Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 32 Ford "Deuce" 10/27/17 '59 Impala dash!

Foxer

I came into this build really late, as I could have saved you a lot of work on that SHO motor, waaaaay back when SCCA ran a truck series, Saleen Racing ran Ford Rangers with the SHO motor, connected to the stock, Ranger 5 speed trans, now for the work saving part, they somehow turned the intake plenums 180 degrees, with the intake portion facing front, I don't know if you can still find any pictures of these, but they look like they came from the factory that way, its a real shame Ford didn't pick up on it as an option, it would have definitely made for a real street sleeper.

I really like the suggestions of some form of black or gunmetal on the wheels. I did a crude Photoshop (I need to get back to refining my PS skills) but it shows the effect good enough. Now to go through my graphite and black paints to get the right ones that won't get lost against the tires. I'm thinking I'll use the same paint on the frame and some other selected parts.

I've had tan leather in my head all along for the interior but maybe gray should be considered.

Thanks for the suggestions!

PhotoBucket Logo of Death :

greywheelsDSC_1365_zpsb64b9702.jpg

Edited by Foxer

I came into this build really late, as I could have saved you a lot of work on that SHO motor, waaaaay back when SCCA ran a truck series, Saleen Racing ran Ford Rangers with the SHO motor, connected to the stock, Ranger 5 speed trans, now for the work saving part, they somehow turned the intake plenums 180 degrees, with the intake portion facing front, I don't know if you can still find any pictures of these, but they look like they came from the factory that way, its a real shame Ford didn't pick up on it as an option, it would have definitely made for a real street sleeper.

That's interesting about reversing the intake plenum ... it would have kept the air intake from burying itself in the firewall! It's probably too late to try it now, unfortunately. :(

• 1 month later...

Small update for 2014. I decided the hood needed to be hinged since it would look bare with just a bare hood removal. It ended up pretty simple by just drilling for a brass rod thru the fender base thru the lower hood. You can see the holes in the photo. I then inserted a brass tube thru the hood so a slightly bent pin would give some stiffness to the hinge. I had to sand the lower hood some to insure ground clearance when open and noticed the top needed some leveling also where the front track nose met the original hood. It looks like some thin strips will also be needed to narrow the gap at the body. All in all, I'm happy with how it all went together.

hood hinge DSC 1405

Now I need to figure how I will cap the rod ends where they show inside the fenders ... maybe a nut to hold and cap the rod. I'd appreciate any ideas as this will be highly visible from the front.

Edited by Foxer

Looking great, but I'm not sure it's going to look too menacing in red. I really like how you've done this and the amount of work you've put into it. It might be kind of late to mention, but I wonder if the trunk needs to extend down lower and be a bit longer, maybe with the license plate on the trunk when it lifts ?

Looking great, but I'm not sure it's going to look too menacing in red. I really like how you've done this and the amount of work you've put into it. It might be kind of late to mention, but I wonder if the trunk needs to extend down lower and be a bit longer, maybe with the license plate on the trunk when it lifts ?

I appreciate the your comments. I think the "menace" in red may take a hit, but a lot will depend on if I can get the right camera angle. I got convinced by others that it DID need something brighter than the Black I originally had in mind.

The rear end does end up with "panties" showing with the huge rear tires pushing it's skirt up! I'm painting the frame, rear end and all original chrome with Metalizer Gunmetal ... hopefully that will pull the back down a bit to the eye. I also had a thought about mudflaps, but that just doesn't seem right. I DO agree it needs something to pull the rear together ... maybe next mockup will give a hint of what it needs. I'm planning no bumpers at this point, but maybe there's something there to fool the eye.

• 1 month later...

It's been a couple months but a lot was going on here. I have been fine tuning things, as can be seen in the paint . ehhe. Got the wheels painted and mocked up in this one. Those tires sure fit tight ... the tops may just get sanded where you can't see in the end.

wheels DSC 1424

wheels DSC 1425

wheels DSC 1426

Edited by Foxer

• 3 years later...

I just switched all images to Fotki after Photobucket put a lock on them. I got all except some sketch I made and went pretty fast with a copy image / ctrl V.

Looking at the last pics The wheels just don't pop.

Any ideas for a better wheel color? ... darker?

I've looked at adding a 'chin spoiler' since the track nose was in place to tie the fenders together. So I glued a circular segment on, but had forgotten about the front hood hinge. You can see the hole for the brass pin in the side shot. I really like both the front hinge AND the chin spoiler but both can't co-exist. :(

I plan to cut the chin spoiler off, but before I do ... I'd like to ask for some opinions either way or some hinge that would work with the chin spoiler.

chin spoiler 1DSC 2294

chin spoiler DSC 2295

chin spoiler DSC 2296

Edited by Foxer

I think you can probably taper the edges of that chin piece so it molds into the fenders and the nose piece, then trim back the section under the nose until you reestablish the hinging function.

That would only leave about a 1/8" piece on each side. The nose has to rotate straight down to open, but even that could improve the fender ends with careful sculpting.

• 3 months later...

I had big masking problems on my '92 Crown Vic so going back to the Deuce.  I had the idea of putting my favorite dash of all time in, a '59 Impala! I actually bought a 1:1 '59 just because of the dash.

It needed narrowing, of course, and is going pretty well. I used the '32 dash as a base to attach to.Since I'm putting the Revell '32 interior panels it just made sense since they key everything in. The passenger side is all cut and ready but I want the glue on the gauge side to dry first. It looks like the '59 steering wheel will fit ok too!

59 Impala Dash DSC 2347

59 Impala Dash DSC 2341

59 Impala Dash DSC 2342

59 Impala Dash DSC 2346

59 Chevy Impala dash fbjpg

Edited by Foxer