Model Cars Magazine Forum

---> MPC's 1971 Road Runner

1972coronet

2 completly different toolings the 74 GTX was out in 74 then again in 83,then sold in the AMT box a few years ago also in the checker board style box by AMT,then it was re decaled back in a MPC box and was Daisy's Road Runner,then the collector tin

imagesCAGI4QIN_zps3a974676.jpg

AMT203815720GTX1974_zps5ddeb1dc.jpg

the 71 Road Runner was last out in 87 so I don't believe they would modify the 71 tooling to make the 74 RR since the 74 was already in the line recently

129294-11013_zpsaadf5aaa.jpg

Any of the about, love that body style. That body style was great, like the 72 better. As they called it at the time the Coke bottle body, narrow in the front wide at the rear. That was the best body styling for 71 & 72 of the big three, bar none! :D

I fully agree with the '72 as the better looking one...

8629_640062582681791_932568899_n.jpg

1010869_640062692681780_1113485585_n.jpg

I am not sure how they change the Roadrunner bodies, but the 1971 issue of the 1971 and the 1987 issue of the 1971 are not exactly the same. None of the re-issues have the Chrysler logo in the lower part of the right front fender. In addition, the side marker lights are a bit different too.

It might be interesting if the did a reto box of the mid year MPC kit of the '71 GTX.

I happen to have both issues and Bob is right. The 1971 issue has slight differences in all the emblems front and rear, the marker lights are different too. Even the door handles and locks have differences. I knew the original issue has 1971 cast into the front valance and the latter issue does not. What did surprise me is the original issue hood does not have the cowl vent near the windshield or any detail on the underside. I'm sure they had to backdate the tooling to 71 after modifying the tooling to issue the 72.

I happen to have both issues and Bob is right. The 1971 issue has slight differences in all the emblems front and rear, the marker lights are different too. Even the door handles and locks have differences. I knew the original issue has 1971 cast into the front valance and the latter issue does not. What did surprise me is the original issue hood does not have the cowl vent near the windshield or any detail on the underside. I'm sure they had to backdate the tooling to 71 after modifying the tooling to issue the 72.

I have no idea which was issued first , the GTX or the Road Runner (1971) . The 1972 annual had the 'standard' R.R. hood ; that tooling was modified for the 1973-1974 R.R. / GTX . I'm not sure when the NASCAR versions were produced .

The only version of the kit that I'm intimately familiar with is the 1987-issue , the yellow-coloured plastic version . It must've been modified tooling from the early 80's release of the 1974 GTX (moulded in red , and custom only parts).

My contention is that tooling for both the 1971 and the 1973-1974 bodies exist as separate entities . My only question is , Why would RC2 decide to issue the less-desirable '73-'74 if the 1971 body is still available ? Why would they back-up-date the kit to the latter years' tooling --complete with 1975-1978 chassis and dash board-- and pass on the 1971 model ?

I believe the order of issues was like this; 1971 annual Roadrunner (1971), 1971 mid year GTX (1971), 1972 Roadrunner annual (1972), 1972 Petty NASCAR (1972), 1972 Petty NASCAR (1973), 1973 Roadrunner (1973), 1974 Roadrunner (1974), 1974 GTX (1983), 1971 Roadrunner (1987), 1974 GTX Walmart (2003), 1974 daisy Duke (2009),1974 roadrunner (2012).

There may be two bodies; 1971-1972 and a 1973-1974. If that is true, then the 1972-73 NASCAR versions ruined the emblems and ERTL restored them in 1987.

I just compared some Roadrunner/GTX kits. The chrome tree is the same for all the kits. It appears that the glass is different from the '71 Roadrunner to the '74. The Frames (except a little lengthening on the '74) are all the same as is the engine. The original '74 Roadrunner has emblems, but the later one '74 like the Duke's, has none. If they did not revise the '74, why are the emblems gone?

I am thinking that the molding tool is modular. They insert and remove parts depending on the model year they want. That is my guess. maybe they may have lost the '71 inserts. I can't imagine a '74 selling better than a '71.

That's what I also think. The 71/72 turned into the NASCAR, for which they just needed the body, bumpers valance etc. Side markers, door handles and the like had to go and were restored on the yellow 1987 version. When the 73 RR annual came the chassis, engine and interior possibly were "free" to use, as the NASCAR didn't need them, hence the identical underbody parts of all years. If I remember correctly the dash of the 74 Roadrunner had changed to the 1975-78 versions as a result of retooling it to the later annuals and the four-door (Police)-versions. This is true to all versions of the 74 car starting with the 1983 issued model.

The 74 Charger has a similar history. The annual was turned into a NASCAR and again the body details were lost. Then around 1980 the red plastic version was issued for which side markers, door handles etc. had to be restored. That body still had the racing gas cap on the left quarter.

Edited by JS23U

• 6 months later...

Reviving this one yet again- to further confirm the earlier "suspicions" of the history of the '71-'72 body-

If you look very closely at the drivers side quarter ahead of the rear wheel opening you'll see a very slight "bulge" in the body on both the blue NASCAR version and yellow 1987 reissue '71 where the "Road Runner" emblem was on the '72 annual

The same basic chrome tree lasted all the way through the '78 Monaco annual with the nice Cragars

It is possible the insert for the '71-'72 body is gone. I see no other reason for the insistance of Round2 to keep bringing back the '73-'74 which were less popular and less options.

I just checked Google images Daisy Duke's Roadrunner and found a '71 Satellite as well as the '73-'74.

If they are hiding the 71-72, they are causing a lot of suspense.

Though I do like the '74 Roadrunner. I'd love to see a '72 Roadrunner model kit again. Always like the front grille better on the '72, than the '71. Plus '72 was the first year Plymouth offered the single four-barrel carbureted 440 engine in the Roadrunner. With that engine you got small GTX emblems (also true on '73 and '74 Road Runners too). Replacing the GTX as true model in the Plymouth lineup.

I know the odds are against see another '72. So I would be almost as happy if they would the last reissued MPC '71 Roadrunner kit.

As far as the missing Roadrunner emblems in the Daisy Duke version of the '74. I bought decals from Keith Marks up in Canada. Better decals, with the correct Roadrunner emblems. Plus the GTX emblem for the hood if your building a factory style 440 single four-barrel '74 Roadrunner like I did.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

I always thought the 71 was intact after the '87 release (In Yellow) I hope this is the case, and they can repop this one. It is a pretty nice kit, and the body could easily be mated up to some of the 71 charger running gear to make a nicer model. These were good looking cars right from the start. This is one of the few Round2 reissues that would pry my wallet open for multiple kits.