Model Cars Magazine Forum

40 Ford hinge help please !

I'm doing a mild custom 40 Ford sedan delivery, I'd like to hinge the hood to flip forward, I have a couple ideas; but I'd appreciate any more input from those who may have tackled this already. Pics prefered, if possible ..... it seems a little more tricky than the average hinge; because of the pointed front area - thanks guys.

While the tutorial I posted was developed to do a flip-nose, the concept works equally well for a single panel, and the curved arms allow you to put the actual hinge-point just about anywhere. You can also reverse the concept, and put the hinge pin at the other end if necessary. One possible option on the '40 Ford might be to glue the grille to the hood, and hinge the hood-grille unit forward like the Fiat is done.

EVERY hinge job is going to require different geometry, but the issues you have to overcome are the same. The hinge arms you make (whether you use the old faithful wire-and-tube style most guys go for or make plastic ones) have to be curved to clear something, and they have to be accurate enough to return the panel to exactly the same position EVERY time.

You need to always keep in mind just exactly what will have to clear what as the hinge operates. Sometimes this can be difficult to visualize, so moving the parts relative to each other as you hold them (you become the temporary hinge), and / or making scale drawings works well.

The pointed nose of the '40 presents a unique challenge, but close-together hinge arms could work, if they're accurate and have very little slop in the hinge joint.

I made a reversed version of the hinges in the tutorial to do the decklid on this '32 Ford. As I said, the basic idea is adaptable to almost any situation.

DSCN7639.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Just the hood

OK. Here's a quick and dirty method I did on a '40 Ford coupe.

004_zps3fm76bmc.jpg

005_zpsiv57hucl.jpg

The brass rods still need to be trimmed at the rear to tuck them in tighter to the hood. But, you can get the concept.

012_zpsgqef7few.jpg