Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 Nomad Gasser

Raul_Perez

While I'm not very big on building resin kits, I must admit that the resin from Scale Modeling by Chris is excellent stuff. No cleanup or pinholes to deal with and the warpage was pretty minimal.

In the kit, the resin body and interior pan were made from altered versions of the AMT 55 Nomad parts. The chassis, suspension, engine and drivetrain kit parts are resin casts from the recent Model King release of the old AMT Chevy II Rat Packer kit. Since the chassis floor pan was much smaller in length and width than the Nomad body, I had to spend a bit of time building filler panels to make the model suit my needs. I also added support rods from the firewall down to the front of the chassis that helped stiffen up the front end.

I added the machined Moon tank, parachute pack and cabling, machined tachometer, hood pin kit, machined blower pulleys and blower belt. I didn't like the way the front suspension sat with the kit parts, so I built a new axle and leaf spring assembly from brass stock.

All of the decals were from the kit. They were easy to apply, very thin with great color and registration. One coat of clear and a light color sanding covered the edges of the decals completely. I used an opaque white marker for the "A/FX" markings on the side windows and the time stamp in the windshield.

DSC03248-vi.jpg

DSC03249-vi.jpg

DSC03270-vi.jpg

DSC03255-vi.jpg

DSC03264-vi.jpg

DSC03268-vi.jpg

It looks pretty good sitting next to my Daddy Warbucks A/FX Falcon...