Model Cars Magazine Forum

chrome foil

I have never used chrome foil on any of my cars. I bought some but am almost afraid to try it for fear of messing up a paint job. If it goes on wrong can it be taken off and replaced with another piece, or am I just out of luck? Would really like to try it. Thanks for any help you can give. 8) :D

You can do it. Yes you can take it off if your not happy with it. You want to use NEW #11 blades for your cutting. I like to cut the strips nice and straight and put one edge right on the edge of the trim I'm foiling so I only have to trim one side. When you do the window frames start at the bottom so the seems will not show as much. You also want some Q-tips and some tooth picks with the picks sanded into chisels and other shapes like rounder off. You'll use the Q-tips and tooth picks to rub the foil down before you trim it. It's not as hard as it seems and the more you use it the easer it gets.

Mark

In addition to Mark's excellent tutorial, you can also buff out the foil w/the same compound you use to polish your paint (these days I use mostly Meguiars Scratch X). When properly applied, trimmed, and buffed it looks amazing. Make sure you treat the areas foiled just like painted/finished areas, don't forget to clean them up and make sure they are as smooth as possible as the foil will not hide any flaws underneath.

Don't be afraid of the foil, it's a pretty easy technique to pick up. Try it out on a scrap body or unpainted model first to see how it works, and then practice careful trimming. It's easier than the old standby of painting the chrome trim w/silver paint and a small brush. However you can touch up small areas w/a dot or two of Testors silver chrome trim paint or their silver lacquer-both are very bright.

You'd be better off spraying gloss black and then Alclad, OR polishing the metal over using bare metal on a set of slot car wheels. Yes, you COULD do it but your time could be better spent doing something else more productive... like trash pickup along the interstate or habitat for humanity!

In my humble opinion… of course!

8)

Which interstate was that? Thanks guys. I think now I put up my 50 year old silver paint brushes and try some foil. Will try some on an old body first as you suggest though. Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks? Whoops, I think I just left the door wide open. 8) :)