Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salt Lake City Contest

bob paeth

I looked through the past postings on contests and didn't see this one mentioned so ...................................

The most prestigious contest you will ever attend is coming next May, in 2007. This is the Great Salt Lake International Model Car Contest. The talent you will see on display will "blow you away". You will see modelers and their models from as many as 25 states and maybe two or three foreign countries. This is not the biggest contest, usually there are around 350 models. But, the quality of the entrants is unsurpassed anywhere. And, whatsmore, the models are only part of the "scene". You will meet famous names that you have read about in the model magazines over the years. Naturally, I have no idea who will be there next year but names like Don Emmons, Pat Covert, Jarius Watson, Jesse "whats-his name" from Montana and several "boys" from the NNL West could be there. If it makes any difference, I will be there too. Mark Gustavson, the "head guru" of this event, makes sure that it runs very smoothly through out the weekend. I might make mention that this gathering of talent starts "to move" on Thursday afternoon and goes almost non-stop through the awards brunch on Sunday morning. Besides the usuall schmoozing among all of the atendees there will be seminars covering just about anything you can think of concerning model building. Subjects such as resin casting, painting, brass construction will probably be part of the itinerary. A visit to the Model Car Museum is a must. There you will see things that pertain to our hobby that you have never seen before. Things like prototype models ( 3 times size ) that the kit manufacturers used to develope the kits that we build. You will see, on display famous models such as "Dodge Fever" and the "MCS X-100" bubble top rod. You will spend an hour and come away enlightened as to how our hobby has developed over the years.

The commaraderie ( excuse spelling ) is the greatest you will find anywhere. This event is only held every other year so, try to plan on coming in 2007.

This, unfortunately, is not a cheap week-end. I have no idea as to the cost of transportation as everyone comes from a different location and using different modes of transportation. Car, bus, train or airplane are all a possibility. When you arrive, I have found that a budget of $500 is sufficient ( unless you eat steak and lobster at evry meal ). this $500 covers normal meals, awards brunch, registration, hotel room and maybe some purchases at the swap meet portion of this event. ( Almost forgot to mention the swap meet ) It is somewhat small in nature but has many desireable items. During the "meet" there will also be an auction featuring 100's of kits "on the block". Proceeds from this auction go to help fund the model car museum. That's about it, a week-end to remember. You have almost 5 months to save up your money,

Hi...Bob Paeth.. My name is Miguel Barbosa from Puerto Rico ,I did attend last GSL Salt lake City event (2005) do you remember the Caribbean Scale Auto Expo promotion table, that was me. It was a great event and a great weekend. As you say , maybe not the biggest show , but one of the best I have participated. The museum is awsom , good vendors as well and best of the best models. I would say Its a very busy event . I am very exited to be there, Mr. Mark Gustavson has invited me again to present another diorama seminar, this next GSL. Hope to see you there and just have fun............Barbo.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob, l think you have said it all. Like you said on this one, it's not the amount, if not the quality! For any serious modeler, this is a must. After had attend 8 different model car shows across the states, it's gonna be the first time I will repeat a show because, I consider that this have to be a "must" stop. I was there last year and I consider I learnt a lot on that trip. I already started to do some projects specially built for this show, a "real one".

I hope to see you there next may!

Simón P. Rivera Torres