Model Cars Magazine Forum

Florida car/truck builders

• 2 weeks later...

Jim mentioned he is coming down to Tampa for the MAGS show on Oct. 15/16 at the SE Streetrod Nats. If anyone is planning on being here, there's some things you aughta know.

This show is different from most. It is in the vendors area of the car show. Every year the car show shrinks up the clubs space so table space is limited. The tables are laid out parking lot fashion. There's not much room to get in there and photograph with a lil tripod. Although they give no limit to the amount of entries, I'd bring no more than six of your best work. Also, you have to walk through the car show to get there, making transport of a large quantity of models problematic. Because this is in an area open to the public, your models will be surrounded by spoiled, over-indulged children and their inattentive parents all day, both days. However the MAGS guys are out in force with their friends and spouses too, keeping the grubby little hands away. I've not heard of an "incident" at this show, but be advised, the possibility exists. I'd try to keep your builds away from the edge of the table if possible. You gotta leave your models overnight. That's when they do the judging. The facility has a security guard overnight. The MAGS guys are excellent judges and great modelers. Be advised they do award their members awards. However I didn't see a MAGs member win an award for a model that wasn't deserving. It was a tough show. Lots of great builders.

I plan on being there. I hope to see you.

Hobby Lobby in Ocala, August - November, 1st Saturday, 10am. December we might hold a meeting in Orlando or Jacksonville.

Since we are having meetings in Winter Garden you are welcome to attend!

Since we are having meetings in Winter Garden you are welcome to attend!

Do not see a need for another meeting

It was great seeing you again, Fatkidd. Those seats covered in REAL leather are ultimate! Cleaning up your seats and disc brakes and will probably get molded tomorrow and the first castings Tuesday.

It was a pleasure meeting you, Brian. You build some extremely nice stuff. You must be right down the road from me. I'm only a couple of blocks from El Diablo golf course. If you ever want to get together, just holler.

Both of you, of course, are more than welcome to attend FAST meetings anytime. They'll be the 1st Saturday of the month at the Hobby Lobby in Ocala - except December because HL already had the room blocked (we're planning on someplace in Orlando) and it looks like February we'll hold our meeting at the JaxCon show.

I thought the meeting went very well guys. I really the enjoyed the laid back "atmosphere".......everyone seemed comfortable, relaxed and more than willing to share the skills and techniques they've picked up over time. Good stuff all around.

The models that the members displayed were all top notch and I really enjoyed the parking lot (guess I'll call it at least for now) swap meet. I picked up a few things myself and before the meeting started I sold a few resin Gibson engines that I had no use for. Perhaps we should make something like that an occasional part of our agenda?

I'm not saying a full blown retail price make a quick buck vendor stuff......just "hey I have this stuff, and I'd like to pass it on for a few bucks or trade for ........" get my drift?

I think I'm about the only large scale guy in the club so far and feeling a bit like the proverbial redheaded step child. However everyone made me feel welcome so it's going to take a little more than that to run me off.

Jim, you and the rest of the officers are doing a fantastic job putting this club together........my hat's off to you gentleman.......well done indeed!

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

We've had 2 meetings, Don and there was a parking lot flea market after both meetings. Who knows what'll happen after next month's meeting. I do have some older builds that I wouldn't mind trading 2 for 1 complete, unbuilt kits. Maybe we should bring a canopy so we can have more shade. Thank you for the compliment, Don, but I think it's mostly because we have a good group of talented people with diverse backgrounds that really care about our hobby - whatever the scale.

We had another member join and had 2 new people who didn't join - yet. Besides the people relatively local to Ocala, people drove from Safety Harbor, Orlando, and Jacksonville to attend the meeting. That's some decent travel time and we appreciate their support.

Hey Jim, sounds like the meeting was a success, again. Sorry that I couldn't attend this one as working in retail seldom ever gives me time off on a holiday weekend. Next month may be a tough one as well as the meeting falls on the weekend of the Modelpalooza IPMS show in Orlando. I plan on attending as many as possible and it looks like I need to start bringing some spending cash in the future as well.