Model Cars Magazine Forum

T600 A

TRaymo

I know this is not a new kit but can someone give me a lil run down on the amt t600. I just bought one on line and am wondering how the fit is and what kind of parts it comes with engine and trans. And what is the difference between the t600a and the canepa? Thanks

Fit is generally good overall- just make sure you install the dash tilted slightly forward, because it "fits" that way or vertically into the interior tub- when you get the kit and see the mounting surfaces you'll see what I mean. The engine is a Cummins NTA 370 with turbo, and the transmission is a Spicer with an auxillary box. The chassis from this is actually from a '70's AMT KW kit.

The Canepa version has different side skirts, and wheel covers which go over the plated Alcoa wheels used in both versions- I think the Canepa wheel covers are in the box in the regular version but not mentioned anywhere.

No, it's a 1970s Cummins that actually wasn't even available in the T600. About the only thing that is correct on this kit is the cab shell & the sleeper. Everything else either needs some correcting, or is completely wrong. The frame front end is for the W900, not the T600 (as mentioned earlier, & a resin correction is available from GW Trucks); the rear suspension should be replaced with the 8-bag suspension from the AMT K100 AeroDyne, the engine is about 20 years out of date and should be replaced with either a Detroit Diesel Series 60, Cummins N14, or Caterpiller 3406B or C. You should replace the transmission as well as the main with auxiliary that's in the kit is also out of date. The chrome grill should be stripped & molded into the hood as this was a single piece hood/grill unit on the T600.

I'm working on one now, and it's a challenge to make this kit correct. Good luck with your project, and may the Force be with you!

Thanks. I'm really only wanting the kit for the sleeper. I'm working on a 900L studio sleeper tri axle heavy haul truck. I'll prolly use the drivetrain from the kit in another truck. And use the cab for a big sleeper moving van truck. What kind of suspension does the kit have?

I'm working on one now, and it's a challenge to make this kit correct.

That's why I'm building this thing as a Large Car. B)

The kit has a leaf spring/walking beam setup out back, and the standard parallel leaf spring/solid axle setup up front. No brakes on the front axle if I recall- another clue to the '70's origin of the chassis.

Thanks. I'm really only wanting the kit for the sleeper. I'm working on a 900L studio sleeper tri axle heavy haul truck. I'll prolly use the drivetrain from the kit in another truck. And use the cab for a big sleeper moving van truck. What kind of suspension does the kit have?

The sleeper is decent if you are using it to make a W900L. I am almost done with a W900L right now (pictures are in the workbench section) where I used a Revell W900 snap kit frame, suspension, and cab with the T600 sleeper. I modified the front of the sleeper where it meets the cab to be a more modern style aerocab. I also had to modify the roof of the cab to give it the slant necessary. The cab on the T600 works well if you are going for the one-piece windshield model. The dash needs to be changed as well to update it.

Edited by KJ790

KJ, how did you update the dash? The one I'm working on is (hopefully) going to be a 1992-ish T600B.

If you are going for a 1992 model then the flat dash is fine. In the mid 90's (around 1995 I believe) kenworth switched to the easy-reach dash that wrapped the driver slightly better. Here is my modified dash for my W900L:

004_zps6c074bc2.jpg