Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Stopped by my LHS after work today, they had all the May Revell and AMT releases in...picked up the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and '13 Camaro ZL1 kits. They had 2 of the '90 Mustang LX kits, but they were held back for someone that preordered them...oh well..I have one on preorder from Model Roundup. Saw a 1:1 '13 Camaro ZL1 in orange on the street as I left the hobby shop.

They also had the 1/12th Tamiya Carrera GT--huge kit. Now if Tamiya would do a 1/12 917K, I'd be interested...

I got both of these in separate auctions last week on ebay and delivered this week for pretty cheap. I happened to be the only bidder on one. Anyway, the JoHan Chrysler Turbine is a complete vintage(pretty sure) full detail kit. There is no date on the box or instructions, but due to the box condition and yellowing instructions it appears to be an older kit. The second is the Doyusha '71 GTO, not '64(typo), and is an open box, but has all the sealed bags inside. I know it's not the best kit...it's a motorized kit and the interior is a sad representation, but if I do build it I can just build it with "blacked-out" glass. The body is pretty decent. Maybe build it with the Revell '72 Cutlass kit's chassis and AMT '72 GTO interior tub for the full detail? Not totally accurate, but it's better than nothing and the way it is now.IMG_3655_zpse56cbffc.jpg

Those Johan Chysler turbine kits are super in details and everything opens on it hood, doors and trunk and the body is also molded with a vinyl top which looks very realistic when painted. I don't know if yours is the reissue or not but I have four of these kits waiting to be built.

Mine are the original issues as each one of them are molded in white, bright blue, bronze, yellow, and a maroon..

Yes, they are nicely detailed but fragile. I have one that has sat unstarted for at least 15 years...not because I don't want to build it, but because it's just pushed down the list by too many "must do" projects. I had to get a second body from JoHan (or whoever made it at the time)

so it has extra parts/potential. I know I'll never get to it, but I was wanting to do the build because I thought the real car was interesting back in the 1960's. There was a "test" driver who had a bronze on for several months nearby and he came through town once in awhile. Very interesting car from the rear, but a bit like a Rambler American from the front.

Anyway, I suppose I should let mine go to someone who would actually build it...if anyone out there has a specific interest in doing this kit justice. :)

I picked up a couple of pieces in the last two weeks for future projects.

First off is a built up JoHan 1967 Cadillac Coupe deVille

DSCF3612_zps5ad9d064.jpg

DSCF3613_zps1a7f6788.jpg

It is unpainted, but glued pretty tight. The interior tub has melted the tulip panel, and the glass runners has melted grooves in the roof. It also has a ride height that is higher than my one--to-one pickup truck. Once I get it apart, I'll repair the roof and tulip panel, as well as fixing the dips in the trunk lid. It has not been sanded on, and I am quite sure I cam get it apart cleanly.

I have to do my research as to the color combination for this one. I plan to do a vinyl roof, and I am going to change out the Cragars for something better suited for this car. I am also going to bring it back down to earth.

I also picked an old F&F Resin 1972 Chevrolet Chevelle Station Wagon.

DSCF3548_zpse06dec67.jpg

Don't let the picture fool you. This boy needs a LOT of work. I am not going to build it, as it is not straight. However, I am going to use it as a guide to do my own wagon out of plastic. It is far easier for me to make one from scratch than to fix up this one. I am going to use the grille on a '72 Heavy Chevy project, and the wheel covers on a grocery getter '72 Nova or Chevelle Malibu project in the future.

I also picked an old F&F Resin 1972 Chevrolet Chevelle Station Wagon.

Ron that F&F wagon was originally a John Heyer piece (that's the version I have) and was part of the sale of that business from Heyer to Ed Fluck.

And what did I get today? Monday I stopped by my local hobby shop for some Evergreen clear sheets (they were out of them!) and picked up the new issue of Model Cars. Great issue! I skimmed it but haven't had the time to sit down and really read the articles just yet. I love the magazine especially since I know some of the authors and can hear their voices as I read the articles!

Edited by Tom Geiger

forgot this came today too from Micro Mark , a piece of mahogany , going to attempt a wood steering wheel

Anne, one of the aftermarket companies makes / did make a steering wheel with a wooden rim, already formed round. As someone else here said, the steering wheel on a 1:1 Corvette was plastic with wood grain on it. The kit wheel you already did a great job on is good 'enuf for me!

Anne, one of the aftermarket companies makes / did make a steering wheel with a wooden rim, already formed round. As someone else here said, the steering wheel on a 1:1 Corvette was plastic with wood grain on it. The kit wheel you already did a great job on is good 'enuf for me!

The company you are refering to is Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland.

Edited by JamesW

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...