Model Cars Magazine Forum

The GLUE BOMB Invitational.

DiscoSpud

The more the merrier guys.

As the rules stated, it had to start life as a glue bomb, paint bomb or beater, so you're all welcome to join. Mine's a hybrid of two glue bombs because I wanted to really challenge myself. So far it's been a pain just to strip off the hundreds of layers of paint!

hey i know one vehicle ill be restoring! (hint: add 2 cbp)

ill be restoring a 1978 chevy stepside p/u i found it in a "barn" wearing no paint but there is absolutly no rust on it at all!

so ill be pending on when i get it to look at it closer but i think i may just polish the chrome out alittle and paint it some color and get the drivetrain up and running and work on the enterior alittle it should be show ready! soon i hope!!! :P

guess what came in the mail today!-

DSCI0271.jpg

DSCI0272.jpg

DSCI0273.jpg

this is my resto canidite ! :lol:

comments and criticizm welcomed! :wub:

Edited by bandit1

Time for the next installment of the saga of my 1965 Corvair Corsa annual's restoration/transformation into a Monza:

Finally, it's in paint! This is a DupliColor spray job in a close approximation of the actual car's color which, in turn, was a respray in a close approximation to the car's original "Cypress Green". Notice that the model's original "Corsa" badges are long gone by this point in the restoration, replaced by homemade Monza "crosses". In 1965, these emblems were smaller and thicker than the ones used from 1966 through the end of production in 1969, so that's why these don't look like the ones you're familiar with from the AMT reissues of the '69 annual.

587.jpg

This shows how my body work turned out. Dark, shiny paint shows everything!

588.jpg

From the front 3/4. Notice the 1965 only Corvair emblem on the trunklid. This emblem moved down beside the driver's side headlights from 1966-69. (I promise she'll look better once I've added her chrome and pinstriping... )

594.jpg

Yes, I did say pinstriping. I worked as a pinstriper, going around to car dealers striping their inventories, so my car had to have a pinstripe too. 1:25 scale is too small for me to duplicate the double-line gold pinstripe I laid down on her so I'm making do with a single line.

597.jpg

The first attempt at the stripe was a little rough as you can see here, but a little thinner wiped it right off. I was more careful masking it the second time around and it came out a lot better. The top-of-the-line Corvair, the Corsa series, had it's taillight "Cove" panel painted silver to set it apart from the lower line 500 series and Monza cars. I liked the general effect, but I thought gold would work better on my dark green car. I know it looks kind of coppery in this photo, but I used Testor's Gold paint so you know what it actually looks like. Hopefully the photos of the finished model will show the color better. Notice, too, the air exhaust grille below where the bumper will be eventually: I had to modify the panel from it's configuration on the 1969 piece I grafted in because the 1965 (and only the 1965!) had two smaller grilles instead of one full width grille. This was actually easier than I was expecting - it only took about an hour of very careful filing and laying in a couple of small strips of plastic to form the inner edges of the new, smaller outlets.

598.jpg

well i finally got my truck broken down right now ill get pics up here after bit but i found something out thats neat!

there are some markings on it ill get pics of that as well but it says "gm.. 1977"

and the guy/kid that put it together must have ment for it either not come back apart or was a little glue crazy! :lol:

again ill get pics up here after bit!

well i finally got my truck broken down right now ill get pics up here after bit but i found something out thats neat!

there are some markings on it ill get pics of that as well but it says "gm.. 1977"

and the guy/kid that put it together must have ment for it either not come back apart or was a little glue crazy! :lol:

again ill get pics up here after bit!

ok heres the pics-

heres the body!

DSCI0275.jpg

drivetrain and wheels and tires !

DSCI0276.jpg

frame

DSCI0277.jpg

and it says the following markings

fundlimnesions (there marked on there like its old 60's styling!) DIV (I suppose it means "division") B)

GMFG 197 7

that is whats imprinted on the frame! maybe someone here with alittle more knowledge can help me figure it out! B)

Edited by bandit1

Fundimensions means it's an MPC kit. I had a '32 Ford sedan delivery that was an MPC kit and it had Fundimensions on the frame also. Don't really know exactly what it means though. I still have the box to that old kit around here somewhere. That will make a really nice little truck.

