Model Cars Magazine Forum

iHobby Preview from IMC

SteveG

OK well here's the bad news ...... Ernie Petit has pulled out out of the project, he was not able to resolve the legal road block that was in our way. It was not for lack of effort or money as the funds were available for three years of licensing to both GM and Chrysler.

The good news is he sold his all interests to the owner of the molding facility that we were using which has all the tooling anyway. It's all still right here in the US. I can also say that the updating and restoration of the 59 Rambler Wagon tooling was completed and is ready to run.

From this point on it's hard to say what will happen, my Product Development deal was with Ernie and ended when he pulled out. I've opened up talks with the new owner and a third party well known to the forum to try to get thing moving again.

In the mean time I would like to wish my friend Ernie Petit a very happy retirement !! Considering he worked until his late 70's and has over 40 years in the hobby industry, he's certainly earned it. I'm just very sorry he couldn't see his last dream fulfilled.

-Steve

So does this mean IMC is no more?

Ernie held the rights to the Illinois Model Company name .... I can't say if it will be used again, the new owner isn't declosing his plans to me at this time. Let's just say it's all on hold until further notice.

I can say that the new owner has contacts with other industry insiders that we all know and respect that could get things moving again. I would say more but I don't have the OK to talk for any of these parties like I did for Ernie.

I am curious what that legal road block was however and wonder if Okie hasn't been battling it all this time?

I suspect his issue is money. From everything I've read, he sounds like a "go it alone" type guy, who doesn't have the money to invest in the molding, mold repair, and raw material supply to actually make any new kits from whatever tooling he may possess. I am pretty sure he made and sold resin cast interiors for the '55 Plymouth (Pontiac?), which leads me to believe he doesn't have the ability to make any new injection molded kits nor part with whatever molds he owns.

While it would be nice, just for curiosity's sake, what he doe have an in what condition it is in, I suspect we would be a bit disappointed to hear/read the truth...and some just don't want to give up on the dream that JoHan will rise from the ashes and be a player in the injection molded kit business again.

I suspect his issue is money. From everything I've read, he sounds like a "go it alone" type guy, who doesn't have the money to invest in the molding, mold repair, and raw material supply to actually make any new kits from whatever tooling he may possess. I am pretty sure he made and sold resin cast interiors for the '55 Plymouth (Pontiac?), which leads me to believe he doesn't have the ability to make any new injection molded kits nor part with whatever molds he owns.

While it would be nice, just for curiosity's sake, what he doe have an in what condition it is in, I suspect we would be a bit disappointed to hear/read the truth...and some just don't want to give up on the dream that JoHan will rise from the ashes and be a player in the injection molded kit business again.

I can't speak for Okey but I can give you some figures and you can do your own math ...... Licensing agreements start at about $10,000. Tooling to replace a set of missing wheel backs was $3000. Total repairs and replacement tooling for the '59 Rambler SW exceeded $30,000. All new tooling for a car kit is typically over $100,000 that's if done overseas. The total investment in IMC was well over the cost of a new tool.

Here's some more math to consider, say the production cost is $10.00 a kit, how many kits do you have sell before you get your money back on a new tool, yet make a profit ? Now you know why the average Joe insn't in the Plastic Model Kit business.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, who do I have to kill to get some of these?

Despite the fact these three kits or on hiatus for now, earlier versions can still be found on eBay and other sources without too much trouble. The Olds is ridiculously easy to find in mint condition as a promo.