Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Cuda, all aluminum hemi

vintagedragfan

This is pure art! I was standing in my LHS yesterday looking at the brass selection thinking of this build and saying to myself "I can do that" then reality hit me. lol I left without brass.......this time! lol great work my friend.

lol Fred, don't get discouraged, jump on in and hang on, thanks so much

well I ran out of brass stock that I needed to move forward so I kinda had to put it on hold till I made a trip to the hobby shop, but I do have plenty of aluminum, so I decided to see if i could do some thing about the 3rd member, after a couple of hours later, this is what I came up with

IMG_1409-vi.jpgIMG_1411-vi.jpgIMG_1416-vi.jpgIMG_1417-vi.jpg

I still need to make a yoke and it will pretty much finished, thanks for looking!!

All i can say is WOW!

appreciate that Mikey, means alot

Geess Bill, That the best you can do? lol, outstanding my Friend.

hey Joe, yep thats it, it was a tough little piece, I think it will work, thanks man

Put some aluminum in front of this guy and you never know what you're gonna get.

Nice work, Bill

thanks so much Alyn Ol buddy, see you tomorrow nite

it was challenging for me, I appreciate it bro

Bill you sure make it look easy and i am itching to go and finally buy the mini lathe i wanna pick up. I also want a mini end mill but figured i better get one at a time... haha

Edited by Mooneyzs

pffttt pure coolness !!!!!!

thanks Richard

Bill you sure make it look easy and i am itching to go and finally buy the mini lathe i wanna pick up. I also want a mini end mill but figured i better get one at a time... haha

you are too kind Chris, you only live once bro! life is short! the time has come lol, thanks man

Beautiful! Just gorgeous!

I know that sinking feeling... I swear, sometimes I think I spend as much time looking for parts I've dropped as I do making them...

thanks Mark, really means a lot!, I think I've spent more time on my hands and knees now than I did when I was kid pushing cars and trucks around, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I keep a flashlight on the floor. At least I always know where it is…

Heaven forbid I drop something in the garage (where I do my machine work and real car stuff) and it hits the concrete.

My wife finds stuff I can't after (what seems like) hours of searching in (what seems like) seconds or minutes.

Oh the days... when rug burns were a source of real achievement.

Wait, finding that lost part is an accomplishment!

Heaven forbid I drop something in the garage (where I do my machine work and real car stuff) and it hits the concrete.

My wife finds stuff I can't after (what seems like) hours of searching in (what seems like) seconds or minutes.

LOL I hear ya Mark, those were the days, unfortunately I do all of my work in the garage

Im sorry im new but I just had to join to say what you have done is amazing. I was just trying to learn how to strip a screwed up paint job and I found this thread and could not stop checkin out the next page of pics, well now I have to check out the rest of the site and I can't wait to see your next update

Bill, the yoke looks spot on. Are you planning on machining a cross shaft for a fully functioning u-joint? I'm guessing "yes" :)

Derek, if you haven't already checked out Bills California Charger, do youself a favor and do so.

Under glass:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59550&hl=%2Bcalifornia+%2Bcharger

WIP:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53715&hl=%2Bcalifornia+%2Bcharger

well worth a few hours of your day :)

A couple of months ago, I grabbed an inexpensive apron at a local fabrics store. A plain white, heavy cotton apron that was sold with the intent of it being further decorated. I rolled the bottom edge over a couple of times and secured the roll with some of those little black binder clips (office supply). When I sit at my desk to work on small parts, I put on the apron, then open the center drawer and lay the bottom end of the apron on the drawer. After closing the drawer, the rolled edge keeps the apron from slipping out. This creates a catch-all bib between you and the small parts you're working on. (When I remember) to wear the apron, the little parts that try to make a run for it fall into the apron and are easy to retrieve. It has saved the day almost everytime I use it. Highly recommended, and cheap. Besides, my old knees hate the hard concrete floor in my model space.

This is generally what is referred to as a jeweler's bib or apron. Certainly not my invention. If you don't have a center drawer to capture the end of the apron, you could sew on some snaps and attach the opposite snap to your work bench, or sew a loop in the end of the apron to insert a wooden dowel rod along with a method to hold the rod in place.

In any case, it works great to avoid those times when you're on you knees trying to calculate whether the time to to find the part exceeds the time to make a new one.

Edited by Alyn