Fundimensions means it's an MPC kit. I had a '32 Ford sedan delivery that was an MPC kit and it had Fundimensions on the frame also. Don't really know exactly what it means though. I still have the box to that old kit around here somewhere. That will make a really nice little truck.

cool thanks plowboy! also it does have its share of inaccuracies such as whats holding the rear fenders on or are they just floating?

and little things that i think i can fix oh the last person that put the windsheild in must have been high on some drugs or something cause i pulled the window out and the cowl broke in 3 places it was so soft! lol got it fixed now needs some more work! :lol:

again thanks plowboy! B)

Fundimensions was a name used during the period of time when General Mills Fun Group (GMFG - yes, the cereal people) owned MPC (1970 to the end). Some of the older MPC boxes I have say MPC Fundimensions on the outside. They were big into toys at that time; you'll find a lot of toys (especially Star Wars) marked GMFG or G.M.F.G. I would imagine that 197 7 is the year with the final digit spaced weirdly, probably after the rollover from 1976.

Long story short, it's a 1977 MPC issue. Dunno what kit number or version.

Edited by SSNJim

Fundimensions was a name used during the period of time when General Mills Fun Group (GMFG - yes, the cereal people) owned MPC (1970 to the end). Some of the older MPC boxes I have say MPC Fundimensions on the outside. They were big into toys at that time; you'll find a lot of toys (especially Star Wars) marked GMFG or G.M.F.G. I would imagine that 197 7 is the year with the final digit spaced weirdly, probably after the rollover from 1976.

Long story short, it's a 1977 MPC issue. Dunno what kit number or version.

cool! :) i learned something new! i didnt know general mills owned mpc! thats some neat history thanks man! again cccccooooooooooooooollllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 B) B) B)

cool! :) i learned something new! i didnt know general mills owned mpc! thats some neat history thanks man! again cccccooooooooooooooollllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 B) B) B)

i just got the chassie in its chassie black color so now onto something else! on the kit!

:lol:

Sean, that's the original, first issue of the kit. Only 2 wheel drive version. All others after were 4X4s.

I have one in the works right now myself but I had to strip it and start over on mine.

AN ORIGINAL!!!! B) B) B) WOW!!! :lol::)

Pail- REALLY nice job on that Imperial.

Jim- I like the Corvair. Do you happen to have the Dupli-Color number for the paint you used?

Doug- Cool pick with the Sunliner. You even picked a color to match its name!

I've already done the stripping and repaint on the exterior, but I'll get in with a Jo-Han '61 Olds F-85. This car will probably not be "perfect." Honestly, it's a little too far gone for it to be that way.

This car will end up with the look of an older car that's been used, but hasn't been beaten too badly. Yeah, it could used a little freshening, but it's still presentable and solid. Someday, I'd like to grab another one of these and do a factory-fresh (or closer to it) car.

Pictures will developed and up sometime this week.

Charlie Larkin

Jim- I like the Corvair. Do you happen to have the Dupli-Color number for the paint you used?

I'll have to get back to you on that, Charlie. Once I use a spray can, it generally just gets stuck in a box with my other spray cans. I use a marker to write on the bottom of the can what color the can is, but I guess I should also note what model I used it on there too in case I want to use the exact same color again for a diferent project. I know, I ought to be more organized, but I have difficulty with things like that. A dozen or so cans accumulate on my paint table, and then they all go in the box (or back in the box) at the same time. That can should still be near the top of the pile!

Here is my entry into the "Glue Bomb Resto" CBP. It is a combinaton of two cars. I wanted to get finished with it really fast, but my mind kept telling me to go slow. The result is this, my most detailed build to date. BTW, this is my first BMF'ed build! :D My thanks go out to the following people.

Futurabat-Body

diyaramige-windshield (sorry if I spelled your name wrong)

MrScatPack- P/E Charger emblems and Hemi emblems (Still yet to arrive)

Anywho, on to the pictures!

106_0306.jpg

106_0307.jpg

106_0308.jpg

106_0309.jpg

106_0310.jpg

106_0311.jpg

106_0312.jpg

Thank You!

:angry: