later time:

DP-Army-Vega5127-1_zps0472bb44.jpg

Here is the start of what I am using as a gage/template for this dog house. I wanted to be able to get the fit right so that the lip on the dog house would meet up to the glass correct and since I couldn't really get a good way to get measurements so I started to build this as a starting point:

DP-Army-Vega5131-1_zps5ca702e2.jpg

That also looks tricky getting the windshield off with all the rivets holding it in place. Looks like if you pull it from one side to get it started, it could bend rivets on the opposite side. How do you manage that? Push it out from the inside by pushing the center of the glass?

Danno.... Thank you very much my friend.

Brad.... You are right that it has been tricky. for such a small part one would not think it would take this long...lol I almost have it done though. I am at the stage of fitting it and sand a little more fit sand fit sand....lol Pain in the butt..

Dave.... Yeah that can be tricky as well to get the windshield off too. I pull the rivets out one by one. I will start by pushing them from behind (from the inside) typically will try to get all of them from the inside first and then I go back and slowly pull them out. I have learned a few trick since I did the back windshield the same way.

Shaun.... Thank you sir for the kind comments.

Mark... Thank you very much. I know I have been spending a lot of time on this tin work for the body. but I think in the end it will all pay off...Hopefully...lol

Guys stay tuned I am downloading pics right now and will have some up in a few mins for an afternoon update to show where I am at with this.

Johnny .... Thanks my Big Brother!! I appreciate it!! :D

Ok so here are some pics to show my progress so far for the day. I am not done at the bench just yet for the day. Will be working pretty much the rest of the night on it hopefully. But after I post these pics its time to cook some dinner.

So I have started off by working more on my template piece trying to figure the right size for everything:

DP-Army-Vega5136-1_zpsb0ceccc9.jpg

DP-Army-Vega5138-1_zps8e716238.jpg

Test fitting it with the windshield in place:

DP-Army-Vega5140-1_zpsd8a083f1.jpg

So after I got my template made I decided to take some measurements of it and draw it up in Solidworks and print part of the drawing 1:1 that I could make my parts from it:

DP-Army-Vega5142-1_zps43c4ac79.jpg

Here are my main pieces to make the assembly. I had to glue 2 3 different sizes together because I didn't have the right size:

DP-Army-Vega5146-1_zps88dca2fe.jpg

More pics following....

Here is the part next to the make shift template I made up:

DP-Army-Vega5149-1_zps729fde86.jpg

Here is the underside of the Dog House:

DP-Army-Vega5150-1_zps7ed0a0fd.jpg

And as always I had to test fit it in place, Its not glued in yet but making the final fitments before I decided to pull the trigger and glue it permanently:

DP-Army-Vega5151-1_zps169d5a34.jpg

Opposite side:

DP-Army-Vega5154-1_zpsebb05df1.jpg

Well I am heading back to the bench. Hopefully I will have another update with pics for you later this evening.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Bob... Thank you very much. I enjoy showing my builds as a step by step process. if some one can use something that I have done I think that's great. I have learned many things from all of the builders here

Larry... Thank you.

Jason... Thank you so much. Its getting there....lol

Danno.... Thank you but not quite there yet. There are still a few more details to add to it and to work on the the dash

Here is an early morning update of what I finished last night. I still have more work to do but its getting closer to having this done. Here are a few more pics to share with you.

Here is the dog house glued to the dash:

DP-Army-Vega5155-1_zps9edc8e9c.jpg

Here is a front view of the dog house, I still need to sand and trim the dash back to the inside of the dog house to make it flush on the inside:

DP-Army-Vega5156-1_zps6154fc7c.jpg

Here is a back view. I think I may be adding a small rod (.020" or so) to use as a filler piece. and then I will be adding another filler piece that will go from the dash to the body to make a smooth transition there

DP-Army-Vega5157-1_zpsdc5340b3.jpg

Another view:

DP-Army-Vega5159-1_zps1065dccf.jpg

DP-Army-Vega5160-1_zpsa228be87.jpg

So I was able to get a little more done to the interior tin. I ended up adding some material to the tin work to blend it into the body with a smoother transition. It will still need some final sanding and bond but here is what it looks like:

I started out with some hex rod that was bent to shape to fit the body:

DP-Army-Vega5162-1_zps46d00c60.jpg

Did the same on the other side:

DP-Army-Vega5167-1_zpsca37b3c1.jpg

View from above:

DP-Army-Vega5168-1_zps68982f38.jpg

here is a side view with the tin into the body. It will look much better once I get some bondo on those pieces:

DP-Army-Vega5173-1_zpsfe0418bb.jpg