Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Revell '85 Camaro Z/28

On 10/13/2012 at 11:34 AM, Rob Hall said:

There was also another Snap Tite issue of an '82 before the S&S version, also in red on the box art?

On 10/13/2012 at 1:40 PM, Hawk312 said:

Sorry guys, it is actually an `83 that I have. I`ll post pics below. I posted pictures of the body cause I thought it was interesting that the engine bay and inner fenders are molded as a separate piece.....and this is a snap kit!

2012-10-13142944Copy.jpg

This page is from the '84 Monogram catalog, showing both (nearly identical) 1/24 scale Snap-Tite '83 Camaro Z/28 kits:

Monogram1984Catalog18-vi.jpg

Last reissued in late 2012/early 2013, I wouldn't be surprised to see this one again semi-soon:

MonoDR85CamaroZ28.jpg.1c12c4c2b89da4af15ec03b317ac305c.jpg

17 hours ago, Casey said:

This page is from the '84 Monogram catalog, showing both (nearly identical) 1/24 scale Snap-Tite '83 Camaro Z/28 kits:

Monogram1984Catalog18-vi.jpg

Last reissued in late 2012/early 2013, I wouldn't be surprised to see this one again semi-soon:

MonoDR85CamaroZ28.jpg.1c12c4c2b89da4af15ec03b317ac305c.jpg

Thanks for sharing Casey! I love looking at those old catalogs. Ahh, the memories...

It would be nice to see that `85 kit reissued with IROC decals and wheels. Just saying. :) They would also need to change the front grill back to the old design on the `83 kit though. 

• 1 month later...

What was the E, Casey? A Euro market car? I don't remember that car in kit or 1:1

OK, 106 built, Auto Motor und Sport tested. Very little on web about the 1:1. I'd have bought that kit if I knew it existed. 

Like the Mustang T-5. Cool. Learned something.Thx man

Edited by keyser
info

Lol

Just edited my post. Found article in German (awful auto-translated one elsewhere, but my German reading is passable. No idea they kitted that. 

Just found this. Called GT-Z as well? 

Cool, it had headlight covers, folding mirrors, diff TL, rear fogs

Year production #'s
1982 1300
1983 550
1984 487
1985 204

So that means in the four years that the Z28-E was produced there where only 2541 made. Those numbers where not included in the USA production numbers.

107487d1133425028-rescearching-z28-e-history-z28e.jpg

103040d1127083017-rescearching-z28-e-history-camaros2.jpg

Edited by keyser

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Here are both the '82 Z/28 (Simon & Simon) and '83 Z/28E Camaros in the 1986 Monogram catalog:

3gcamarosMono86.jpg.9e7644359b33c995e309d8a609fcd8a1.jpg

And in the '87 catalog:

Mono1987Catalog23.jpg.13e45820859448e1439843fe08c2ecf1.jpg

That's interesting that they have both the Camaro kits with two different front bumpers available at the same time. It would really be nice to see the older front end again. That 83 seems exceptionally rare.

Are those outer-amber lenses functional as parking lights or running lights ? 

I'm familiar with the amber turn signals / hazard lamps being required in many --if not all--  European countries (Australia as well ; not sure about New Zealand) , but I'm surprised by the outer lamps' amber colour .

* I wish that the U.S. would require amber turn signals / hazard lamps as well . Red is an improper colour ; red means "stop" ---- are we supposed to stop for someone's lane-change ? 

1 hour ago, keyser said:

What was the E, Casey? A Euro market car? I don't remember that car in kit or 1:1

Curtis mentioned it on the previous page: 

On 11/13/2018 at 1:48 PM, kelson said:

If I remember correctly the 'E 'was there cause Z28 Camaro's sold in Europe had louverless hoods and I think no fog lights.

13 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Are those outer-amber lenses functional as parking lights or running lights ? 

I'm familiar with the amber turn signals / hazard lamps being required in many --if not all--  European countries (Australia as well ; not sure about New Zealand) , but I'm surprised by the outer lamps' amber colour .

* I wish that the U.S. would require amber turn signals / hazard lamps as well . Red is an improper colour ; red means "stop" ---- are we supposed to stop for someone's lane-change ? 

I believe it's to do with the requirement of being able to see the rear turn signal from the side of the vehicle, which is not possible with the US taillights, hence the wrap-around amber portion. Chevy used the wrap around red in the US since it doubled as the rear-side marker light. However, I'm not sure if this is also why the amber takes up two "sections" of the taillight assembly. It seems like they could have just used the corner "section" for the turn signal, and used the other two non-reverse portions for the brake and fog lights (or use one of the reverse lights as the fog light like they do on other vehicles).

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 9:29 AM, Jordan White said:

I believe it's to do with the requirement of being able to see the rear turn signal from the side of the vehicle, which is not possible with the US taillights, hence the wrap-around amber portion. Chevy used the wrap around red in the US since it doubled as the rear-side marker light. However, I'm not sure if this is also why the amber takes up two "sections" of the taillight assembly. It seems like they could have just used the corner "section" for the turn signal, and used the other two non-reverse portions for the brake and fog lights (or use one of the reverse lights as the fog light like they do on other vehicles).

Looking at photos on the web, the outermost section seems to be not lighted.  GM probably just switched the turn signal and the brake light sections, and make the outermost section amber as well.

I think it is ok to not have the turn signal wraparound the tail at least up to the 80's, but it must be in the outermost position in many European countries.  Red side marker is also not legal; our Euro-spec Volvo during the Ford era still had them wired, but in amber instead.

Edited by fumi

• 1 year later...